Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering if anyone knew how restrictive the stock exhaust is with an unmodified engine with the default tune or with a tune. If the stock down pipe cat is gutted (or an aftermarket down pipe is installed) would it be as effective as a full aftermarket exhaust for reducing spool up times? I'm not really interested in making my ST louder, since it's my DD, but if I can reduce spool up easily I'd be happy.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The stock exhaust on a stock car, is a bit restrictive. Adding a downpipe will free things up and make the car a bit louder as well as improve spool time. A full after market exhaust covers from the turbo back. That would included the downpipe and the cat back section which would probably be really loud. I think from what you're asking here, if you just did a downpipe you'd be happy.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stock exhaust on a stock car, is a bit restrictive. Adding a downpipe will free things up and make the car a bit louder as well as improve spool time. A full after market exhaust covers from the turbo back. That would included the downpipe and the cat back section which would probably be really loud. I think from what you're asking here, if you just did a downpipe you'd be happy.
Perfect. I was just mostly confirming that the down pipe is the most restrictive part of the exhaust. Also I assume if the down pipe is catless you get a CEL, is that right?

·
Registered
369 Posts
That varies by car. Not many people have put just a downpipe on their car yet as there are only a couple out. As far as I know, only one guy on this forum has the miltek pipe exhaust on his car. I do not believe he got a cel, but he may also have the cobb tune on there.

TL:DR I'm not sure if it will throw a cel or not.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Call me lazy but I wish the DP wasn't such a pain to do :)

·
Registered
923 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts