Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who all makes a bigger sway bar? I know there is this one but how much thicker is this one? I havent really noticed a need for a sway bar but I might not be driving agressive enough I guess. What do you guys think?

NOTE: I am asking about the actual bar, I would love to swap out the bushings for poly ones either way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have looked into this sway bars but being cheap I'm looking for the best bang for the buck. I'm gearing towards the racing beat suspension package because I want some improvement in the autocross course (local level) but still suitable for daily driving.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Remember it's only sway bar, just the front one because the rear is twist beam. The balance that Ford has done with the stock suspension set-up makes this car very very good out of the box, personally I have never left the suspension alone on any vehicle I have owned but this one for the time being, I will be leaving alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Remember it's only sway bar, just the front one because the rear is twist beam. The balance that Ford has done with the stock suspension set-up makes this car very very good out of the box, personally I have never left the suspension alone on any vehicle I have owned but this one for the time being, I will be leaving alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im with you for the most part on this. I won't change the sway bar, ford nailed it in terms of balance there. However I can't wait to get my coilovers and lower this bastard lol

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
656 Posts
FWD generally benefits the most from a stiffer rear bar, I had a custom one made for my Time Trial Scion TC to get one stiff enough and I ran with out a front bar at all.

Twist beam, I had a rear bar on my exceptionally fast boosted SM class autocross Matrix, it fit in the beam to stiffen it.

I will take a look when I get the 332ti project off my lift and see what I can, might make my own rear bar or use some sheet metal and dimple dies to make a plate to weld along the length of it.

I could make it in sections and bolt them together for tuning, once found the right stiffness just weld the right sections together.

BUT, if Cobb, etc, come out with a good setup before then I would just buy one.
After watching some video the car could use a bit more bar, at least in the rear but proper dampers and springs are the first ways of dealing with it, bars are for fine tuning only.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What handling trait are you trying to cure with aftermarket anti-sway bars?
If, as you said, nothing you've detected yet, then you should keep that money in your wallet.
It's that mindset that keeps tuners selling people parts they don't need.

I've done over 200 on track miles in my ST and couldn't (if paid by a Tuner) come up with a reason (yet) for anti-sway bars or shocks and springs. The car, on factory tires with factory brakes performs at a level that I find to be above the skills of 80% of buyers that might find themselves on a race track with it.

Yes, put r-compound tires and things change. Yes, stiffen it up (as I would even like) with some proper shocks and springs and the balance might need some tuning, but if you're just looking to add to (or create) a mod list, then the suspension is the last place to look on this car.

You should be several thousand dollars deep into shocks/springs, tires and brake pads before you truly find a need for further development on the chassis behavior.

Just my humble opinion, but, again, I'm not trying to sell you anything.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If, as you said, nothing you've detected yet, then you should keep that money in your wallet.

I've done over 200 on track miles in my ST and couldn't (if paid by a Tuner) come up with a reason (yet) for anti-sway bars or shocks and springs. The car, on factory tires with factory brakes performs at a level that I find to be above the skills of 80% of buyers that might find themselves on a race track with it.

Yes, put r-compound tires and things change. Yes, stiffen it up (as I would even like) with some proper shocks and springs and the balance might need some tuning, but if you're just looking to add to (or create) a mod list, then the suspension is the last place to look on this car.

You should be several thousand dollars deep into shocks/springs, tires and brake pads before you truly find a need for further development on the chassis behavior.

And it also all depends on what your goals are on the vehicle. If you are looking for auto-x or track use then it will differ if you are just going to run it on the street.

That being said the rear bars from Eibach are on back order.

·
Registered
488 Posts

Excellent opinion piece, quoting your track experience so far with the Fiesta ST, you make me feel better about my decision to leave the suspension as is stock! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts