Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I haven't purchased an intake yet, but i've been looking into the Injen one because of the price vs the FSwerks.
A dumb thing i've been wondering about is when installing the CAI on the FiST, does the CAI clamp directly onto on side of the turbo? or does it clamp onto another plastic L shaped tube thats off the turbo??
When looking down the side I cannot see the turbo and I think I saw that the L shaped tube on the stock intake was bolted onto something behind the engine? perhaps the turbo that i cannot see? i just thought it was strange that it would be bolted on and no one has posted a DYI with pics yet so just thought i'd ask before purchasing!

Also, anyone remove their engine cover and notice our plastic valve cover?
plastic.. straaaaange

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

If you take a look at this picture it does not look like you could directly clamp the injen or fswerks onto the turbo without the use of part 9c623a and the intake coming after it

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
the stock intake is NOT bolted to anything behind the engine. the stock L-shaped tube, or intake midsection as I sometimes call it cos I have no idea what the proper name is - is only secured by those two studs you can see after removing the plastic engine cover. It's a 12mm ball stud (use a deep socket) and a 10mm nut. remove the rubber & metal grommet inserts from the intake midsection and there you go. On the back of the motor, the intake L-tube connects to the turbo itself. Loosen the clamp a lot using a 7mm ratcheting box wrench and unseat the rubber coupler from the turbo then remove the intake tube.

it is worth noting that most of these intake companies will send you 8mm clamps for your intake so be aware of the size change.

the airbox itself is secured by a T-30 torx screw just inboard of the driver's side headlight on the radiator filler panel. disconnect the harness for the airbox. use a torx driver (i forget what size) to remove the blade MAF sensor from the OEM airbox. install onto injen/cobb/fswerks intake tube. secure tube.

after disconnecting the airbox from the OEM intake tubes, disconnect the airbox snorkel. then just pull up, if I recall correctly, and the airbox should pull straight up and out.

after this, install your heat shield, pop on the conical intake filter and voila

and your image link did not work but the Intake L-tube or Midsection is PN# 9c623a on the diagram of the intake system. the injen, fs werks and cobb intake ALL omit this piece and connect directly to the turbo.

the Injen Intake is just $250.80 at ModBargains.com - Injen SP Air Intake for 2014+ Ford Fiesta ST
the FSWerks Intake's heat shield looks like it would be less effective, but I haven't yet seen one in person so it is hard to tell.
all of the intakes on the market have issues- we'll see what Cobb does for their intake system but the Mountune system, Injen and FSWerks all have their pros and cons, so it may just come down to personal preference.
for me it was fit and finish that sold me on the injen and I liked their heat shield design more

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry about the picture, but thanks for clarifying about that mid-section!
also, any pics of your injen intake?? I'm really liking the black
and what do you think are the cons on the injen?

·
Registered
923 Posts
I've had no issues with my FSWERKs intake. I agree the heat shield leaves a little something to be desired, but according to IATs on the Cobb V3 the intake design has not equated to increased IATs much (maybe 2-3 degrees if that). Having an efficient intercooler means that temps at the filter mean very little.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
sorry about the picture, but thanks for clarifying about that mid-section!
also, any pics of your injen intake?? I'm really liking the black
and what do you think are the cons on the injen?
you can see my review of the intake and lots of photos here:
Expert Review: INJEN Air Intake for Ford Fiesta STModBargains.com's Blog

I am happy with my Injen intake and the performance improvement offered, it's a great value for the money for actual measurable gains - and the sound of hearing the BPV (it's that "blow off valve sound") when you let off the throttle is pretty bitchin. You really HEAR the turbo doing its thing. I have the wrinkle-black finish version. it looks great.

The cons of the injen are the same as the FS werks unit- and to be honest I think both of these systems are identical. intake temp-at-the-filter is higher with the injen and fswerks units than the mountune setup. It's personal preference, as I said. Peltonracer2 also makes a good point- with an effective intercooler like ours - or even better, an aftermarket fmic, the intake air temp at-the-filter is meaningless because intake air temp at-the-throttle is unchanged.

I personally prefer Injen's heat shield design and I think it's the prettier system - and of the two, it made +3 more hp.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm so torn between the FSwerks and the Injen intake. Not really sure which to get as of yet...are there any major pros and cons between the two? I'm aware of the price difference but aside from that...are there any major installation differences? I'd hate to have to cut or snip anything on the car and I read on some other posts that a hose needed to be cut or something like that for the FSWerks install. I'm a noob and just beginning to get into modding cars. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I'm so torn between the FSwerks and the Injen intake. Not really sure which to get as of yet...are there any major pros and cons between the 2? I'm aware of the price difference but aside from that...
Besides the price difference, aesthetic preference and brand name, the systems are so close in design that they realistically are probably identical in performance. Personally I think the Injen heat shield design is better. From an enthusiast perspective, BOTH units could use a SEALED style airbox. The FS Werks one requires you to cut one connection whereas Injen is 100% plug and play, the FS Werks intake is supported on the backside by the turbo and the injen one isn't.
FS Werks might have a CARB number (but you're in florida so this makes zero difference) while the INJEN unit will definitely get a CARB# in the future. Given that every exotic car I see here in CA is either registered to Florida or Montana, I'm going to guess emissions are not a problem for you.

I like the clean look of the wrinkle black injen intake more because it looks more like OEM to me and less likely to catch someone's attention like a polished intake might.
We just got a shipment of the Injen's in at ModBargains and the red finish is proving to be pretty popular, and $250.80 isn't a bad price at all.

I do however like that Injen is made in the USA (here in Pomona CA, saw it firsthand myself), no idea where FS Werks unit is made.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Besides the price difference, aesthetic preference and brand name, the systems are so close in design that they realistically are probably identical in performance. Personally I think the Injen heat shield design is better. From an enthusiast perspective, BOTH units could use a SEALED style airbox. The FS Werks one requires you to cut one connection whereas Injen is 100% plug and play, the FS Werks intake is supported on the backside by the turbo and the injen one isn't.
FS Werks might have a CARB number (but you're in florida so this makes zero difference) while the INJEN unit will definitely get a CARB# in the future. Given that every exotic car I see here in CA is either registered to Florida or Montana, I'm going to guess emissions are not a problem for you.

I like the clean look of the wrinkle black injen intake more because it looks more like OEM to me and less likely to catch someone's attention like a polished intake might.
We just got a shipment of the Injen's in at ModBargains and the red finish is proving to be pretty popular, and $250.80 isn't a bad price at all.

I do however like that Injen is made in the USA (here in Pomona CA, saw it firsthand myself), no idea where FS Werks unit is made.
Gotcha...thanks for clarifying. I hope to have one ordered within the next week or so. Injen starting to sound really attractive. Thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Is it going to be red piping like that??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
LOL no idea, probably not but it may be a choice. Only cobb knows!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts