Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have installed the Cobb motor mount and love it! However for purposes of competing in Auto-X, the Cobb mount is the only thing I have that bumps up the class.
I still have the OEM mount sitting around and was contemplating reinstalling it just for events. The Cobb mount reuses the mounting bracket from the OEM piece, which had to be knocked off with a hammer. My question is mainly, can I still use that bracket with the OEM mount or have I compromised some sort of seal or bond which renders the OEM mount useless?

First hand experience is most valuable. I see no reason why it wouldn't work, but hopefully someone has done exactly this and can share the results with me.

UPDATE: Re-installed in my car and ran a whole autocross season with no issues.

F

·
0 Posts
Since no one has replied, I think it depends on how the thing looks, is it bent out of shape? Was it just knocked a bit to loosen it up?
I haven't done the motor mount change myself and don't even know what it looks like though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since no one has replied, I think it depends on how the thing looks, is it bent out of shape? Was it just knocked a bit to loosen it up?
I haven't done the motor mount change myself and don't even know what it looks like though.
Ok so I went ahead and reinstalled the OEM mount because there was no reason I could see why it wouldn't work.
The bracket was just friction mounted around a lip on the mount. While it does require a hammer to get off, it does not need a lot of force. The bracket retains it original shape.
I actually had to use a hammer to get the bracket back on.
I ran 2 Autox events with the remounted OEM part, as well as driven around 1,500 street miles. Nothing odd going on at all.

The only situation I can see this not working is is the car has had the OEM part on for many, MANY miles to the point where the bracket has rusted to the mount and would need enough force to actually bend it while hammering it off.
Keep in mind this is kind of COBB specific, some other RMM come with a new bracket.

Glad I did this, I always say the best modifications are reversible :) That being said I'm putting on the COBB when I swap new tires soon, it is a very good product!

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you're not competing at National-level events I wouldn't worry about switching out the mounts. That's how we usually roll here locally; little things like this that wouldn't make a significant difference on the time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're not competing at National-level events I wouldn't worry about switching out the mounts. That's how we usually roll here locally; little things like this that wouldn't make a significant difference on the time.
My local region is like that too and its awesome. Makes it really easy for newcomers to come have fun and still reasonably compete, but I'm a no excuses kind of guy. Especially when I aim to eventually be up there.
Thanks for the reply, but I ended up bolting it up back together and have not had any problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts