Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2014 Fiesta ST and it will be my daily but also see some track/HPDE time. So I'd like to buy a set of track pads and SS lines. Does anyone know if there are offerings for the 2014 Fiesta ST yet?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've never had the Stainless Steel brake lines on a car - had the pads but what's the benefits of the lines - just show?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Stainless brake lines on a track care are considered a wear item and should be replaced every 2-3 years. Just like wheel studs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Interesting - thanks for the clarification. For a street car that sees the odd track day every now and then it sounds like it wouldnt be worth it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Some say the Braided SS lines are less apt to stretch or bulge under hard braking and don;t fatigue over the life of the can keeping the brake pedal more firm feeling and easier to modulate .. Plus they look cool ...
That's pretty much it.

Steel braided brake lines came into competition cars for many reasons. Depending on who you believe, the primary reason could vary greatly.

To some, it was to control expansion in the early low quality rubber lines from the much higher line pressure seen in competition situations. The use of a different construction of rubber and sheathing it in the braided steel pretty much solved that problem and in many applications brake feel could be markedly improved. This reason has less and less validity over the years with improvement in the grades of rubber used and in how the lines are constructed. Technology has made modern lines pretty much as resistant to expansion as they can be.

Most will state the braided steel line covering was applied to the brake lines for much the same reason it was applied to radiator hoses, oil and power steering lines and to fuel lines. It was placed there to protect the rubber from being slashed or gashed by debris or when a minor collision occurred or by the wheel during pit stops. Basically, it's a very vulnerable rubber hose. Stock cars had thin metal body panels and could, and did, slice through brake lines quite easily.

The brake line covering is not something utilized on street cars for a similar list of opposite reasons. The exposed rubber permits mechanics to quickly ascertain the condition of the rubber and if there are leaks. On a street car, a long, sometimes lifetime, service life is expected by the owner and quickly diagnosing a brake leak or other issue by being able to examine and touch the rubber lines is easiest for the mechanic. Conversely, on a competition car, (and as another contributor said) these lines are a service item that may only see a few test sessions, a few races or less. Finally, I believe there used to be a subsection to an obscure DOT safety rule mandating that brake lines were to be rubber in construction. Possibly their intent was so that safety responders could quickly locate and cut a brake line if there was some issue that required a brake be urgently released. It's the same sort of rule that removed ATE Super Blue brake fluid from the streets of the USA because the DOT rules mandate a certain color for all over the road fluids so that any spill can quickly be identified. A big puddle of blue fluid on a street might perplex a fire fighter.

Regardless, the recent findings are that braided lines are always a plus on a heavily track used car. However, on an occasional use street/track car, they may be simply overkill or not a good idea all together. With the ABS pumps able to measure quite a bit more effectively now and with their measurements being used in so many different ways (i.e. our torque vectoring, TCS, ESC, etc.) it remains to be seen how those systems will react to changes in what values they see. I would argue that a change in lines only would likely be so negligible, but who knows. Until it's tested or when Ford comes out with an approved set for this car, I think the smart money is to tread cautiously. I think until there is someone with sufficient track miles to note a failure or deficiency related specifically to the lines that the purchase might be premature.

I say that as someone that has put braided lines on every car I've owned. I've just not had one with such a complicated braking system as this one.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have had SS lines on dozens of cars and many with ABS but holding off on this car for now.

I will be making some sort of ducting for air to the front rotors as I am very hard on brakes and believe that will be more than enough for my track days, with good pads of course, if not then front BBK will have to be sourced.

Pads, If none can be found Carbotech will make you some, I needed some custom ones once for a fast TT car I had a caliper issue with and had to put on the stock front brakes. I had the pads in 3 days, ran several TT sessions and had no brake issues at all but I did have serious ducts to them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have had SS lines on dozens of cars and many with ABS but holding off on this car for now.

I will be making some sort of ducting for air to the front rotors as I am very hard on brakes and believe that will be more than enough for my track days, with good pads of course, if not then front BBK will have to be sourced.

Pads, If none can be found Carbotech will make you some, I needed some custom ones once for a fast TT car I had a caliper issue with and had to put on the stock front brakes. I had the pads in 3 days, ran several TT sessions and had no brake issues at all but I did have serious ducts to them.
I had some Porsche brake cooling diverters installed on my SVT Focus in 2007. They were welded to the LCA. They worked well and never caused any of the feared side effects (Porsche does use them, after all). For some reason, this site does not like my (ancient) shutterfly image locations. So here is a link to the forum thread discussing the Posrche wings:

http://http://forums.focaljet.com/focus-road-racing/545827-brake-cooling-ducts.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts