Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, our stock bov is made of plastic, can and will leak, even more so with any upgrades in performance with bolt on products and tuning revisions,so I am looking at replacing the stock bov with something more substanstial....looking at turbo smart right now...wondering if anyone else has conducted a search into this...thanks in advance :>}

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
199 Posts
I found it the wastegate is harder to install because it need a manual adjustment on a dyno

·
Registered
199 Posts
Am I the only one here who thinks BOVs on this car sound terrible and obnoxious? Especially Boomba.
normally if your talking about a bov adaptor like boomba your right but this bov sounds dope just skip to the end of this video. and it actually helps performance wise comapred to the cheap adaptor.

·
Registered
184 Posts
normally if your talking about a bov adaptor like boomba your right but this bov sounds dope just skip to the end of this video. and it actually helps performance wise comapred to the cheap adaptor.

Ok now this is very different and actually sounds great. I could see myself getting something like this.

·
Registered
301 Posts
IMO, this is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Has there been even one case of the stock DV failing?
Basically.

I get doing this if you had an upgraded turbo maybe, but on the stock turbo it isn't going to do anything substantial that the bomba won't. Sorry, but its just an excuse to throw parts at the car and waste your money.

The BOV might sound cool, but the stock BPV system is designed to feed back into the intake. I will say that this car has a number of MAP sensors to calc air flow. Mostly you have problems adding a BOV to boosted cars with a MAF system. This car has a MAF, but I've read that it actually is used to measure air temp or something, and that it isn't used in flow calculations. I think the Aussie/Euro ones use the MAF, but I'm no expert, so that's just speculation on my part.

Upgraded wastegates are most often used when you have increased the boost and removed restrictive exhaust limitations and the existing wastegate is physically incapable of flowing enough exhaust around the turbine to hold pressure. You will hit your target boost, and the wastegate will try to bleed off the excess and it can't keep up so you continue to build boost till you hit an early fuel cut. I know that boost creep was a very common problem on WRXes especially with aftermarket turboback exhausts. When you decreased the pressure after the turbo, it would increase the turbine speed and the amount of pressure put on the backside of the wastegate drawing air more quickly through it. You could also use one if you wanted to alter the minimum boost level the engine holds with a heavier spring. I'm sure there are a few valid applications of that, but I'm not sure how much it would help your average Joe.

These cars have very small turbos and spin up very quick. There are some claims that they will help you get faster spool blah blah blah. You aren't likely to notice much in spool gains with the stock turbo. Unless you are experiencing a specific problem that you are trying to address on the car, this is not going to help any of your vehicles to any meaningful degree.

I've wasted huge amounts of money on cars and have learned that before all else you have to ask two questions before you mod something on your car.

- What characteristic of the car am I trying to fix?
- Is the cost spent on this part going to alter said characteristic enough to justify the expense?

·
Registered
199 Posts
the claim it helps maintain your boost as well as being able to adjust it and they claim to help stop the harsh hp/tq drop off higher in the rev range.

·
Registered
678 Posts
This doesn't adjust boost, nor does it observably improve any performance. Don't confuse a wastegate for a blow off valve. That's a whole separate unnecessary "upgrade" that doesn't do anything on a stock turbo.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Changing the wastegate spring would adjust the minimum boost level the car would run on. I suppose that could be considered adjusting boost, but the turbo is only going to flow what it is capable of. A BOV does not control boost pressure other than releasing it based on the boost control solenoid. If you want to increase boost pressure you can either get a manual boost solenoid and then get it tuned for that, or you can just tune the ECU to alter the existing solenoid (Which is ultimately cheaper and safer.)

Manufacturers can claim what they want. Unless they give some specific numbers, logs, or before/after dyno sheets, its just a claim. And it still feeds back into my two-part statement. What are you trying to fix, and is this worth the cost for the upgrade? Maybe it will give you 100 rpm of 1psi extra boost maybe 500RPM on the top end. Together those two items cost probably near $400 with tax and shipping. Then whatever your time or a mechanic's time costs to put them in. Then if you get the wastegate, you have to get retuned because you altered the base wastegate pressure.

Lets say at best you buy the items install them yourself at no cost (Although time is money unless you don't value your time or are bored) and you just have to get Randy at mountune to retune it. You spent over $500 just there for what amount of gain exactly? And that is my point. Is it worth the cost?

Again I've thrown tons of money at parts over the years. I once bought a super-lightweight flywheel and a kevlar clutch. Would that have been badass at as track? Yep, probably as it was very free-revving. Was it good around town in stop and go traffic? HELL NO! I had to slip the piss out of that clutch so much to get the car moving with the reduced flywheel mass, I burnt the clutch out in less than a year. I'm trying to inject some logic and reason into these discussions and save you guys some time and money. Ultimately if you want to ignore me, that's fine, again it is your money. But i've done this enough to know when something isn't worth it.

And @Morag, unless your car has changed from your sig, wouldn't $500 be better spent on something proven to make power like an IC or DP? ;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Changing the wastegate spring would adjust the minimum boost level the car would run on. I suppose that could be considered adjusting boost, but the turbo is only going to flow what it is capable of. A BOV does not control boost pressure other than releasing it based on the boost control solenoid. If you want to increase boost pressure you can either get a manual boost solenoid and then get it tuned for that, or you can just tune the ECU to alter the existing solenoid (Which is ultimately cheaper and safer.)

Manufacturers can claim what they want. Unless they give some specific numbers, logs, or before/after dyno sheets, its just a claim. And it still feeds back into my two-part statement. What are you trying to fix, and is this worth the cost for the upgrade? Maybe it will give you 100 rpm of 1psi extra boost maybe 500RPM on the top end. Together those two items cost probably near $400 with tax and shipping. Then whatever your time or a mechanic's time costs to put them in. Then if you get the wastegate, you have to get retuned because you altered the base wastegate pressure.

Lets say at best you buy the items install them yourself at no cost (Although time is money unless you don't value your time or are bored) and you just have to get Randy at mountune to retune it. You spent over $500 just there for what amount of gain exactly? And that is my point. Is it worth the cost?

Again I've thrown tons of money at parts over the years. I once bought a super-lightweight flywheel and a kevlar clutch. Would that have been badass at as track? Yep, probably as it was very free-revving. Was it good around town in stop and go traffic? HELL NO! I had to slip the piss out of that clutch so much to get the car moving with the reduced flywheel mass, I burnt the clutch out in less than a year. I'm trying to inject some logic and reason into these discussions and save you guys some time and money. Ultimately if you want to ignore me, that's fine, again it is your money. But i've done this enough to know when something isn't worth it.

And @Morag, unless your car has changed from your sig, wouldn't $500 be better spent on something proven to make power like an IC or DP? ;)
True, all i was trying to do is figure out how to get the best results by the end of my build. the intercooler for sure however due to stupid CARB law i cant get a dp :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts