Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put on my new summer tires (Dunlop Z2) and the temps for the next couple of days will be moderate. All's well.

Next week the temps will be 15-40 degrees. I won't be driving the car but it will be sitting outside. I'm going to be autoxing them a lot and don't expect the tires to last until next winter.

Should I be concerned with the tires hardening or am I making way too much of this (which is likely)?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Reactions: k757

·
Registered
253 Posts
Straight out of the supplement manual:

. Ford does not
recommend using the original equipment
tires when temperatures drop to
approximately 40°F (5°C) or below
(depending on tire wear and environmental
conditions) or in snow and ice conditions.
You must use winter or all-season tires if
you will be operating your vehicle in theseconditions.

The factory tires are a death wish in any snow. You will sacrifice significant performance in the cold and have the risk of cracking tires in theory. They are survivable for driving in cold temps though as long as there is ZERO snow or ice.

As far as surviveability goes, if the car is jsut going to sit, tires can crack just sitting in the cold but I expect it will take more than a a week of coldish temps for a brand new tire. I never keep my track tires outside over winter as I have heard it is possible that they can harden and get ruined. But that is more for real slicks and rcomps as far as i understand.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been driving on my stock summer Potenzas for a few weeks now in below freezing temps and it's been ok so far, but scary if there is any ice or snow. I just drive very carefully with a lot of distance in between. It needs to warm up!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I drove with stock tires, dry, roads and -25F two weeks ago. They had flat spots for a few miles but warmed up and were OK. I had ordered snow tire and rims and had not arrived yet so I drove with the summer tires. The stock tires were horrible in snow as expected so I parked it on snowy days. When my snow tires and rims arrived (Michelin iceX) I got back to having fun driving to work with the ST.
My other road vehicle is a Ford Excursion, Kind of funny, I drive the smallest and largest Fords they sell in North America.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts