Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I wasn't going to complain, because I figured it was normal, but my wife was driving the FiST yesterday and goes "what's wrong with 3rd, it's all mushy" and I totally agree. But what I actually noticed is that all the gears toward the front of the car are really sloppy and engage poorly. 1, 3 and 5. The thing is 1 and 5 I almost never engage when spirited driving, or at high RPMs, so it's not as noticeable.

So I'll do my best to describe what it feels like. First when it's fully in 3rd gear, you can push the shift knob about 1.5 inches forward in 1st 3rd and 5th. 2nd 4th and 6th are much more solid, if you pull back when in 2,4,6, there is no play, it's fully engaged. Next when I shift 2nd to 3rd, theres a soft spot between 1st and 3rd gear, if i don't move the lever over enough it jams on it, and will actually rest on this soft spot. It doesn't engage 3rd gear, and it's a missed shift. Last when pulling it out of gear, it has a weird feel. When I pull out of 3rd it's really hard to get it in the neutral position.

I might give my Ford dealer a call and see if I can jump in the other Fiesta ST they have on the lot and see if it's the same as mine, but I have yet to see anyone on here complain about this issue.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I expect we have cable shift linkages. It could be that there is a bit of slop in the attachment fitting. The dealership should be able to tighten it up for you. That's my best guess.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I recognize that soft spot you speak of between 1st and 3rd. Ive hit that spot many times and its annoying as fuck. Shouldnt be that easy to hit when shifting.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not linkages per say but yes we do have two shift cables and there is a adjustment for them here LINKY
Rodmoe, I did this shifter adjustment, and it seems a tiny bit better, but i'm not really amazed with the change. What exactly is this adjusting?

The biggest complaint I have is that pulling it out of gear and putting into gear (especially on the forward gears) releases funny. When you push it in, it doesn't engage until like a tenth of a second after you push it into position. It's like there's something soft slowing it down, and I don't get a positive engagement, like a disconnect between shifting and the transmission. It's a pain if i want to go from 4th to 6th and skip 5th. It doesn't want to release 4th until it's past the neutral position. I'm just disappointed with the shifter action overall, but the odd gears are the worst.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
This adjusts the cable to neutral feel and makes sure the cars is neutral in all gears . (if that makes sense.. in lay terms it "centers the shifter to neutral" It is about the only outside adjustment I know of .. If still not happy a trip to the dealer may be of some use.. I know they (dealer) were much use on my 2011 6 speed Mustang.. said nope that just the way it is .. pretty much never went back there again..

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
This adjusts the cable to neutral feel and makes sure the cars is neutral in all gears . (if that makes sense.. in lay terms it "centers the shifter to neutral" It is about the only outside adjustment I know of .. If still not happy a trip to the dealer may be of some use.. I know they (dealer) were much use on my 2011 6 speed Mustang.. said nope that just the way it is .. pretty much never went back there again..
Alright, that makes sense. Maybe i'll try having someone move the shift knob slightly forward when I do the adjustment to see if it cleans anything up. I checked the inventory and my dealer doesn't currently have any FiSTs on the lot so I could jump in and compare to see if mine is worse or normal. It does seem to get slightly better as the transmission heats up, and it is worse when it's freezing cold (to be expected)

Also in some of the reviews I read it said the transmission responsiveness was better than the Focus, which makes me think it's just my car (stupid build quality)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
WOW I would have that torn aprt seeing if something isnt in the way of the cables as they move the levers on the trans (but you said you adjusted it) or I would that shift out and looking under there it seems a little weak or sloppy and take it to the Dealer and throw the shifter threw his/hers shop window if they won't look into it.. My guess is maybe they can warrenty the shifter and try a new one.. IDK just a guess

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
587 Posts
I kinda felt like I have come acrossed this a time or two. Mine happens mainly when going from 5th to 6th. It goes straight into the 4/6 gear nub instead of straight into the gear. If i try to put it in gear, it goes just fine. However I feel like i have run into this in a minor form as well. Occasionally in 3rd/4th.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
FIXED!!!!!

oh my god it's like a whole different car with a proper shifter!!

ok here is the issue, on the input side the cable under the shift boot, the shaft that does the front to back action was completely dislodged out of place:

Here is what it SHOULD look like, really easy to fix, but I would bet a million dollars it was assembled incorrectly, also it is pretty easy to dislodge and I bet it becomes a fairly frequent issue.

also so I highly recommend everyone does the shifter adjustment. It is only for left to right action, but it's really easy to do and helps engagement if you're having any issues.

pics posted up side down (but are correct on my phone)

Bonus video of how it shifts after fixing it:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Reactions: ryst
1 - 15 of 15 Posts