Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hey everyone new to forum, just curious to hear people's thoughts .
I have no idea in the real world, but suffice to say at the track the ST would wipe an Si's rear end all over the place. Stock v.s. stock of course. When I say "track" I mean through the twisties and coming out of turns full power. Straight line will depend on driver finesse, but I'd have to give the nod to the ST based on torque. They are fairly close when it comes to acceleration. What the Si gives up down low, it makes up for on the top end (ie: revs). The ST is a MUCH better drivers car in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I had one actually try to start shit with me today - a) I don't street race and b) I had my economy tune loaded, so I was limited to 5psi... but I had never wished so hard for switch-on-the-fly fuel maps.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I had one actually try to start shit with me today - a) I don't street race and b) I had my economy tune loaded, so I was limited to 5psi... but I had never wished so hard for switch-on-the-fly fuel maps.
LOL. I hear ya...

·
Registered
575 Posts
I almost street raced one like 20 mins ago. But too much traffic and am not crazy. Looked like last model 4 door Si

·
Registered
253 Posts
b) I had my economy tune loaded, so I was limited to 5psi... but I had never wished so hard for switch-on-the-fly fuel maps.
This is why i could never run economy maps, haha. I did tune the sti to spring pressure on I though. :) Crazy to me that this car has 5-6 lbs of spring pressure and can hold 21 psi. You guys are going to have a bunch of cool options once atr comes out.

I think these cars have too much torque vs tire. si's have lsd's and no torque so they won't have the traction issues we do. Our cars are far more fun to drive though!

·
Registered
678 Posts
In every day driving, where you aren't shifting at 8000RPM, the Fiesta is by FAR the better, more fun car. You get to use your peak torque even when shifting at 3000RPMs, which is boatloads of fun.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wasn't aware the COBB AP had an economy map, what kind of mileage do you get with that?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I tried using it on long trip i think boost is maxed at 6psi car didn't go over 80mph a bit fast tho for eco driving lol but it was on a hill and I tried to get it over quick. And had like 32 mpg avg. Tried the same trip with stock and avg was 39mpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
i experienced the same thing.

You know what I find Economy mode useful for? Teaching the GF to drive stick in the car, or if anyone but me needs to drive the car, so the power doesn't surprise them

·
Registered
946 Posts
I heard that the eco map is best suited for city stop and go type driving. Highway like stated is somehow worse lol.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have no need of a eco map. I just have an issue staying off the throttle. My previous car was a v6 and I drove that car like a granny and now with the FIST I can't stay off the boost lol and still avg 25mpg city

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey everyone new to forum, just curious to hear people's thoughts .
Very different experiences. It's hard to compare with out knowing what you're looking for. Obviously most of us prefer the fiesta for one reason or another.

My own personal opinion that may be completely wrong? I feel like the SI has gotten softer over the years where the Fiesta ST is the most aggressive small car Ford has made (as far as US spec. cars) in a long time. If you love screaming up to red line the SI is the way to go. As always just an opinion and YMMV.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm a Honda fanboi, and I bought a FiST over a new or late model Si.

Don't know if that tells you anything.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Very different experiences. It's hard to compare with out knowing what you're looking for. Obviously most of us prefer the fiesta for one reason or another.

My own personal opinion that may be completely wrong? I feel like the SI has gotten softer over the years where the Fiesta ST is the most aggressive small car Ford has made (as far as US spec. cars) in a long time. If you love screaming up to red line the SI is the way to go. As always just an opinion and YMMV.
I agree. The Si feels like a sporty Civic. The ST feels like a totally different beast. I gave Katelyn the choice between a Civic SI and a ST. She doesn't even drive SPIRITED and she picked the ST off of all the other features for the price. I also made that choice. This is the FIRST domestic sporty-like I ever considered buying for myself. Now that I can drive hers all day, I WANT ONE. WHY WOULD ANYONE NEED 2? Because. I love this little car, even without the crazy top end speed. It has one of the best factory suspension setups I have ever felt. The torque romp of the little 1.6L is pretty amazing for what it is. Plus from the gains I have been noticing, THIS SEEMS A HELL OF A LOT MORE EASY to bump up. When you get into those VTEC's like my Prelude. The bolt ons stop helping after a few minor upgrades. This thing seems to get decent gains from EVERYTHING. I did have to get used to the power band in this thing coming from so many VTEC's, but I like it. Plus all I hear is rev difference so far. The new Type-R looks fantastic. As for the regular SI, it's decent.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just drove both cars on Friday. I'm 42, so what I notice and feel may differ from you :) I found the Si to be a refined vehicle overall. Great ride, awesome gearbox, pretty good steering. It was very roomy inside although I'm not sure I found the exact right driving position due to the steering wheel placement, weird two tier dash, and seat placement. It may just be because the dash is so far out from you. Really nice looking car, didn't have anywhere near the fun factor and wowness of the Fiesta ST because it's a normally aspirated four cylinder. I never really wrung it out because that's not how I drive normally. I've also driven a new base model 14 WRX- liked it a lot, very noisy, too much $ for me. Hyundai Veloster turbo- nice driving, but there's no way it makes 201hp. Hyundai Genesis 2.0T r spec- absolutely no power or torque down low, great handling and ride, great looking, but get ready to buy 19" tires! The Si also had the throttle overrun program unfortunately. The rpms just hang there after you've depressed the clutch and release the gas. The other car I really had to consider was the Accord Sport 6M. Great 10 way power seat, awesome interior size, great ride and handling. It had that throttle overrun something terrible. The other thing that killed that car for me was two color choices: black or gray. I like neither.
Now to the Fiesta ST. Really impressed for a lot of reasons. Tons of features come standard. I love the repeater turn signal or whatever it's called. Pretty good Sony stereo, especially compared to the WRX's terrible stereo. The Accord Sport only had 4 speakers!! I like that it has a volume knob, although I'd end up using the steering wheel controls. It has the best useable power of anything I've driven. I never got to explore the handling as all roads were pretty much straight. The ride was on the edge for me as I think my upper back is very picky. I got car sick in the Focus and Fusion on recent test drives in the last year. The regular seats cause my right leg to constantly rub the center console, but I could learn to deal with that. The Recaro's hold it nice, but I'm not into spending $1900 for them and every car that has them has just about every other option. I'm between a 0 option white one and a performance blue one with the roof. I am absolutely blown away by the gas mileage and ability to run on regular for the performance this car gives. The price and 0% for 60 months is just crazy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just drove both cars on Friday. I'm 42, so what I notice and feel may differ from you :) I found the Si to be a refined vehicle overall. Great ride, awesome gearbox, pretty good steering. It was very roomy inside although I'm not sure I found the exact right driving position due to the steering wheel placement, weird two tier dash, and seat placement. It may just be because the dash is so far out from you. Really nice looking car, didn't have anywhere near the fun factor and wowness of the Fiesta ST because it's a normally aspirated four cylinder. I never really wrung it out because that's not how I drive normally. I've also driven a new base model 14 WRX- liked it a lot, very noisy, too much $ for me. Hyundai Veloster turbo- nice driving, but there's no way it makes 201hp. Hyundai Genesis 2.0T r spec- absolutely no power or torque down low, great handling and ride, great looking, but get ready to buy 19" tires! The Si also had the throttle overrun program unfortunately. The rpms just hang there after you've depressed the clutch and release the gas. The other car I really had to consider was the Accord Sport 6M. Great 10 way power seat, awesome interior size, great ride and handling. It had that throttle overrun something terrible. The other thing that killed that car for me was two color choices: black or gray. I like neither.
Now to the Fiesta ST. Really impressed for a lot of reasons. Tons of features come standard. I love the repeater turn signal or whatever it's called. Pretty good Sony stereo, especially compared to the WRX's terrible stereo. The Accord Sport only had 4 speakers!! I like that it has a volume knob, although I'd end up using the steering wheel controls. It has the best useable power of anything I've driven. I never got to explore the handling as all roads were pretty much straight. The ride was on the edge for me as I think my upper back is very picky. I got car sick in the Focus and Fusion on recent test drives in the last year. The regular seats cause my right leg to constantly rub the center console, but I could learn to deal with that. The Recaro's hold it nice, but I'm not into spending $1900 for them and every car that has them has just about every other option. I'm between a 0 option white one and a performance blue one with the roof. I am absolutely blown away by the gas mileage and ability to run on regular for the performance this car gives. The price and 0% for 60 months is just crazy.
The only option I did not like was the sunroof. I never order my cars with a sunroof, this was the only car that I bought on the spot in about 20 years. Every other car I order. I did get the dealer to take the price of the sunroof off my purchase price.The Recaro's are worth the few $'s of a monthly payment, trust me on this. I am 56, 5'9" around 170 lb's and in good shape, however I do have some back issues. My daughter and I drove our ST to Utah a few weeks ago, a 9 hours drive. The Recaro's were great! No problems or fatigue. Pluss they make interior look more upscale. Just my $.02
Ron

·
Registered
127 Posts
Unfortunately, the only recaro cars also have the sunroof, stupid $375 painted wheels/calipers (IMO), and navigation. so there's $1100 worth of stuff I don't need at all. Maybe I will just see if they'll load up in my trade to offset the price. I just wonder if I could deal with those seats on a daily basis. I'm 5'11" and 174lbs, so it's not my size. They're just harder to get in and out of.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts