Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It looks like the US cars are wired for the rear fog light. Anyone know if all we need is the UK light switch to make it work?
Thats all i had to do for my Mini to get the rear fog light working (that and the bulb).

·
Registered
162 Posts
You might be able to tap into existing wiring, but you will have to replace the portion of the dash left of the steering column, as their headlight/taillight switches are entirely different - instead of pulling the knob for fog lights there are seperate front/rear switches on either side of the dial.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To bad, i loved my rear Fog lights on my Mini cooper. They also work well for people that tail gate.
:eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's a shame one can't easily retrofit a rear fog. They are a very good safety feature.

When I get behind someone who doesn't know they are for fog I light up my xenons high beams & Hella 500 driving lights. :p

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm curious if the USDM rear housings will support the rear fog bulb - if so, and the wiring is already there (or easy to hack in), you could easily retrofit a small, indiscreet switch somewhere out of sight for it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A rear fog light is a great safety item and should be on all cars in the USA.

BUT, it's not and outside of urban areas or areas with a propensity for foggy conditions, it's a feature largely misunderstood by the public and by law enforcement. For years, I have heard story after story from people that used rear fog lights about being chased down by people so they could kindly tell them that they had a burned out or somehow malfunctioning light in the rear of their car.

Worse yet is the Police Officer that doesn't know what a rear fog light is so he pulls you over for an equipment issue with your car. Sure, you can explain it to him and probably make it all go away, but what if there is another offense in the mix or if you have recently left a bar or any number of other scenarios. As a driver, we just don't want to give the authorities the pretext or probable cause they need to initiate a traffic stop. From that, I'll say I know an Officer that has pulled over Benz drivers before when they are out late at night and they have pulled that complicated headlight knob around and turned on their rear fog light without even knowing it. He caught a few DUI using that pretext to pull them and talk.

Something to think about. Personally, I think it should be standard safety equipment, but almost everyone you know doesn't have a clue what the extra bright single light in the rear of some cars is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts