Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my car yesterday so I finally got to play with this version of Sync.
The dealer rushed through my iPhone setup because I wanted to get the car home before the weather turned bad. When I attempted to have Sync read my text messages it prompted me that "that function is not supported on my device." Unacceptable!
After some googling I found a method that works for the iPhone 5S.

1.Pair the iPhone with the car. Turn notifications on in the bluetooth menu on your phone (press the little blue button beside where it says Sync on your screen).
2.Turn the car off and open the driver's door. Wait until the gauge cluster turns off (takes a minute or so). Close your door and start the car.
3.Allow the phone to pair again, then text your buddy/girlfriend/mom and ask them to send you back a quick text to test things.
4.LOCK the home screen on your phone (press the silver button on top of your phone). The Sync system will apparently only receive the text if the phone is locked. No biggie as the phone should be locked and in your pocket while driving anyways.
5.When the text comes through you should hear a tone from the Sync system and get a prompt on your screen. Press the voice button on your steering wheel and say "Read text message". The nice computer lady should now read the message. Extra funny if your buddies text ridiculous nonsense like some of mine do.

Hope that helps some of you out, my google-fu leads me to believe this only works on this version of Sync with the iPhone 5S as others do not have the bluetooth protocol to support. It's a handy (and safe) feature for those of us who spend a lot of time in the car.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yes it works for android in the euro model, so I would think that the sync program would be the same in both versions. You cannot read texts you have received when you were not paired, it will only display/read texts you recive while paired to sync!
I have Samsung Galaxy s4 and it works fine for me, but for some reason the Ford Sync app is not available for S4 but available for most other androids, WTF it's one of the latest Samsung smart phones!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
The phone must support the Bluetooth MAP Profile for the Sync to pick up your messages. Android 4.4 has it now completely implemented, not sure about iPhone. Windows Phone 8 currently doesn't support it, but hopefully with 8.1 that comes out by the end of the month it will.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I know what's going on here.

Go to Settings -> Bluetooth then click the little 'i' icon next to the Sync connection.

Toggle the 'Show Notifications' to on.

Turn off car and make sure MFT turns off, then turn back on. Should work now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts