Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys -

Anyone know leaving the AP3 plugged in to the OBDII port when the car is off will continue draining the battery? I've noticed it's running when I lock and unlock my car but I'm not sure if the power just stays on a bit after locking up and then shuts off, or if it keeps running. I've noticed the 12V ports don't power accessories when the car is off, so I was hoping the OBDII port was the same case.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now how I didn't think of that, I can't explain :) Still though, does the OBDII port supply power when the car is off and the key isn't nearby, or is all of the accessory power off in that situation?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Official Site Vendor
418 Posts
The OBDII port always has power on all vehicles, so if you don't power the AP off, it will just stay on until the battery dies (which would probably take days, but still could happen).

Ian

·
Registered
340 Posts
Now how I didn't think of that, I can't explain :) Still though, does the OBDII port supply power when the car is off and the key isn't nearby, or is all of the accessory power off in that situation?
Obviously, I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to the Fiesta or Fords by extension, but on my Genesis C. I ran a bluetooth OBDII reader for Torque App. Never drained, and the bluetooth was off when the car was off.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Its odd i have a Scan GaugeII that Plugs into the OBD port and it knows when the car is off and on. The unit powers itself off when the car shuts off.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not to dig up a super old thread but, I used an elm327(obd2) bluetooth adapter and left my phone plugged in while in the car and the next day the battery was dead. I believe I had it plugged into USB for charging it and it apparently still has power when the car is off. This happened months ago and I woke up about to go to work and the battery was dead. I had to run to meijer to get some nice thick jumper cables since I dont have any since I moved.

Come to think of it I cant remember if I had it plugged into the usb port or the cigarette lighter port for charging. I will have to check. Either way one of those still supplies power when the car is off. Either that or the OBD2 was still drawing power(which I find hard to believe since I used to leave it plugged into my saturn all the time previously)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Its odd i have a Scan GaugeII that Plugs into the OBD port and it knows when the car is off and on. The unit powers itself off when the car shuts off.
Cobb can get it to work like that too. It would come in the form of a firmware update for the AP. I'm guessing it isn't a priority right now. They must be "all hands on deck" with the Ecoboost Mustang. I believe others (SCT) are already ahead of them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts