Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand what it is, but I have a couple of questions...

It has no other function than to let engine noise into the interior, correct?
Does t work at all times or just at WOT?
Can it be turned off? I might like it, but am not sure about my wife.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Its barely noticable when driving normal...only when you step on it youll hear it in higher rpm range. I forget its even there when driving. Its definately not annoying like exhaust drone. But I believe it can be unplugged from the front of the engine, someone correct me if im wrong.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
It can def be unhooked and blocked off. Seen that on the mustangs. Why would you want to though. Really makes car :) Everybody that rides with me compliments how good the car sounds. It really only comes into play when you're above 2500 rpms and on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was hoping that if it were on a Butterfly valve, it could just be turned off on someone had come up with a simple mod.. I am going to have a tough sell with my wife. She already has a problem with losing AWD, smaller size, probably the seats, and that it is a FORD. We both have newer WRXs and I really don't need a new car. I have always liked smaller, quicker cars and the WRX just seems big to me anymore. Thanks for the quick replies.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I like it too and I'm an old man. LOL

·
Registered
152 Posts
I doubt she would notice it. This is a pretty quiet car when you are just tooling around town. It's quieter than my wife's 2013 Forester.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Just don't tell her it's there. If that is the reason you don't buy the car...you never would have bought it in the first place.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If she drives stick, let her drive this. She will probably like it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
She's been driving manuals since 1975

I like it too and I'm an old man. LOL
Probably not as old as me.

I doubt she would notice it. This is a pretty quiet car when you are just tooling around town. It's quieter than my wife's 2013 Forester.
She likes a car with a nice sound. She loved my WRX with the Prodrive Oval Exhaust. I think it will be something about the pitch of the 1.6 that will bother her.

Just don't tell her it's there. .
She knows, she has read up on the car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think the Sound Symposer is fantastic. Really gives the car some character. If I wasn't the sort of person who modifies for extra power I probably wouldn't even bother with an exhaust or intake for extra noise. The fact that the manufacturer has spent the time tweaking and tuning the sound means no drone from exhausts and a great note. I also really like that it is pretty much off when you're not putting the boot in. :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
I love the exhaust sounds too - my current 1.6 Turbo has a wicked whipcrack sound when shifting just before redline and an awesome crackling burble when coasting with just a muffler delete and a catless downpipe. That's the only thing I'm going to miss when I move on from it (hopefully can recreate it with the FiST) but if push came to shove and I didn't need to play with the exhaust to get good power gains with tunes I probably wouldn't do exhaust modifications because of the symposer. It can just get too loud and sometimes you're not in the mood for it - especially when you get drone going on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That's the thing, I love the sound of an ultra-aggressive exhaust and that seems to automatically mean drone from what I've seen. I may end up doing a Catless Downpipe and Rear Muffler delete like my current exhaust and install a "Varex" mid muffler that will mean I can choose the noise levels. In Australia, Varex is a company that makes a muffler with a remote-controlled butterfly valve so you can have it quiet or loud or anywhere in between with a remote control. Cool idea but laws are iffy here about it for some stupid reason.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts