Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, so I recently purchased a brand new fiesta st.

I had high hopes but am so let down by the car.

The gear shifting is horrendous in this car. Often it just won't go into gear. Getting it into reverse is a nightmare at times, there's an awful screeching type noise when I've tried to put it into reverse.

Even gear 3 doesn't shift smoothly, getting it into 3rd is rough. Downshifting into 1st is always an issue. I drove a real crappy car before this one and it's a night and day difference, my old car had none of this.

I kinda hate driving the car to be honest. Everyone is going on about how great these cars are, not my experience at all.

I'm hoping this is due to it still being new, but something tells me that this is just how the car is.

Sucks.

Any advice other than selling it lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi, so I recently purchased a brand new fiesta st.

I had high hopes but am so let down by the car.

The gear shifting is horrendous in this car. Often it just won't go into gear. Getting it into reverse is a nightmare at times, there's an awful screeching type noise when I've tried to put it into reverse.

Even gear 3 doesn't shift smoothly, getting it into 3rd is rough. Downshifting into 1st is always an issue. I drove a real crappy car before this one and it's a night and day difference, my old car had none of this.

I kinda hate driving the car to be honest. Everyone is going on about how great these cars are, not my experience at all.

I'm hoping this is due to it still being new, but something tells me that this is just how the car is.

Sucks.

Any advice other than selling it lol.
You must be the are drivers who do not like the gear/ shifter, the English love the ST and rave over it.
You may not be aware that the gearbox is not in line/ below the shifter, thus has a few clunky linkages to the gearbox mounted on left of the engine.--not the best situation for smooth gear shifts. The early Alfa Romeo 2000 had a gear box near the rear axle and linkages to the shifter- it had a terrible reputation of poor shifting gears issues.

It takes me a while to accept the ST manual after driving my FG XR6 Turbo with the superb Z tri auto gearbox. Two very different driving vehicles--but both very enjoyable.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You must be the are drivers who do not like the gear/ shifter, the English love the ST and rave over it.
You may not be aware that the gearbox is not in line/ below the shifter, thus has a few clunky linkages to the gearbox mounted on left of the engine.--not the best situation for smooth gear shifts. The early Alfa Romeo 2000 had a gear box near the rear axle and linkages to the shifter- it had a terrible reputation of poor shifting gears issues.

It takes me a while to accept the ST manual after driving my FG XR6 Turbo with the superb Z tri auto gearbox. Two very different driving vehicles--but both very enjoyable.
If it's brand new, it's still under warranty! Get it fixed instead of moaning about it! I've got 95,000 on mine with absolutely no transmission problems. Try using the clutch to change gear!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts