Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know the stock intake tubing size. I want a intake but not ready to spend 300$ on something that has no numbers or anything to offer besides looks and that swoosh sound. I am going to wait and see all offerings from every company and then I'll buy one. Meanwhile I want to fit a cone filter to the stock tubing. I know I'll have to fabricate something for the sensor in the stock air box but I am willing to do it. It should be less expensive and get the same sound. So, what is the stock tube size?

·
Registered
488 Posts
tape measure is your friend, but honestly just get a panel filter you will be fine.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The stock air box has a part that slides into the intake. When you clamp down it has a hard area to hold the pressure and seal the intake to the air box.

If you put a cone filter on the stock intake pipe, when you tighten the clamp it will just squish the intake and filter. It will not likely seal properly. You need a stiff interface.

What you can do is find out what the inside diameter is and get exhaust piping that is the same size and put a 3-4" section in the intake so that when you tighten the cone filter down it will seal up against that. But maybe not.

A cone filter on the stock intake may throw the fuel trims out. It may not. Who knows.

Reactions: Kennethver

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i could only find a 3inch inlet size cone filter. Its like 6 inches wide and like 4 inches long. Its not the best filter out there but since this is like an experiment I don't care. If it works like I want it to I am going to go k&n they have a very good option for this. They have a lot of sizes and styles.
Tomorrow I am going to get some exhaust 3inch tubing about 6 inches long to modify and make a hole for the maf sensor. I might use some silicone to make a a gasket to seal the maf.
The stock intake tube is 2.7 if I measured correctly so I will need a coupler. I should have this done tomorrow I hope it works. BTW to be clear am not looking for any gains at all. I know the stock intake is very obstructive. All I am looking for is sound atm. Besides I am still running stock map. I might get better responsiveness due to the removal of the stock air filter which is very very thick.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Well i could only find a 3inch inlet size cone filter. Its like 6 inches wide and like 4 inches long. Its not the best filter out there but since this is like an experiment I don't care. If it works like I want it to I am going to go k&n they have a very good option for this. They have a lot of sizes and styles.
Tomorrow I am going to get some exhaust 3inch tubing about 6 inches long to modify and make a hole for the maf sensor. I might use some silicone to make a a gasket to seal the maf.
The stock intake tube is 2.7 if I measured correctly so I will need a coupler. I should have this done tomorrow I hope it works. BTW to be clear am not looking for any gains at all. I know the stock intake is very obstructive. All I am looking for is sound atm. Besides I am still running stock map. I might get better responsiveness due to the removal of the stock air filter which is very very thick.
Use the AEM dry-flo cone filter. They are great plus you don't have to oil them. K&N owns AEM now so K&N may have a dry-flo filter which is actually the AEM one.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Joker, if you were willing to pay $300 for an intake that had performance gains, why not just go a little further and get a CoBB AP/Filter package. You will not regret it.
After this AP I dont care for an intake anymore...well at least till one is released with power gains.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Joker, if you were willing to pay $300 for an intake that had performance gains, why not just go a little further and get a CoBB AP/Filter package. You will not regret it.
After this AP I dont care for an intake anymore...well at least till one is released with power gains.
That is correct. That is why I spent 70$ ATM for something that sounds like an intake so I can save some more for the AP

·
Vendor
418 Posts
Really?! What's it use the MAF sensor for then?

i always assumed it worked like the EVO (MAF for closed loop, SD for open loop). Odd they would install it but not use it.
Who knows, haha! The non-US cars have the same MAF sensor and use it, so it might be a production thing.

Ian

·
Vendor
418 Posts
Ill submit my application to you guys tomorrow. Maybe I can help you answer that question. :)

If its not used for IPW calculation I bet its for OBD2 compliance.
I'll keep an eye out for your resume ;)

The logic for the MAF sensor in the US ROMs is turned off, so it's just for show.

Ian

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'll keep an eye out for your resume ;)

The logic for the MAF sensor in the US ROMs is turned off, so it's just for show.

Ian
hmm... :chin:

Is the AIT portion of the MAF still used? Maybe ford found it more cost effective to still install the MAF rather than engineer a different sensor for just that.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts