Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,234 Posts
I guess I got the last one. Damn Aussies :)

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 2
Not a bad thing as you have a car too put it in I just have a ETA . One question on the shift knob is it me or did it seem to be missing a gear ? or am I just not seeing 6th ... good to know we have options for shifter knobs though ...

· Registered
2,234 Posts
It's not missing a gear that's for sure. I may have not thrown it into sixth? I can't remember.

I rarely use sixth to be honest.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 2
You are correct I went back and looked at the Video after my coffee and yes the light messed with my eyes and a thought 6 was a 4 my bad .. sorry for the delay carry on ;)

Reactions: ConST

· Registered
2,234 Posts
Santa brought me a Mountune quick shift and airbox. Since the airbox had to come out to install the shift kit, I figured to do both.

Mountune markets the shift kit as "easy to install". That is British for "small hands required". So, lessons learned the hard way for your consideration.

Be ready to unclip more connections than instruction pictures show. The OEM shift pin puller tool supplied is 15/16" because its a tough pull. It helps to use a rachet and socket on top so shift arm can be pushed back and forth to enable open end wrench to make a 1/16 turn on nut before turning it over and getting another 16th.

Do not drop the pin puller on top of the tranny, there is a place under the battery support you cannot see or find where the hex head fits perfectly and cannot be ticked out. Braille method from wheel well is only option move it back out to visibility if this mistake occurs.

Cut a slot in end of the hex screw that pins new assembly to shift arm before you start assembly so you can use a very thin slotted screwdriver from the top to pull the hex screw up through OEM shift arm past hand tighten point. Be ready for Braille key work anyway.

Curse Colin Chapman and all his small-handed cousins regularly, IMO he invented the concept of "possible is good enough".

It would take a magic elf to tighten the rear pinch screw, so get it about right before putting the new arm over the OEM arm.

Clean blood off nice new hoses before it dries.

Love the shifter now, seems much more natural. But 6th gear is just a bit shorter than 2 and 4, I may not have perfectly implemented my own advice on rear pinch screw.

Air box fits very well, but cold air supply routing per instructions is absurd. You either pinch the new hose beyond reason, or get under car and fabricate a harness to hold hose and open end where you want it. I did the latter.
Well put on the Shift kit .. Did you make sure you have full engagement of 6th gear some like me have a fitment problem (the rear shifter arm hits the main shifter cable attachment nylon clip) and I am to understand that Mountune has a updated part enroute to me as i type I had to mod my install to get a clean engagement into sixth or shift it very softly into 6th.. No after getting the shop manual i find the you can remove the shifter from the trans with two bolts and a few cables removed and one plug for the reverse switch . this after you remove the air intake tube and air box and the batter and battery box.. not for the faint of heart but make it very easy to get after the bottom mounting bolt .. Ill be trying this for the updated part and hope to detail the install to help all the next folks that do this mod.. I do LOVE the new shift feel after the install...

Product Pump Plumbing Auto part Machine
Auto part Vehicle Car Engine

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.