Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
......"Then again, if you are that worried about it you could always buy a new M3 and the fit and finish would be a bit better ( I am assuming) or maybe even a GTI.... but I didn't buy the car for fit and finish. "

I currently drive a mt Yaris. I'm reading this because i DON'T want the problems associated with a GTI/MINI/Bmw.
I want a more exciting Yaris. CR dings the Fiesta...but it could just be MyFordTouch. I'm also questioning the first 150k miles with Direct Injection. I guess the court's out on that one right now.

Consumer Reports dings just about everything. It's still a 'review', and it is as biased as any other.
Ford Mytouch gets criticized because you can't just sit down and know how to do everything instantly.
The system still put the G37's tech to shame, in a car that's half the price.
Though not perfect, the system isn't difficult to operate (unless you're used to reviewing ice makers).

Reviewers also comment on the 'harsh ride'. You're getting a sport tuned suspension on a $21k car,
expecting a CTS ride is unreasonable. Small light cars with tight suspensions aren't going to be
soft and cozy. The minimal body roll in turns comes at a price.

The Interior is considered 'low rent' by some... The base model is $13k... I think it's spot on for
what it is, maybe a bit better. I'm sure in the long term it will start to rattle... cheap car + tight suspension = rattles imminent.
Ultimately, 'low rent' is objective... an opinion, and like @$$ holes, most of them stink.

This car is in it's second year of production. It has it's growing pains, though none of them "recall" level.

Will this car be as reliable as a Yaris? Hard to tell this early on. I will say this, you don't buy a Fiesta ST
with the intent of driving it like a Yaris... You'll being going through turns a bit faster, getting up to 60 a bit
quicker, driving habits will definitely be more conducive to extra wear and tear... so I'm gonna say this
car might cost a bit more to operate. Tires alone will set you back more.

I say test drive the car... conservative driving you can get 33-35 mpg. I'm getting that right now. If ANY
aspect of the car turns you off, stay in the Yaris. They are dependable economy cars. I can tell you right
now, the Fiesta ST is NOT, nor ever will be a more exciting Yaris.... It's a Fiesta ST... Apples and Oranges...

That got wordy... Sorry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I test drove it. The FiestaST is awesome. I liked the ride. Its a real bargain. Much more of a bargain than a new 18k Yaris.

As i have 3 other Fords...im looking for a daily driver to put 20k a year on....replacing the Yaris. Btw. ..Yaris defines the term low rent!

That's where im coming from. Y'all have a good forum here.
Thanks for your input.

Also, i should remember that Consumer Reports hates the Yaris

·
Registered
282 Posts
428CobraJet, I wasn't too sure where you were in your decision making, so I laid it all out there...

From what I've read, the 1.6L Ecoboost isn't suffering from valve carbonizing as much as the bigger Ecoboosts are.
I think how they're driven, and higher RPM use might be keeping the issue more at bay. An OCC can reduce any
oil in the intake, IF it ever shows as an issue. I don't see why a properly maintained FiST can't last 150k miles.

I commute with Motorcycle/FiST, so I put about 9-11k miles/yr on the cage. I plan on keeping this little hot hatch in the
stable for a while... Do little things to it... an SRI, and a maybe even a magnaflow catback, and I'm done engine wise.
Just make it sound a little angry, to match its looks. I doubt either of these mods will compromise durability.

Good luck in your 'car shopping'. It's the most fun you ever hate doing..... ;)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Five clutches, rattles in the interior, one slave cylinder, a wheel bearing and some chipped paint... and you know what? I wouldn't trade this SOB for anything (under 30K, lol)

Reactions: 428CobraJet

·
Registered
773 Posts
Five clutches, rattles in the interior, one slave cylinder, a wheel bearing and some chipped paint... and you know what? I wouldn't trade this SOB for anything (under 30K, lol)
Just think...at this rate your car will still be brand new when it has 80,000 miles!

Reactions: 428CobraJet

·
Registered
40 Posts
My car at 1200 miles has been rock solid! The doors shut with a BMW like 'thunk.' I have no rattles nor funny sounds. The engine is smooth as silk and kicks ass too. This car is a blast! I love the sounds the engine makes and I am surprised how much I like the keyless ignition, key in pocket, lock the door with the little button business - it's great!

I got a TON of car for a really small amount of money - I couldn't be happier!
photo-1.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mcfly; From what I've read said:
Thanks McFly. Our MotoGuzzi group meets every Tuesday. One guy is a service manager at a VW store. Another is a technician at an independent BMW garage. Their direct injection stories make me cringe!

And Blackbird. ..same pricing as a Fiesta (14-18?). The ST is the bargain.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't see why a properly maintained FiST can't last 150k miles.
It'll last a lot longer than that--I'm putting about 30k/year on mine, so it'll be in the 150k range around the time it's paid off. I'm planning on getting years more after that, too. Even the Protege5 I had before the FiST was abused by its previous owner, driven hard by me and still had plenty of life in it when I sold it at ~200k.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So how are everyone's Fiesta ST's hold up? I'm looking for information about how they are running/looking/feeling after 15K-40K

·
Registered
116 Posts
I figured out after 5 months of ownership neither of the 12v outlets work in my car. The fuse is installed and intact. I assume a connector was left disconnected under the center console but I haven't taken the time to look at it myself and don't want to leave the car at at the dealer to fix it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It'll last a lot longer than that--I'm putting about 30k/year on mine, so it'll be in the 150k range around the time it's paid off. I'm planning on getting years more after that, too. Even the Protege5 I had before the FiST was abused by its previous owner, driven hard by me and still had plenty of life in it when I sold it at ~200k.
how many miles do you currently have?

·
Registered
199 Posts
how did you already go through so many parts?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Morag. Looks like my original estimate was pretty close--I got the car in early May 2014, and I crossed 29,000 today. I'll be passing 30,000 this weekend, taking a road trip to California for a wedding. Everything's holding up great.

·
Registered
76 Posts
as far as fun factor is the best car I've ever driven. more fun than a GTR, not kidding. as far as QUALITY..... i have 22,000 miles. Warranty work that is being processed as of now. Paint flaking on front driver quarter. Rear fender liner torn up. Passenger recaro seat has the leather literally coming off of the foam of the seat on the back of the seat(the leather is no longer attached and is super loose. I never put anything heavy in the back pouch, just a couple pieces of paper. and people rarely sit in the passenger seat because i rarely have passengers). trunk floor has the padding coming off from the under side.
Other problems I've noticed that are not being warrantied because it has never happened to them is that every so often my car refuses to allow me to engaged third gear. yes the clutch is all the way in. and it occurs in both normal and spirited driving.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So how are everyone's Fiesta ST's hold up? I'm looking for information about how they are running/looking/feeling after 15K-40K
Almost to 13K on the odo. Dont remember the exact number.
Still runs good. Get my oil changes done myself regulary (about 5k intervals). My brakes are have been squeaking though when I come to a light stop. Sound started at around 7-8K miles. Isnt a big deal since its not too loud but you can hear it.
Havent had any rattles inside the car. However the paint is ridiculously easy to chip. wish I got a clear bra when I first picked it up off the lot... lol. Other then that, she runs like she did when I picked her up at 33 miles at the dealership.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm almost at 27k. Still loving this car. The only issues with the car that I have had, that I did not create myself, was an issue with the front rotors. I was getting a grinding issue that increased with speed. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the rotors under warranty after a couple of days of a tech trying to figure out what was making the sound. Haven't heard any noises since, so I guess that was it.

Issues that I HAVE created myself were breaking RMMs because I kept cheaping out instead of just getting the Cobb unit. Lost boost because the plug I used to block off the symposer hose popped out. I think that was it, really.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts