Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Anybody know the dimensions of the stock intercooler and the sizes of the boost pipes?

·
Registered
923 Posts
^^^^ Yeah, and that's all that is important... TeeHee :p

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Small...lol
Small...like the engine...like the turbo. It's "small" for a reason (yes I know you were joking around). But seriously, am I missing something or have all the dyno runs posted shown that the car is very consistent from run to run? Are there people out there suffering with poor performance due to heat soak...in January???

·
Registered
773 Posts
Small...like the engine...like the turbo. It's "small" for a reason (yes I know you were joking around). But seriously, am I missing something or have all the dyno runs posted shown that the car is very consistent from run to run? Are there people out there suffering with poor performance due to heat soak...in January???
This car has shown very consistent from run to run. That shows that the stock I/C is perfectly fine. Once you start modding and raising boost levels however, heat is the enemy and it will be worse. Cobb has already said that the FiST has been much better compared to the FoST in consistency but an I/C with higher boost levels will only help

Reactions: Kennethver

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uhmm, yes. It's averaging 35 deg C here at the moment. Has no one got the sizes for me?

·
Registered
191 Posts
This car has shown very consistent from run to run. That shows that the stock I/C is perfectly fine. Once you start modding and raising boost levels however, heat is the enemy and it will be worse. Cobb has already said that the FiST has been much better compared to the FoST in consistency but an I/C with higher boost levels will only help
It's been reported that the FiST already peaks at around 21psi so I question how much more peak boost the tuners will actually dial in. So far it appears they've been simply removing some of Ford's safeguards (limited boost in 1st/2nd, overboost).
I'll withhold judgement for the dyno proof, but I'd personally stick with the smallest IC possible to minimize lag and maintain responsiveness. That little turbo will be slow to pressurize a huge IC and piping.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Will only upgrade IC when going stage 2. They found the FiST very prone to heat soak when running stage 2 mods, and that's in the UK. Imagine over here in South Africa with our avg temps now sitting at 35 deg C. Here are some before and after figures with the Airtec cooler:

Standard
Run 1 Intake temp turbo into intercooler 140 out of intercooler into engine 85
Run 2 Intake temp turbo into intercooler 131 out of intercooler into engine 92
Run 3 Intake temp turbo into intercooler 140 out of intercooler into engine 97

Airtec
Run 1 Intake temp turbo into intercooler 140 out of intercooler into engine 31
Run 2 Intake temp turbo into intercooler 150 out of intercooler into engine 38
Run 3 Intake temp turbo into intercooler 152 out of intercooler into engine 39

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
The factory charge pipes are 1.5" at the compressor outlet (hot side), which then transitions to roughly 2.5" at the intercooler coupler. On the cold side it is 2.25" at the throttle body and that transitions to 2.5" at the intercooler again. Our charge pipes are already in the works and they will be 2" throughout.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Will only upgrade IC when going stage 2. They found the FiST very prone to heat soak when running stage 2 mods, and that's in the UK. Imagine over here in South Africa with our avg temps now sitting at 35 deg C. Here are some before and after figures with the Airtec cooler:

Standard
Run 1 Intake temp turbo into intercooler 140 out of intercooler into engine 85
Run 2 Intake temp turbo into intercooler 131 out of intercooler into engine 92
Run 3 Intake temp turbo into intercooler 140 out of intercooler into engine 97

Airtec
Run 1 Intake temp turbo into intercooler 140 out of intercooler into engine 31
Run 2 Intake temp turbo into intercooler 150 out of intercooler into engine 38
Run 3 Intake temp turbo into intercooler 152 out of intercooler into engine 39
Nice data but what does that translate into power-wise? How much lag was introduced by adding a larger cooler? Repeated runs on a dyno are notorious for heat soaking an engine much worse than a few pulls on the highway would (which is why the stock dyno runs are so impressive thus far).
Why would "stage 2" mods (presumably an intake/exhaust) lead to more heatsoak than the normal stage 1 mod (tuning) where the car would make more boost, or the same boost for longer durations?
These are just questions I'd be looking to have answered before dropping my hard earned $$$ on an expensive intercooler. The pessimist in me thinks that a few "tuners" are simply looking for creative ways to sell more parts.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The factory charge pipes are 1.5" at the compressor outlet (hot side), which then transitions to roughly 2.5" at the intercooler coupler. On the cold side it is 2.25" at the throttle body and that transitions to 2.5" at the intercooler again. Our charge pipes are already in the works and they will be 2" throughout.
What do you anticipate will be the result of having 2" charge pipes throughout?

·
Registered
773 Posts
What do you anticipate will be the result of having 2" charge pipes throughout?
Smoother transitions likely and possibly better throttle response. Cooling will also likely be slightly better.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice data but what does that translate into power-wise? How much lag was introduced by adding a larger cooler? Repeated runs on a dyno are notorious for heat soaking an engine much worse than a few pulls on the highway would (which is why the stock dyno runs are so impressive thus far).
Why would "stage 2" mods (presumably an intake/exhaust) lead to more heatsoak than the normal stage 1 mod (tuning) where the car would make more boost, or the same boost for longer durations?
These are just questions I'd be looking to have answered before dropping my hard earned $$$ on an expensive intercooler. The pessimist in me thinks that a few "tuners" are simply looking for creative ways to sell more parts.

Stage 2 with tune.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Smoother transitions likely and possibly better throttle response. Cooling will also likely be slightly better.
I'd like to see the vendor make the claims backed up with data (dyno runs/temps). It's incredible to me that a vendor will make a statement about the OEM parts vs. theirs, only to let the consumer assume if and why the aftermarket parts are better. I've said before, the pessimist in me thinks that's because the vendor has no data that illustrates their parts' performance because a)they didn't do any real testing, or b)they did the testing and found results were not favourable for the consumer.
My views don't reflect on any specific vendor, just general feelings from doing this dance before. When parts are properly developed and tested there is a LOT of data kept. That should be easily passed along to the consumers.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Back in the day my first turbo car was a 95 Talon TSi AWD. Changing the i/c pipping from the turbo to the throttle body made a massive improvement in power delivery, turbo response (often mis called throttle response, electronic throttles respond near instantly), and gave a few peak hp. This was b/c the factory plastic and rubber hoses they used would expand a bit under boost. The older the rubber the more expansion you had. I think I paid $250 for all new mandrel bent I/C pipping and a BOV. Worth every penny. If we see similar results and improvements from the Fist, you can count me in on buying a set.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts