Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm going with the 235 most likely on the front because of the taller tire, to squeak a little more out of 2nd which will hopefully help eliminate a fews shifts to 3rd on a national course.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Sometimes we have to make changes to get the results needed, makes sense on the gearing!

I plan to run an event or two locally when I first fire the car up just as a bit of shakedown before track events and to see the great SCCA members here before I leave Utah.

I will be in second and third and probably not right gearing at all with the short tires I will be running.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Anyone yet think about a 225/35R17 on a 17x8 +40... Wondering if with -2.5 camber up front and camber plates out back if that would fit!?!?!? Thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found a Firestone "Firehawk Wide Oval AS" tire in size 205/40R17 XL. Not sure what the XL means. Does anyone know if it would work without any problems?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not replying to you in particular just looking for some advice re: downsize winter tires. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a set of 195/55-15's and since Tire Rack doesn't have any steel wheels in stock for a while I found these from Summit.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/crr-83-5625/overview/

I read that an offset of 42-45 mm is acceptable but these only have an offset of 41 mm. I used this Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com to figure out the offset and according to their calculations fender/ wheelwell clearance is the same. Just wanted to see if these are going to fit/ if they're decent wheels. Let me know!

·
Registered
427 Posts
215 45 17

Anyone know if they rub oem wheel?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just to make a point so others understand the differences....

The widest tire you can fit on a rim is not usually the best for performance, less sidewall support can lead to less feedback and thus less overall control of the vehicle. It will weigh more and since it is taller will change the gearing which may not land in the best range for performance. This adds up, more weight, more rotational mass to overcome for acceleration and braking, more work for the suspension, more load on the chassis, less precise handling.

As in all things there is a balance to consider, cost being one, overall use, performance, looks, etc.....this is a very high performance car, putting the wrong tires on can degrade that performance significantly, if you are OK with that then by all means do so but I wanted to make sure others that see this understand the full ramifications of such a choice.

Unfortunately Ford did us a disservice going to a 205/40/17 stock tire size as it really limits the proper choice in tires.

I wanted a bit more sidewall but also high performance and low weight, not to big a gear change, etc.....very few tires fit that scenario and I also needed cold weather grip, the one tire that fit all my needs was a bit costly but known to wear really well and be incredibly good at all things except snow but OK in it and I do not plan to use the car in the snow. When you count the life of a really good tire into the overall cost it can make them more affordable than less expensive tires over time. I picked the Michelin PS A/S 3 W rated, $138 each, costly but a superb tire that will not degrade the performance of the car yet will provide excellence in all ways and long life.

I am not an expert but I have owned dozens of cars and trucks and many trailers and all but a few had custom wheels and tires, some many different sets, over the last 46 years of modding cars and trucks for street, autocross, dirt, road tracks, racing, towing, hauling, etc.....

Have a great day:)
Rick
Best news I have heard all week.

I just bought a set of 205/45/17 A/S3's because my Potenzas are damn near bald.

I live in Texas and have a need for a good A/S because we don't get enough snow or ice to merit winter tires/wheels but it gets cold enough that summer tire compounds get hard and lose traction when the temp drops. After a great deal of researching, I went with the Michelins with the taller sidewall for DD duty. I actually liked the idea of making the gearing a bit taller because I've been bitching about how utterly useless first gear is, how I also get TC in second, and how I'd like a bit more gas mileage up top because there are a lot of roads around here that are 70mph+ and MPGs drop off pretty quickly after about 70-73mph. I'm also looking at probably getting an AP in the next couple months, so it should make up for any power loss due to effective gearing changes.

How do you like the A/S3's? How do they compare to the Stock Potenzas? How is the road noise and bump handling?

THese are the things that keep me up at night. :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well after putting about 100mi on the new MIchelin A/S3s, i have to say Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

- Much nicer for a sporty DD. I actually downloaded a GPS Speedometer app for my phone and had the wife check the speed. Even with the 205/45/17 tires the Speedo was only off by about 1mph at 60. That's probably even within the margin for error.

- This thing is Soooooooo much quieter, and it handles rough roads much more smoothly, but I also took a corner pretty hard this morning and it still had it.

- I'm getting less wheel hop/TC in first and second gear. Don't know how much that has to do with the rubber compound or the change in tire size.

I'm going to fill up today and see if it has affected gas mileage in any meaningful way, but overall the car just seems a lot less rough.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just figure I'd post in here, before starting a new thread....

What has everyone been replacing their OEM rubber with? Getting ready to think about pulling the trigger on some new tires for the summer wheels. Curious to know what everyone else has been going with and how well you like them. All of my RE050's are below 4/32".... pretty much on borrowed time in my opinion.

I was thinking Bridgestone RE760's or make it out on the cheap with Sumitomo HTR Z II's

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just figure I'd post in here, before starting a new thread....

What has everyone been replacing their OEM rubber with? Getting ready to think about pulling the trigger on some new tires for the summer wheels. Curious to know what everyone else has been going with and how well you like them. All of my RE050's are below 4/32".... pretty much on borrowed time in my opinion.

I was thinking Bridgestone RE760's or make it out on the cheap with Sumitomo HTR Z II's

Thanks in advance!
And then start a new thread anyways. ROFL!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just understand that this forum moves a lot slower than other car forums I have been on. I haven't gotten replies for days at times, sometimes weeks.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just understand that this forum moves a lot slower than other car forums I have been on. I haven't gotten replies for days at times, sometimes weeks.
Challenge accepted. You now haz a reply.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts