Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I drove a Fiesta ST today and really liked it, and think it would make a great DD...except for one thing.
First I couldn't figure out how to turn the traction control off. I held down the stability control button until it was supposedly all the way off, but when I hit a quick 2nd gear shift and barked the tires the car felt like it closed the throttle completely, then slowly opened it.
Driving normally almost the exact opposite happened every time I hit 2nd or 3rd the car would jump forward, even with 0 throttle (Maybe I need to shift slower?).

Also I thought it was oddly extremely quiet for a near performance car, and from Matt Farrah and other sources I have seen these respond well to minor mods. So how does Ford take to things like intercooler/exhaust upgrade? Can boost be increased? Basically wanting to know what will void the warranty.

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Dolby as far as the modifications, the forum has this information all over. Gains seem very good from all add-ons from what I have seen. Not a TON of options at this point but a decent amount. It does not say where you are from. I just tap ESC and it goes off. I have not read through the manual though to see if it has different modes, but it does not seem to. I have not had the car do that even with the TC on. Only if I give it FAR too much gas and am at speed already does it cut the throttle. It gets back on as soon as it gets any form of traction. I think they did a great job with the ESC.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are two modes that I am aware of. If you tap the button it puts it in Sport Mode, and holding it down turns ESC off.
The problem was with it "off" the traction control still felt on, and waaay over active even for what it should be in sport mode. It felt very much like a 90's car traction control where it just cuts all throttle and rolls back into it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
So I drove a Fiesta ST today and really liked it, and think it would make a great DD...except for one thing.
First I couldn't figure out how to turn the traction control off. I held down the stability control button until it was supposedly all the way off, but when I hit a quick 2nd gear shift and barked the tires the car felt like it closed the throttle completely, then slowly opened it.
Driving normally almost the exact opposite happened every time I hit 2nd or 3rd the car would jump forward, even with 0 throttle (Maybe I need to shift slower?).

Also I thought it was oddly extremely quiet for a near performance car, and from Matt Farrah and other sources I have seen these respond well to minor mods. So how does Ford take to things like intercooler/exhaust upgrade? Can boost be increased? Basically wanting to know what will void the warranty.

Thanks for any info!
One word for you, "Magnaflow" I installed there system on my ST, it sounds great when on it. But when cruising it almost stock in the way it sounds.
the rest I can' help you with.
Ron

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
OP, you'll have a hard time finding something that completely VOIDS your warranty. You will have some mods that can cause Ford to DENY a warranty claim, but that doesn't mean it completely voids your warranty.

Look into Mountune parts if you're worried about warranty. Mountune claims that their parts will not affect your manufacture base vehicle warranty. Good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Ron. So I can assume a cat-back won't affect the warranty at all (I mean it shouldn't because it doesn't affect reliability, but some manufacturers will use any excuse to void the warranty).

Colin: It def cut the throttle, it was like a Chirp and then I nearly hit the steering wheel because the car pitched forward so hard. Maybe I thought I had turned the ESC off but had pressed the button again or done something to turn it back on. I'll probably take another drive before I buy one anyway, hopefully in a different car.

I also had a question about the seats. I like the Recaro's but $2k is pretty steep IMO, and I'm not sure if my wife would like them. How do the standard seats feel? Do they still have some lateral support?
Another side note I forgot to mention: Brakes wow they are very good, but they seem very touchy, like everything right on the top of the pedal, and adjust with pressure instead of throw. Hopefully this is something you can get used to, but I'm glad no one was with me on the test drive because my braking was herky-jerky. I liked the clutch feel and the shifter, but heel-toeing was difficult with the firm brakes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I can chime in on the seats. I opted to not get the recaros, they felt too confining, and I commute a lot, so I went with the regular seats. If I was going to be doing a lot of auto cross or racing, I would get the recaros, but for a daily driver, I think the regular seats are excellent. Just enough bolster on the sides, but not so much on the seat to interfere with getting in and out.

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I have the standard seats, I really wish I had gotten the recaros. The side support on these seats leave A LOT to be desired...

Ya I dunno man. Hold it until the screen says ESC off, and make sure the TC light is on on the gauge cluster. It's pretty easy to bump it, especially if the car as moving while your turning it off

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Not sure if it's the same from Focus to Fiesta, but the full leather recaros in the Focus actually soften up (break in) quite a bit and get a lot more comfortable.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I talked to the dealer today about mods and the warranty.

To keep ford from denying a warranty claim you'll have to purchase select mountune offerings through ford performance. They will also need to be installed by a qualified dealer.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok thanks for the info!

Next question is pricing (I think this gets asked a lot).
On one Ford site I found $1500 in incentives (shown below) so that is good, and might make it worth buying one off a lot with more options because of the $1000 incentive. I also found that invoice was $802 less than retail (for base ST). Is it reasonable to go to a dealer and offer invoice? Basically the one I drove was I believe $24,815 with its options. Would it be reasonable to offer $22,513? Or will they refuse/scalp me on my tradein.

"Ecoboost Challenge" Retail Customer Cash
Program #12564:Take new retail delivery from dealer stock by 07/07/2014. Not all Fiesta ST 5-DR models may qualify. See dealer for residency restrictions and complete details.
Amount: -$1,000, Offer Valid: 03/31/2014 - 07/06/2014

Ford Credit Retail Bonus Customer Cash
Program #12566: $500.00 Ford Credit Bonus cash requires Ford Credit financing. Not all buyers will qualify. Take new retail delivery from dealer stock by 07/07/2014. Not all Fiesta ST 5-DR models may qualify. See dealer for residency restrictions, qualifications and complete details.
Amount: -$500, Offer Valid: 03/31/2014 - 07/06/2014

·
Registered
182 Posts
The msrp on ours was 22,225 after delivery charges. We ended up paying 20,900 after xplan and the incentives.

The invoice on ours was 20,400. I doubt you'll get invoice unless you are going to order one.

When a dealer sells a car the manufacturer sends them around 3% of the msrp to cover the note on the car while it sits on the lot. They get this even if you order a car in which case they don't have to pay the note on. In only this case will you be able to negotiate that extra 3%, which may get you below invoice.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I can chime on the seats as well. I am a pretty skinny but tall guy (6'2") and the seats for me are amazing. Katelyn loves the seats as well as finds them incredibly comfortable. She fits the average woman description. The seats have settled in a little as well. Most Recaros and performance seats that I have sat in on other cars are god awful. The mustang cobra is one example. These have a ton of padding, and are very very comfortable. I could sit in them all day and then some, and Katelyn says she wouldn't have any issues either which really surprised me. So unless you are 60+ lbs overweight, the seats should be amazing. I don't think I have seen anyone that has them complain about the comfort, but i may have missed it.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I wish I could have one for my computer chair, no lie.

I'm now wondering about the traction control on the FiST...... if I tap it, it goes ALL the way off. I tried it today and i had no restriction at all, and trust me I should of hit it a few times. So..... talking to the dealer I guess. I want to see this "sport" mode......

·
Registered
21 Posts
The seats are a funny topic for me. I went to the dealer for a test drive and purposely drove the one with base seats. After the test drive I was like shoot no way I would be 2k more for seats when these are fine...then I sat in the other one that had the recaros. After a test drive in that one it was game over, the seats changed the car for me. I agree it's steep, but no regrets getting the recaros even with it being my dd!

Also you'll be able to get invoice, or even lower. Just gotta go in with confidence and know the market. Dealers get holdback based on percentage of MSRP. They can sell below invoice and still get their holdback, on top of volume sale bonuses. I picked up my perf blue with Recaros, rado wheel option, and had them tint the windows for 22,700 before incentives (invoice was 23458 for reference).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds good. On Fords site I can locate a bunch of various FiST's in the greater area. They all have a price (shown as after $1500 incentives taken off), and literally 0 of them are base. The problem is that while each shows the amount of money they have in options, none show what said options are.

It turns out I was a bit mistaken (because it lists my closest dealer as the dealer for all of the cars) and the car I drove is a whopping $26,750 (it must have almost literally every option). I think the salesman said 25k, so he must have been including the $1500 incentives. Anyway if I get one I'm really wanting to stay at or under $22k total, which should be doable with the paint and Recaro's alone (after incentives, and a bit under MSRP).

·
Registered
361 Posts
I also couldn't justify the additional 2k for the recaros. Plus, they caused my ccw to dig into my kidney...

·
Registered
361 Posts
But seriously, get the seats that fit you the best. I didn't want my cost any higher than necessary, so I went with the regular seats

1 - 20 of 27 Posts