Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to our vendors and with Powerflex directly then ordered all the suspension bushings in the race grade version for my street/track ST project. I have done all the bushings in many cars including C5 and C6 Vettes, they always made the cars better, in more than one way, but have to be done right and in balance with the rest of the mods. It is exciting and easy these days to add power which is great fun but building a fully developed car that does everything well is far more interesting to drive, faster, safer, and generally more reliable...so much so that I have beaten many higher powered cars in many different events, for a very long time and have rarely broken down.

Reactions: Blackbird

· Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
[h=2]PowerFlex Black race bushings and Cobb RMM on order from Modbargains:)[/h]
Ordered from Modbargains.
Power Flex, Black Race series
Front control arm front bushines
Front control arm rear bushings
Front sway bar bushings
Rear beam axle bushings
Cobb RMM

I talked with Jurrian and MB and also a tech at PF and decided to go all out and get the race series bushings as my car is going to be setup for some very serious lap times and I want the best feedback and control I can get. (I built full monoball race suspensions but those are to harsh and to much maintenance for the street and this car will be used for both)

I will run the stock front sway bar with the black bushings and adjustable end links I will put together from parts here. The bushings will make the front bar more effective and very precise but I do not want to much front bar on a FWD, often I have had no front bar at all. I will decide on what rear bar to run but have considered making my own.

RMM, really should be called REM as engines are powered by fuel, motors are powered by electricity

I will decide on coilovers soon, going to run 225 race tires or possibly Rivals, looking into adding more rear camber.....

Sure having fun with modding this great little car:)

· Registered
340 Posts
I'm pretty sure I'm going to do bushings too. However, I think I will remain on the stock suspension. Even if I were to chance by some coilovers, I'd have them at max height. Unless somebody out there is gonna make subframe risers to correct the suspension geometry from lowering the car, I'll leave that alone. In my opinion this car's wheel gap isn't altogether unattractive.

· Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will only lower my car to the point where it still has proper geometry and no further, rear will be lowered accordingly and I have to drive into a toyhauler, much higher than a regular trailer. I do have the longest Race Ramps made but even then I cannot lower the car to much and might not be able to run a splitter at all unless I design a quick release for it.

Most lowered cars you see are far to low and hurt more than help the handling and or make the ride terrible, a pain to drive in many situations, far less safe from stuff on the road, etc.....I have been lowering cars since around 1972 and love the look but love how a car drives far more.

· Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just took a quick look, lowering this car with a front subframe mod would take major surgery to the subframe, not worth it. Finding roll center and bump steer correction parts would be far easier to do, even if had to find parts and have a bit of machining done or welding on the control arms. I doubt I will lower my car enough to need those.

· Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quite well, thank you:)

I have been to busy to post on more than one forum, this is a great one but I am a Mod on another one so post there most of the time.

· Registered
2 Posts
have you driven the fiesta with the power flex bushings on the stock struts? I've read that the polyurethane bushings give a more precise feel, not to say the car stock doesn't feel great from the factory. just wondering if the power flex bushings conflicted with the stock struts. I would imagine the stiffer bushings would be a nice simple suspension upgrade.

· Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, did not drive it in the last 5 or so months and only drove it a few miles before I started working on it, only 293 miles on it but should finally have it on the road in a week or so, waiting for some parts and building some.

I can say that the stock bushings are quite firm in this car but they do add some load to the suspension as the flex as most all stock bushings do.

For now I would have to say it might be better to spend the time and money elsewhere for most people but I am a bit of an extreme handling buff and do all I can.

· Registered
116 Posts
How easy is it to replace the rear beam axle bushings? I have the PowerFlex bushings, and all are installed except the rear axle bushings that look HUGE! Also, where did you get adjustable end links for your front bar? Thanks!

· Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is a pretty serious job but there might be an easier way than how I did mine.

I had the car on a lift, pulled the whole axle, used a shop press but had to hang the axle from a chain on a tall transmission jack, secure it to stay level, press out then press in the new bushings.....

If you can find the right size tubing which I do not recall the diameter and a rod and bolt setup you might find a way to do the job with the axle hanging on the car by the shocks.

I have a big C clamp press kit that might of worked with the right diameter adapter tube, I have used it to replace many bushings, likely I could of got it to work and easier than using shop press.

Good luck!!

Rick

· Registered
116 Posts
Rick: DARN! I was afraid you were going to say something like that! I was planning on taking the car to the dealer, as they should have all the tools, etc. BUT, their labor rates are TWICE as high as the independent shop I go to now! One of our problems is that the FiSTs are too new, so that experienced mechanics have not worked on too many as of yet. CJ's is HUGE in supplying and having In Tune Autoworks install Mustang parts/components! I'll bet they all can do any job on a 'Stang with their eyes closed! But there is a "learning curve" with our cars--so the gamble is can the independent shop, with their less expensive labor charge--do the job more cheaply than a dealer--but the dealer MAY have more experience or, as you alluded to, specialized tools to get the bushings out more easily. While I agree with you that bushings are the "Start" of handling improvements, I'd really like to know what overall effect would be if I replaced that rear axle bushing with the Powerflex Black bushings!! At my age, it may be impossible for me to tell. But, when I replaced all my bushings in my early BMWs with spherical bushings, the result was IMMEDIATE, and that was with worm and roller steering box!

· Registered
87 Posts
Rick how does the car feel with those tear bushings installed? I'm feeling the back end get a little more lively the harder I drive it and the rubber gives me a non linear feel to the movement of the rear. I'm imagining the harder rear bushings would give me that more linear feel. Your thoughts?

My Fiest is strictly a road car but it does get driven enthusiastically.

· Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I only put 5 miles on my car putting around before I started all the mods and less than 5 miles test driving it before I bought it which means I do not have much to compare it to.

Things to consider.

1) Stock bushings are designed to last a very long time, they flex instead of rotating freely so they can change over time and do stiffen up a bit towards the ends of their movement.

2) The power flex bushings have a bolt in a metal sleeve inside the silicone thus they move freely in their intended direction but are very stiff in others, the two effects are what make them feel so much better.

3) I have replace bushings on many street/race and some pure race cars and always enjoyed the more direct control and feedback but sometimes the added ride noise is pretty high, I do not know how much on this car though. On the C7 Vette I did it made a huge difference as stock they are superb handling cars with fairly numb feedback so you learn to trust more than seat of the pants drive them.

4) A dealer may be the least experienced as they work on newer cars more than older cars.

5) Most work from a labor book at set rates, the mechanics get their share, the more they get done the more they make, not always conducive to doing the best job.

6) They might have specialty tools but any good shop that mods suspensions and regarded well should have what they need or just make a simple adapter, I have done it many times and never worked in a shop.

7) I have hardly ever been happy with any shop doing any work on any of my cars, why I do 99.99% myself but if you have a shop you know you can trust they should do just fine, it is a physical job but not really that technical.
Doing all the bushings on a Vette was at least two but probably three times the work as doing the FiST.

Hope this helps:)
Rick

· Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unless you have 2 or 3 way coilovers the dampers are almost always changing the bump and rebound at the same time.

Increasing the bump might work but it might just cause less grip which is generally if not always slower.

I would say no about damper settings and bushings, they will still move about and cause several issues.

Setting up a street car to do many things easily is not easy, making it a street/track car gets far more complicated it you want to take it to the extreme edge in what you can make it do.

Most of the time we get faster by just building a really competent but not all out perfect car and get some expert training on driving instead.

· Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cut ad pasted from a vendor website, probably cut and pasted from KW.

Two way adjustable, says infinitely variable on rebound, I would double check to make sure.

Product Description
KW Suspensions V3 Coilover Kit for all 2014-2015 Fiesta STs.
Outperform the competition on the track when you upgrade the suspension on your new 2014-2015 Fiesta ST with a V3 Coilover Kit from KW Suspensions!
V3 Coilover Features and Benefits:
- Corrosion Resistant inox-line Stainless Steel Spring Strut Casings
- High-Strength Springs
- Pre-Stressed Helper Springs Made of Flat Wire
- Polyamide Ring Nuts and Spring Plates
- Compression Buffer with Integrated Dust Protection System
- Damping Technology with Individually Adjustable Rebound and Compression Technology
- Perfect for Competition and Street Performance
- Individually Height Adjustable
- Adjustment Parameters Approved by the German Technical Control Board (TUV)
- High-Quality Components for Long Lasting Durability
- Infinitely Variable Rebound Damping Adjustment
- 14-Way Adjustable Compression Damping
- Unique, Individually Working Damping Force Adjustment
- Includes Detailed Instructions
Lowering Specifications:
- Front = 0.2" to 1.2"
- Rear = 0.2" to 1.0"
The V3, or Variant 3 coilover kit from KW Suspensions offers state-of-the-art technology from motorsports for increased performance on the road or the track. Designed with separate and independently adjustable rebound and compression damping, the V3 coilover allows for an individual suspension setup for many different driving scenarios and preferences. The innovative patented system with its two-stage valves allows a rebound damping adjustment (comfort) and a compression adjustment (driving dynamics) in the low-speed range while the high-speed range which controls driving safety, is fixed.
What makes KW Suspension coilovers the best on the market is the use of their exclusive inox-line stainless steel technology. Inox-line is highly corrosion resistant with unsurpassed quality and durability. After countless hours of use in all environments, the V3 coilovers will show zero signs of wear at the adjustment mechanism and should look perfect, just like the day you installed them. KW also designs each strut with trapezoid threads in the inox-line stainless steel to ease the ability of height adjustment when necessary.
If you're looking to upgrade your Fiesta ST's suspension, you want to get your parts from the leader in the suspension industry, and that's KW Suspensions. CJ Pony Parts now offers KW coilover suspension kits for the 2014-2015 Fiesta ST that offer state-of-the-art technology and several levels of performance, you can match the kit to suite your specific driving style.
Order a KW Suspensions V3 Coilover Kit for your 2014-2015 Fiesta ST from CJ Pony Parts today!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.