Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey just figured i let people know. just had to take my st in for a knock that sound like maybe suspension. after taking it to ford i found that the top motor mount had failed. luckilly because it wasn't after market (cobb rmm still running strong) it was covered under warranty. has anyone else had this problem? :confused:

·
Registered
186 Posts
There have been others that the top motor mount had the bolt break.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not sure but it would be nice if they came out with upgrades for the other motormounts also

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would like to see cobb come out with a top motor mount and new bolt. They seem to have the least vibration. For me thats important as my st is my dd which i drive over 100miles a day

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Where is this top mount located?

There is one under the coolant bottle on the passengers side of car and the other is under the battery tray on drivers side bolting the transfer to the car. Most times the bolt loosen or break on the passengers side motor mount under the coolant reservoir bottle.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
which is exactly the one that busted passenger top. does anyone make an upgrade yet?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
which is exactly the one that busted passenger top. does anyone make an upgrade yet?
Not other than finding and putting a stronger bolt in place of the broken one if it is the larger center bolt. it is suppose to be a M12x45 or 50, 1.75 pitch I have a grade 8 and grade 10 I picked up from fastenal online but have yet to need them. Romur has it DHM is looking into better more solid mounts for our cars sometime in the future but he is swamped with FMIC and moving into his new shop so it may be a bit..

·
Registered
678 Posts
Be very careful changing the strength of your motor mount bolts. They were often designed to sheer under certain conditions, and often a broken bolt is significantly better than what would otherwise happen.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I read an article online that says the mounts used are the same as the base fiesta. Our FiST have a 90% torque increase over base stock. looks like they were cutting a couple corners.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, I know the knock you describe as I too experience it on both sides of the front of the car. It happens more often now as I have 45k miles with a Cobb RMM and stock suspension aside from TB front and rear lower bars. That knock typically is more audible at parking lot speeds, for instance driving over a speed bump at an angle or with one wheel off the bump. Seems the torsional forces cause more sound than if I was to approach the speed bump directly. Also entering an uphil driveway at an angle causes it. How easy or difficult is it to replace these myself?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just had mine replaced (top mount on drivers side) during 15000km service, was especially noticable when reversing and at low speed, even going over bumps would sometimes cause it. Was like driving a new car when it was fixed.

p.s. Running stock RMM, so doubt it's an issue caused by aftermarket ones

1 - 13 of 13 Posts