Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1220 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,

While my Fiesta ST is a fair way off yet, one of the first things I want to do after I've done a run in of about 5,000km is to do a tune. Now I'm seeing alot of tuning work being done in the states but they're apparently incompatible with European and Australian FiSTs so I think it would be good if anyone who knows tuning options here in Australia could pipe up and link the company and website URLs for us all.

I'm aware there is Mountune but I've heard it's not a good remap (though that could be Americans that have thought they could use it and is not compatible) and I've heard whispers of Bluefin but I have no information on that. I know in the states they use the Accessport handheld tuner. We have that same handheld unit here - are there Australian tunes we could load onto that?

So many questions - so few answers! Any gurus out there? :confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am not sure about "it is not a good remap", but I am comforted by a couple of factors when I researched into Mountune upgrade.

First and foremost in UK it is "... the only performance upgrade that will not affect your manufacturer base vehicle warranty."

Fiesta ST (2013 >)

Maybe it could be argued here that if it is professionally installed it should not affect the manufacturers warranty arguing a precedent. Maybe Ford can even install them if we source them from UK??

Also did you see the following clip?

Looks like the kit will shave off 0.5 of a sec off 0-100, quite a significant improvement.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I gave seen that video and I actually asked my local dealer for information. They hadn't heard anything and have said even if there was, they would affect warranty.

There are a fair few people disappointed with the Mountune tune and are looking around for new tuning options. I don't know the specifics of why they are unhappy but I would be keen for anyone running/did run it and changed maps why they changed. Rather not spend money on it if it really is bad.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think alot of people are going to think like that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm in Sydney. Running Bluefin. Great little tune. Watch it in the wet though. Torque steer/wheel spin like mad. I am selling my my FiST though.

And you are bang on. There are no other tuning options down here. Bluefin or Mountune are your choices, and Mountune is not warranted. At least nothing else yet but there is talk of the Revo tune coming here. Problem is that there are no local dealers to support it yet.

I've been through all this already so trust me haha. I know our options.

Tuning is tuning at the end of the day. If you want the extra gains, you have to take on the risk of something going potentially wrong and losing your warranty. If you don't want to take that risk, then don't do it. Simple as that. I tuned mine at 1000kms.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Upgrading to something bigger. No other reason. Car is rock solid with a lot of extras :). Exhaust, springs, intake, tune, short shift kit....

As it stands it's going in as a trade. Dealer gave me an awesome deal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fair enough. Must be something special you are upgrading to...
How many kms have you done on yours and how long did you have it for?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What did you get ConST? I'm very surprised that you got a trade in you were happy with - especially happy enough to call it an "awesome deal". I'm a car salesperson myself and unless they loaded up on the trade value with profit margin from the car you're buying you'd not be happy. 80% of people are unhappy with trade figures and maybe 20% say it's what they expected and is mediocre.

Shame you're selling! As olympic says, it's pretty much new and you've done a fair bit of tinkering already!

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's exactly what happened. They loaded up the trade in value. Paid out my finance, and put a few k in my pocket as well.

I know the owner of the dealer. Gave me a bit off as well.

It's a new 2014 Audi S3

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, that's a big change. What was the reason for going for the S3? If it was my money I'd probably go an A45 AMG with the S3 a close second. Wish I had the money to be getting into a car like that but for now it's a bit of a pipe dream haha.

Enjoy the Audi! When do you get it?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry - also how much did the Bluefin tune set you back and do you have any links/dyno graphs? Very keen to see some information. The stock tune felt quite good to me but just like my current car (Veloster Turbo 1.6) it feels 9/10ths of what I want. Just a tickle off the power figure that would satisfy me - I want something that puts a bit of fear/hesitation in me going full blast so I don't get bored of it when I can easily hit it's limits.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I should get it in three weeks. Assuming the dealer swap works out haha. If not then I have no car lol. I always look for available stock. Will never wait six months for a car.

Not a fan of the A45. Too boy racer for me. Trying too hard to be an AMG when it's really not. That's just me though.

I got it from Tiger Performance. $600 I think. Speak to John. He's awesome to deal with. Dyno is just what is on the bluefin site. For a stock tune like that, I wouldn't bother getting a dyno done.

The Bluefin is all you need on this car. No more. Trust me. Wheelspin a plenty of you hammer it, and the torque steer is very present now. It will have you hanging on for sure. Otherwise you're going to swerve in the car next to you.

Are you in Sydney? If so I live north shore. Happy to show you it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In regards to the A45 I can see where you're coming from - from the reviews I've read though it is a bona fide ripper of a car. 265kw & 400nm in a small AWD hatchback is pretty nuts. It's a matter of taste though - I'm young so it appeals to me :p

Did you feel a big difference when you got the tune done? I don't want to shell out $600 if it's not going to be a noticable difference.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Massive diff with the tune. For sure.

What people don't realize is the acceleration specs for the A45 is based on using launch control. With the S3 it's not. So the cars are equal on pace off the line. I'm also not a fan of the looks.

Throw a tune in the S3, which is already available, and it hauls. Much more refined.

I've driven both back to back. S3 hands down for me. The A45 wasn't as good as people praise it to be.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh wow - didn't realise they did the launch control for the 0-100 time. The S3 would be a hell of a car with a tune - wouldn't think there'd be many tunes out there for it yet?

Good to hear the feedback on the tune though - I don't want something that doesn't take things to the next level performance wise. My first mods will probably be a set of wheels, then short shifter and knob and then likely a tune. Probably coilovers or springs then after that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah there is a lot of hype for the A45. Don't get me wrong, it's a cracker of a car, but if I'm getting an AMG car, it has to be a huge, burly V8 with 10000Nm of torque and RWD. Otherwise, it's not an AMG. They've made the car look a little too poser for me.

The S3 is a wolf in sheeps clothing. Understated yet hauls arse.

I would even go M135i before I went A45. And I would have gone with the BMW if I was going with a manual box. I decided to go S-Tronic at the last minute though.

Mountune short shift is a must on this car. First mod I did. Along with a TWM M1 Abrams solid stainless steel knob. One of the best shift feelings I've ever had on any car.

1 - 20 of 1220 Posts