Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
501 - 510 of 510 Posts
I'm willing to pay for the flights and accommodation for a couple of COBB boffins to holiday in Straya for a week or two so they can invent an AP for my FiST.

I'll even throw a shrimp on the barbie for ya! (or a king prawn, or mud crab, or a kangaroo steak, or a ummm... bluray copy of Crocodile Dundee?)

I think most people are waiting for parts from well known companies vs. Some of the lesser known companies who are putting stuff out there with no data to back the products up. Personally I consider mountune and Cobb to be those quality builders, so until mountune releases their exhaust to go along with their intercooler and Cobb releases their intercooler and intake I'm not commiting any $ to piece together mods from the numerous suppliers with stuff out now. The mountune intercooler is my favorite right now as it retains all the stock ducting which directs air into the intercooler and radiator. Hackin or removing these parts are what will result in a less reliable with potential daily driver issues. I'm sure Cobb's idea was to get the exhaust out because most people want to hear the performance they paid for instead of having to show someone the intercooler hidden behind the bumper that provides more actual performance but doesn't announce itself to the surrounding public. Hence the reason why people buy $300 hot air intakes that have a cool intake and blow off noise. I haven't dumped cash on mountune a intake simply because no real gains come from it and you could just cut a hole in the bottom of your stock airbox and run an air duct hose just like they did with their aluminum lower airbox. Instead I'll focus on real mods that make a difference but won't jeopardize the daily drivability like a complete intercooler plumbing kit that's hopefully not all metal piping, an intercooler, real CAI, then turbo back exhaust. Now that Cobb released their exhaust without a heat shield and support bracket it looks like I'm waiting for mountune...

Only speaking for myself here but I simply got tired of doing big mods. I modded my previous cars (GTI, E46 M3) pretty extensively and by the time I finished up I sort of wished I'd kept a lot of those parts stock. Not sure why but my preferences shifted in the last few years from extensive modding to more practical stuff. Tint, better tires, a tune, etc without getting out of hand and spending thousands. And considering how fun this car is bone stock I don't think ill go much further than adding a short shifter and calling it done.

Plus, every time I see an old classic that is still bone stock, I drool a little bit because it's untouched and seems more 'pure' if that makes any sense. Whereas if you are looking for a nice stock STi or another similar classic driver's car, good luck.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to knock on anyone for extensive mods or anything of the sort. I'm 100% behind everyone doing whatever they like and makes them more happy with their cars, but for some of us, less is often more.
Why not keep the stock parts...? And be patient when you're taking the car apart so you don't lose anything or cause damage.

Why not keep the stock parts...? And be patient when you're taking the car apart so you don't lose anything or cause damage.
I'll clarify - for a DD, I'm just tired of it is what it comes down to :p.

I'm tired of messing with coil height adjustment, exhaust leaks, suspension clearance issues, compounding mods (suspension? might as well get camber plates and xyz too), mods not being quite right (E46 short shifter was notchy and tougher to work than I expected, coils were not as good as the reviews/forums said, etc.), lack of easy support for said parts, big $$ for small gains, etc. Most of the mods in the past were to fix some dynamic shortcomings and were easier to justify at the time, though by the end I found myself regretting most of it. Wished I'd refreshed the E46 suspension with stock parts instead of aftermarket coils. Wished I'd left the shifter alone. Wished I'd just left it on the stock wheels. I did uninstall some of them before sale (wheels, suspension), but it's impossible to get all the time/money/energy I spent back. I just prefer closer to OEM aside from some small, easily reversible things that have few/no drawbacks like my shift boot, armrest cover, short antenna, tint, tune, tires.

Personal preference is all it is. It's my daily driver and I want to have tons of fun in it without spending extensive time and money on it. I was initially planning to do some extensive mods to this car when I bought it, but then I looked at my past experiences and decided to stick with some more mild stuff. I completely understand the opposite point of view though, and I'll be honest many of the cars on here are pretty awesome, I'm just tired of dealing with it all at this point and would rather try to mostly enjoy it for what it is, so the bigger mods like suspensions, diffs, coolers, exhausts just don't appeal to me as much anymore, especially when the stock car is pretty damn good already. Not trying to discourage it or anything though. And I do enjoy seeing what you guys do with your cars, it's interesting and I learn quite a bit, gives me some ideas and I can live vicariously through you :p hahahah.

If I were buying a car as a toy though, my view would be different. I'd have no problem with extensive mods. I'd have time to let it sit for days awaiting some install, wouldn't be discouraged by undoing or changing a mod, and I'd be completely OK with the fact that most of the money and all of the time sunk into it is gone. If/when I buy another E46 M3, the mod list will definitely be extensive, and I'm OK with that.

Sorry for derailing this thread, too!

I probably won't touch my suspension or brakes. But wheels, tires and pads will definitely see an upgrade. I guess we are a bit off track here... Who's enjoying the tunes? I am.

Scent from Glade Air Freshener

Is this no-lift shift something they've programmed into the tune? I ask because I've no-lift shifted several times in this little FiST without a problem. HOWEVER, what I have noticed is that when no-lift shifting, the car seems to cut power ever so slightly for the first millisecond in the next gear before allowing the car to take off again. For the record, I'm 100% bone stock….(and at this point, disappointed in no intake from Cobb this month.)

All well and good for you USDM guys they say. Still no AccessPort available for Euro/Oz FiSTs they say. Perhaps you need to broaden your horizons COBB I say...
This isn't Cobbs fault. They need test cars to use. How do they go about buying an OZ car in America?

Even if they bought an OZ car and shipped it, the car would be $45,000 in US currency which is NOT worth the investment to sell a $500 AccessPort.

I am loving the new revision of Stage 1. Although now I am regularly getting false boost spike of 60+psi, where as I never did before. I thought this is a problem they had fixed? Is it anything to worry about?

Also another thing I noticed is that Oct Adj Ratio is always a -1.00. Literally as soon as I turn my car on it goes right to -1.00 . A couple of pages ago the guy from Cobb was saying we would need to do some high gear/low load pulls to get to this number. Is always having a -1.00 OAR normal?

501 - 510 of 510 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.