Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone buy that Rust proof module thing that ford sells as one of its as-ons? I bought it when I had my 2012 Focus, and when i traded the car in I took the module out, hoping to reconnect it to the FiST. Does anyone know if these modules are actually effective? Or on the topic, does anyone do the annual rust proof sprays?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Rust proof module? More info please. I found some sort of rust bubble the size of a dime under the paint on the roof of my car and taking it to the dealer tomorrow to have it checked out and also to check where this rattle/squeek coming from the dashboard.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rust proof module? More info please. I found some sort of rust bubble the size of a dime under the paint on the roof of my car and taking it to the dealer tomorrow to have it checked out and also to check where this rattle/squeek coming from the dashboard.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
Already? Definitely shouldn't be happening. My Focus rattled and squeeked from the headliner and behind the dash (where the MFT was) like crazy! one of the biggest reasons i decided to swap to the FiST.

The rust proof module looks like a small box (maybe the size of a matchbox) that sits on the fuse box, and it's connected to the battery ground, frame, and positive terminal. Basically creates a charge within the body work that resists rust. Its a $1,000 option I believe, which Is why i took it off the focus when i traded in.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Already? Definitely shouldn't be happening. My Focus rattled and squeeked from the headliner and behind the dash (where the MFT was) like crazy! one of the biggest reasons i decided to swap to the FiST.

The rust proof module looks like a small box (maybe the size of a matchbox) that sits on the fuse box, and it's connected to the battery ground, frame, and positive terminal. Basically creates a charge within the body work that resists rust. Its a $1,000 option I believe, which Is why i took it off the focus when i traded in.

Facepalm

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not sure what that is, I've never heard of anything like that. Not saying it doesn't exist, but it sounds fake to me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not sure if they offer this in the states, but I bought a focus and a fiST at different dealers and both have asked for this option (it's part of the checklist when they ask whether you want extended warranty, 3m for your seats etc). It's done through Tricare, and every year you take it to ford and they test the system and signs off on a warranty paper that you sent to Tricare.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This from an article in the Canadian newspaper The Globe and Mail:

Electronic rust protectors will eat a hole through your wallet and probably won't protect your vehicle any more than it's protected already, according to the Automobile Protection Association.
Dealers charge as much as $800 for the quickly-installed device — a small box that applies a weak electric current to the metal on your vehicle — which normally retails for as low as $150, says APA president George Iny.
The consumer watchdog doesn't recommend the devices, which are based on the concept of cathodic protection used on the submerged parts of bridges and boat motors.
Those devices only work when the metal is submerged in water. While device manufacturers have plenty of anecdotal evidence from satisfied customers, Iny says he's seen no studies showing electronic rust inhibitors actually protect your car on the road.
“Your car's not usually underwater,” Iny says. “I'd like to see a technical report signed by a Canadian engineer that shows the device is effective.”

The article was in reference to a question by a Hyundai owner. Hyundai went on to comment:
Hyundai Canada spokesman Chad Heard says Hyundai dealers are independently operated businesses and are free to “offer value-added services to their customers.
The only value add is to the dealer who uses your money to line their pockets.
This from Canada and I believe we invented rust. Better to invest in some blinker fluid as noted above.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sacrificial anodes only work when submerged because there is a source of free electrons... IE Pipelines or ships hulls

1 - 11 of 11 Posts