Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was scraping together info for tires fitting on 16 and 17 inch wheels. I noticed we dont have a definitive thread for tire sizes.

17 Inch Sizes
205 40 17 - OE Size - 0.0% - 23.46in - No Rub
205 45 17 - Taller Sidewall - +3.4% - 24.26in - No Rub
215 40 17 - Wider - +1.3% - 23.77in - No Rub

16 Inch Sizes
205 50 16 - Minus 1 - +2.6% - 24.07in - No Rub
215 50 16 - Minus 1 Wider - +4.3% - 24.46in - No Rub
225 50 16 - Minus 1 Wider - +6% - 24.86in - RUB?

205 45 16 - Minus 1 - -0.8% - 23.26in - No Rub
215 45 16 - MInus 1 Wider - +0.7% - 23.62in - No Rub
225 45 16 - Minus 1 Wider - +2.2% - 23.97in - No Rub

Given the limited tire selection in all sizes but 225 50 16, post your experiences with these various sizes. Does 225 50 16 rub in any other tire BUT the RIVAL?

I am looking at either RS3 or Conti DW ( i know they are in different performance categories - I run RS3 on my STR prepped BMW).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(....see what I did there?)[/QUOTE]

Yes, I see it. This is precisely why I started this thread.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've read that the 225/50/16 BFG rivals rub - but they are wider than most 225 - and they said it wasn't bad enough to stop running the tires. Other brands maybe perfectly fine in that size, I might try RS-3's or Rivals next.

Also, I have a FiST buddy who thinks putting a 235 wide in 17" will work with the right offset wheel... not sure if his hunch is going to pan out but I'll keep you guys updated when we find out

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've read that the 225/50/16 BFG rivals rub - but they are wider than most 225 - and they said it wasn't bad enough to stop running the tires.
That was me. I was wrong. If you plan to autocross the FiST, don't run the Rivals. When the car leans in a hard turn, they rub a lot. Around town is fine if you don't use full lock steering.

·
Registered
158 Posts
How about 225/40/16's? I wonder how close those would be to the stock setup for spedo accuracy and if they rub or not.

Edit: Just tried to enter that size in tire rack and not a single tire came up. Must be a size no one bothers with?

·
Registered
142 Posts
How about 225/40/16's? I wonder how close those would be to the stock setup for spedo accuracy and if they rub or not.

Edit: Just tried to enter that size in tire rack and not a single tire came up. Must be a size no one bothers with?
Yeah, they don't make any tires in that size. I checked US auto force and they have no listing in that size.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I also noticed on tire rack that dropping to 16's and trying to go with a wider tire pretty much limits you to ultra high performance summer only tires, which is fine if you're looking for a set to autocross or track only with, but I was thinking about dropping to 16's for daily which means I need an all season tire. So looks like I'll be sticking with the stock 17's for a while then.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I also noticed on tire rack that dropping to 16's and trying to go with a wider tire pretty much limits you to ultra high performance summer only tires, which is fine if you're looking for a set to autocross or track only with, but I was thinking about dropping to 16's for daily which means I need an all season tire. So looks like I'll be sticking with the stock 17's for a while then.
If you go with a 205/55/16 there are a ton of All-season tires

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&width=205/&ratio=55&diameter=16

·
Registered
116 Posts
That was me. I was wrong. If you plan to autocross the FiST, don't run the Rivals. When the car leans in a hard turn, they rub a lot. Around town is fine if you don't use full lock steering.
Where do they rub, inside or outside surface of the tire at full lock? What wheels and offset did you use? Would rolling the fenders eliminate the problem?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Where do they rub, inside or outside surface of the tire at full lock? What wheels and offset did you use? Would rolling the fenders eliminate the problem?
I don't have a good way to check where it rubs, as I don't fit under the car. I'll try to find a way the next time I mount the wheels. 16X7 wheel w/42mm offset

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have a good way to check where it rubs, as I don't fit under the car. I'll try to find a way the next time I mount the wheels. 16X7 wheel w/42mm offset

You can chalk up the outer edges of the sidewall and go drive in circles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Apart from the rubbing issue, are there other advantages that people have seen from the minus 1 concept? Since I'm planning to get dedicated snows for the winter, I can go with a summer only or high-performance all-season, but it seems like the 16" sizes would result in quite a bit lower rolling mass and higher performance.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Apart from the rubbing issue, are there other advantages that people have seen from the minus 1 concept? Since I'm planning to get dedicated snows for the winter, I can go with a summer only or high-performance all-season, but it seems like the 16" sizes would result in quite a bit lower rolling mass and higher performance.

Thoughts?
This is exactly why I chose to go the 16 inch route.

·
Registered
269 Posts

Thoughts?
I'd have 2 concerns going this route.
1. All the 16" options (other than 205/45R16) causes your speed to display low (which isn't the issue) but you've basically geared your car a little taller which may or may not matter but there will be an impact on acceleration.
2. 16" wheels aren't very popular and I wouldn't be surprised if as new tires come out 16" sizes aren't paid much attention. Might not matter, but worth considering.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'd have 2 concerns going this route.
1. All the 16" options (other than 205/45R16) causes your speed to display low (which isn't the issue) but you've basically geared your car a little taller which may or may not matter but there will be an impact on acceleration.
2. 16" wheels aren't very popular and I wouldn't be surprised if as new tires come out 16" sizes aren't paid much attention. Might not matter, but worth considering.
Well you can get all the popular auto-x tires in a 16inch size so I don't think that is an issue. The odd factory size seems to have less options actually. You are correct though, they will be a little taller....which means you can stick in 2nd gear a touch longer.

·
Registered
142 Posts
How do you guys think a 215/45/17 would fit? Stock suspension.
Yes, they will fit.

Turns out that a 235/40/17 on the stock rim will fit on the front as well according to others. It rubs a little under turning but seems like it helps the car rotate with those on the front and the stock size on the rear (autox situtations)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
1 - 20 of 81 Posts