Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 2014 FiST manuals note the transmission requires dual-clutch XT-11-QDC meeting specification WSS-M2C200-D2. The oil I find online, and at the Ford dealer notes it meets specification WSD-M2C200-D2. The Ford chemical website notes XT-11-QDC meets specification WSS-M2C200-D2.
Is WSS the same as WSD? Can WSD be used in a car that "requires" spec WSS? What's the difference!?!
Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
They are not the same oil. WSD is a 75W90 while WSS is a 75W80. There may be other technical differences as well but the only source I could find to download the techie stuff wants $10. We have discussed gearbox oil in other threads. The only oil that meets specs in the US is the Motorcraft XT-11-QDC. Castrol offers an approved oil outside the US but has no plans to import it here.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A local Ford garage only has the WSD prefix in stock, and they don't know how to get the WSS prefix oil. It may be that all new XT-11-QDC comes as WSS. On the official Ford Chemical and Lubricant website, there is only WSS listed, and WSD does not exist from what I can find. My guess is though, you go to a Ford dealer and they are going to put the heavier weight transmission fluid in your car where it actually "requires" the lighter weight.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I emailed the Ford MSDS Help Desk, and they said the two oil specifications, WSS and WSD prefixes, are the same oil. I do not believe them. I wrote a snail mail letter to the Ford Motor Corporation in Detroit, including the email chain, and asked them the same question noting my lack of satisfaction with the email replies. We'll see what I get back for a response.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts