Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

Some questions you might be happy answer...

10K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  kiteboarder 
#1 ·
Ok, so even after putting many miles behind a loaner Fiesta ST and writing more than 3,000 words on FiST, I still have some questions!

However, these are because I'm likely a future FiST owner. In fact, my car is on order. 6 weeks wait they said.

This is what I need to know:

1. Can you turn the keyless/buttonless FOB thingy off on command and use a regular key?

Reason is, I surf. I need to be able to turn the thing off and leave the FOB inside the car safely with the car locked shut (or leave it at home) and bring a good ol' regular metal key with me in my wetsuit. Can this be done? Back when I had my NC Miata there was a metal "valet key" inside the FOB that you could use. And yes, the system could be turned off. I can't bring an electronic key with me to the water. And no, leaving the key FOB tucked/hidden somewhere outside near the car is not an option. I always bring my car key with me tied inside my wetsuit. It's the safest way to do it.

2. How good is the MyFord touch system?

When I did the review of the car, I was paying attention to the driving. I didn't care much for the stereo system. Now that I'm buying one, I do. See, the Sync System in my old 2011 Mustang Premium SUCKED!!! I do not want anything like that ever again. Oftentimes, It wouldn't connect to my phone, wouldn't play my music, all sorts of problems. The system in my GTI has the same issues. It doesn't always want to connect to my iPhone. Sometimes it does. If I'm playing music through my phone (iTunes or Pandora) I have to change songs via the phone itself. The system will not do it from the steering wheel or stereo head itself. Then, every time I get in and out of the car for a coffee stop or whatever, ifI turn the car off, I have to physically connect it all up again when I'm back. Awful. Now, in my 2013 Tacoma, the system ALWAYS works. My phone connects and my music is playing immediately when I turn the key, my phone calls work, everything works like a dream.

I don't want to end up with a crappy system in the FiST. Please enlighten me. I like many things about Ford, but their reputation for infotainment systems is on par with Subaru (not that great).

See less See more
#2 ·
Not positive about #1, but I think you're out of luck on that. I haven't had any problems with MFT, even though I expected to hate it based on what I've read. I use voice commands with it mostly and it works well. It's worth noting that the system has been updated several times since your 2011 Mustang.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I don't think there is a key switch in the ST not like was in the Challengers I had where you could pop out the start button and insert the fob to turn the starter. this one only has the steering column area you can get your fob near but NO key or mech switch..
As for a valet option you can use the "MY KEY" option to limit car speed and other things ..
Sync is lots better in this car as was stated

#5 ·
1. Can you turn the keyless/buttonless FOB thingy off on command and use a regular key?

I don't believe you can. The FOB does have a mechanical key, but I just popped it out and locked the car, threw the FOB in the front seat, and then closed the door. As soon as the door closed it honked at me twice again and I could still open the door. Short of installing a kill switch on the ignition power, I don't know if this is possible.

2. How good is the MyFord touch system?

I've seen this system in action in other Ford cars and I know what people are talking about when they say it sucks. I don't feel this one does. I've also had a lot of rental cars. Hyundais, VWs, etc.... I still like mine over theirs, so take that for what you will. I will say that it is kinda slow and cumbersome when the voice repeats all of the options back to you, but if you get used to the voice commands, and then put the Voice Recognition in "Advanced Mode" it skips narrating the options and I REALLY think it makes it MUCH faster and infinitely more usable. I've never had any issues with the system syncing with my phone (HTC One M7) and it hasn't given me problems reading my music library on my Nano Flash drive that I leave plugged into the armrest.

Apart from the interface, What made you think the system sucked?

I only ask because a number of members on here have agreed that what the system is lacking is in EQ control and in HU power output. Without doing a lot of work or spending a lot of money, I don't know that the EQing can be helped. However, I installed a Kenwood under-seat Amp/sub and one other member has also done so on my suggestion and was happy with the result. If you don't want to give up limited real estate area in the car, check out my thread on it. http://www.fiestast.org/forum/fiesta-st-electronics/2266-system-build.html

Its probably the best bang for buck upgrade for this system in my opinion.

Congrats on the purchase, and good luck. :)

#6 ·
@sabrelime - Hi, thanks for the awesome feedback. I didn't say the system in the FiST sucked. I was referring to the one in my 2011 Mustang (Sync). I felt it was awful. I have no experience with the one in the Fiesta ST.

The key FOB thing really is a big problem though. I surf a few times a week. In my other cars I lock the FOB inside the car, in a little combination safe I install. That way, if someone breaks into the car, they can't steal it because they cannot get a hold of the FOB or key at that's locked too within the car. I bring my metal valet key with me.

I really need to be able to lock the key inside. I haven't looked. Is there no keyhole in the driver's door? What happens if you arrive at the car with a dead battery? How do you get in?

That's quite the dilemma. I can't lock the FOB inside, nor can I bring it with me surfing. I might need to look into waterproofing the key then. Dang modern cars!

I know there's this spray people use on their cell phones to waterproof them. Seems far-fetched, but I don't know what else to think.

#7 ·
take the key out of the fob, put in pocket, then, take battery out of fob, put both in glove box. there is a key hole in the driver door.

#10 ·
Thanks for the photo. I’d need something a little better than a ziplock bag, but that’s an option. A bit of hassle because the key compartment in my wetsuit is really small.

Regardless, there has to be a way to disable it. I’ll try and get a hold of a manual. That way, the FOB can stay in the car, I take the tony key with me, then when I come back, I enable it and start the car as usual.

This is the way it is with the Miatas. I’d be surprised if Ford didn’t somehow work this feature in.

#11 ·
just squeeze the two bumps on the side of the fob together, and take off the back. and with a credit card, or something similar, split the two halves of the fob and take out the battery. But be carefull, my dealer said these things are like 500$. A friend of mine dropped his Cherokee fob, 400$.

#22 ·
I surf too…and I have just worked out a way to do it!

1. take the metal blade out of the key fob, and put the plastic cover back on the fob
2. lock the car with the fob (lock once only - do not lock twice to activate the alarm). At this stage all the doors and the boot/trunk are locked.
3. go to the back of the car holding the fob, and open the hatch using the push button on the hatch near the number plate
4. inside your boot/trunk, have a small metal box with a lid and some aluminum foil (about a square foot is enough)
5. fold up the foil so its a few layers thick, then wrap the key in the foil and put it in the box
6. close the hatch making sure you have the metal blade in your hand.
7. put the blade in the key pouch of your wetsuit and hit the water!
8. when you come back, use the blade to open the driver's door.
9. reach through to the back of the car and fold down the rear seat
10. grab your key out of the box and you're good to go!

woo hoo!

#13 ·
I'll say the Sync system is way better than the previous gen. It just works. Not sure about changing the music from steering wheel controls, but it works much better than my gf's Tiguan.And yeah, should just be able to pop that metal key out and manually lock/unlock. To lock your key in your car, lock the car with the fob and all doors closed. Pop the hatch, toss the key in (spare tire well maybe), and close it. It may relock (other cars I've had do this - haven't ever tried locking them in the FiST). I can try tonight if you'd like.

#15 ·
Hmmm. Maybe I'm getting confused on the key system because of the push button start. Hold on. The keyless system in in the FiST is not automatic? Or is it? Meaning, does the FOB make the doors go unlocked just by getting close to the vehicle with the FOB in your pocket like in many cars today? Or do you physically have to press the button? It has been a while since I have driven one. I'm under the assumption it opens automatically since it has a push-button start, therefore you wouldn't have to even take the FOB out of your pocket. However, if you would need to press the unlock button then that's a whole other story.

If that's the case, locking the FOB inside the car and using a spare key to lock the car as SpaceFish states below should not be a problem. The problem is with the automatic systems, since it detects the key is in the car and won't let you lock it unless you disable it (Mazda MX-5 Miata GT 2006+)

Most likely there's a normal key blank that you could get the removable key copied onto that would be easier for you to deal with (putting on a keyring or whatever).

#17 ·
The My Ford Touch system doesn't suck like previous gens. IF you go for NAV, that's where most of
my frustration has been found. 9 times out of 10 the voice recognition system will NOT find what you're
looking for... that means pulling over, and trying to find it on the MFT screen, which has also been frustrating
at times. So, the NAV is my only sore spot. The Sirius XM works great, the bluetooth works great for music
on my iPhone, as well as phone function.

If you get the NAV, the "Ford Destinations APP" is the easiest way to find something and upload it to the
GPS. The APP works well, and uploads via "services" and calls your car to upload the info. OH! The
"Ford Destinations APP" won't work while you're moving in the car either, so plan your trip before you leave!

#18 · (Edited)
^^^ OK thanks. I think that settles it. I'm pretty sure that I can work around it. (This was actually for @LowFlyin').

@McFly - Sounds good. I'm not getting NAV. I prefer to use my photo for that. I'm always afraid a car's NAV system will go obsolete before I'm done with the car. So, I prefer leaving the really techy stuff for my phone - since I update that every 2 years anyway.

#19 ·
^Thats the right thing to do.

But, every single FiST comes with a few years of Sync Services, which gives you turn by turn directions (not maps based, but route turn-based because every FiST has a GPS). I still prefer Waze running over Spotify streaming from my phone, no need for satellite. Perfect nav/audio setup for me.

#20 · (Edited)
I have no experience with any other in-car systems, the FiST SYNC is my first. I am an iPhone guy and I can say that it connects seamlessly every time. My wife and daughter also have connections, and it is a breeze to swap between them. You can also plug in the iPhone and use it like an iPod. That allows you to control it better than the bluetooth connection. I have not figured out all of the voice commands with it, but it can do more than I am using right now.

It is 22 degrees here today, so reading about your surfing is making me very jealous! Sounds awesome. You will need the FOB, but you can just leave the batteries out of it. There is a RFID backup in the FOB to allow the car to start when the batteries in the FOB are dead. Just pop off the cover on the column and insert the FOB. There is a good writeup here:

Keyless ignition, backup key blade & alt. starting/lock procedures if key fob is dead

UPDATE: I double-checked my car and I do not have the ability to access this little slot, so it must be on older or European cars or something. Might still work, I'll have to check the owner's manual because now I am curious.

#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.