Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching the reviews for the Fiesta ST makes me really want to try this thing out on a track (still waiting on my VIN unfortunately...).

As I understand, track days allow you to basically take your car out for a couple laps. Im wondering if anyone has any advice on where some good tracks are (I'm from Toronto), what id be looking at spending, some advice/tips etc. This is my first sporty car, never done anything motorsport related before.

Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
There are tons of track days. Every weekend for sure. They range in price from $80 - $400/day. If you have never been on the track, you're better off going to a track day where there would be an instructor. Some track days have instructors teaching theory and then riding shot gun to give you pointers. It is by far worth the extra $$$ if you are just starting out. Going out there with no experience can be intimidating and dangerous to you and others. Whats more, is when the instructors are not teaching/riding with you, they are in their own cars going around the track. You can almost always hitch a ride with someone, and learn the lines. Track days are easy and laid back. Everyone seems to help each other out.

I'll let you know if I run across something.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I drive mostly with the BMW CCA HPDE's (high performance drivers education) and they are great. All students regardless of skill level start the day/weekend with an instructor. The advanced students get signed-off early in the day/weekend and can drive solo from there. The novice students have an instructor throughout the event. All skill levels also have 1-2 classroom sessions a day. The instructors with BMW CCA are top notch and very passionate. Many are club racers which is great if your goal is truly to learn to drive fast.

I can't comment on exactly what is in Canada, but I'm sure there are other groups Porsche Car Club is another biggie, also TrackDaze, Speed Ventures, and some others. All offer instruction as part of the basic price. I'd avoid doing open track days (no instructor) until you have a lot of seat time. Practicing is great, but only if you're practicing the right things. Going out and doing it wrong over and over isn't going to make you better.

For price, again Canada may be different, but I typically pay $300-$450 for a weekend (2-3 days w/ 4 20 min sessions per day) and that seems typical. Some groups are more, some less, but that seems to be the norm at least in the Mid-Atlantic region of the US.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I am from Burlington and there are a few tracks nearby. MoSport is probably the best one (most expensive). I think its called Canadian Tire Motorsports Park and it is just off of HWY115 on your way to Peterborough. I had a chance to do an Exotic rental there and drove an F430 on MoSport and it was amazing.

Then there is Toronto Motorsports Park in Cayuga just south of Hamilton. I have been here a few times and it is pretty cool. They have a drag strip and road course.

If you are just starting out and don't want to spend a ton of money on a track day, try autocross. It is cheap and relatively low speed so you run much less risk of damaging your car.

If you are interested in any racing, check out Canadian Automobile Sport Clubs - Ontario Region | We've Got The Place To Race for a schedule and some information. Either way you will be happy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweet! thanks guys. Autocross sounds more like what I'd want to be doing. I'm definitely going for an instructor for at least the first few times,

Have any of you had any experience with the fiesta st specifically?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Autocross is a great option if you don't want to spend as much money. However, the skills don't always translate all that well if track driving is your ultimate goal. The environment (on-track) is very different than in an autocross.

But it all depends on your goals, budget, risk acceptance level, and so on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Autocross is a great option if you don't want to spend as much money. However, the skills don't always translate all that well if track driving is your ultimate goal. The environment (on-track) is very different than in an autocross.

But it all depends on your goals, budget, risk acceptance level, and so on.
I just want it to be a hobby, not planning on getting serious into track driving. Just something fun to do on the weekends, and to stretch my fiesta's legs a little without getting me a ticket

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I just want it to be a hobby, not planning on getting serious into track driving. Just something fun to do on the weekends, and to stretch my fiesta's legs a little without getting me a ticket
Then start off in AutoX the stock Fiesta will be a hoot to drive in those and when you want to really stretch its legs look to find a (HPDE) Hi Performance Driving Event (or track lapping day or whatever it may be called) in your area and enjoy A fun relatively cheap weekend event.. From the factory this car is safe cheap and fun to drive as is .... only thing you will need is a good helmet... Then if you get into it more you can decide if you want to play around with the car via the "mod" route.. Though it isn't a Race car it is a fun car to drive and finds it's and your limits ..

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts