Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Wouldn't be a bad experiment, but definitely be sure to go with a well known proven brand. Add 2 90 degree silicone couplers and you should be good to go, if it measures correct.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what kind of gains are guys getting with bigger/better intercoolers?

With my ap3 I have to say I was hopping for a bigger punch.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The core sizes are not very big so not much gain for the trouble of doing the install which will probably require cutting some of the shrouding above or below it or both and adding more on the ends to direct air flow, etc.....

I have been looking into this for some time now and found some bigger core size units but not sure how well they are made, flow, etc.....I am considering getting the lower priced one just to see what it looks like inside and then maybe test it but I have no means to do this fully, just have to install and measure temps, not flow. I could do a canned tune and compare what other IC sold for the car show for power, etc...then get a dyno run on it.......

I do want a fairly large IC due to running 20-30 minute track sessions with probably the GT25 or possibly bigger turbo as long as not to much lag for street use(I race on track, not on the street, just needs to drive well on the street) this is why looking a the biggest ones sold by aftermarket ST providers and DIY even bigger.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Wouldn't such a big IC have an effect in engine cooling?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk 2
I did speak to Pro Alloy if that would be a problem. They said it was not a issue they have had experienced in the UK. The intercooler core is only 40mm thick to avoid reducing the air flow too much. How would it go in a hot climate?, no real way of knowing without try it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
You wound not need or want that big of an IC unless going BIG power.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Monitoring coolant temps with an AP? Holy huge IC for a turbo with an outlet smaller than a quarter

Reactions: Colin1337

·
Registered
728 Posts
That's some crazy big IC! Nuts!
Got a photo with the front bumper reinstalled?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
678 Posts
I would rather run a small IC for less pressure drop and lag... Air temps can only get so ambient :). I would add a CryO2 sprayer to it if I wanted any extra cooling.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I found this too:
Edelbrock Intercooler Kit For 1996-2000 Honda Civic EX
Auto part Automotive super charger part Transmission part Muffler Clearly I am a novice when it comes to turbo applications. Can one of you geniuses help me understand what the benefits of a mountune vs the up and coming Cobb vs another piece that offers similar dimensions. I hate the idea of dropping close to a grand on something that a 200-300 edelbrock or whatever could do with a little fab work. What is the likelihood that the mountune, Levels, Cobb, Airtec are going to be much better than the edelbrock above, as long as the dimensions are close to stock or a bit larger.

I have seen 29x3x7 intrcoolers out there for great prices. Help me know what I am looking for.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I found this too:
Edelbrock Intercooler Kit For 1996-2000 Honda Civic EX
Clearly I am a novice when it comes to turbo applications. Can one of you geniuses help me understand what the benefits of a mountune vs the up and coming Cobb vs another piece that offers similar dimensions. I hate the idea of dropping close to a grand on something that a 200-300 edelbrock or whatever could do with a little fab work. What is the likelihood that the mountune, Levels, Cobb, Airtec are going to be much better than the edelbrock above, as long as the dimensions are close to stock or a bit larger.

I have seen 29x3x7 intrcoolers out there for great prices. Help me know what I am looking for.
I think in general what you are paying for is synergy with a compete tuning solution. With Mountune and Cobb they have a off the shelf tune that works with their parts. You can buy packages and then install the tune appropriate for your parts. You don't have to worry if you got the inner cooler to flow right, or if you have the right intake, etc. It will work because you got all their parts. This requires them to put together a package that works and a tune that is optimized for the parts, power and reliability. It *IS* possible the generic innercooler or the edlebrock would perform just as well, but you don't get any guarantee. Also you are paying for fitment. The Mountune and Cobb solutions will be direct fit with very little modification required. This is nice if you ever need to return to stock and sell your car (or turn in your Lease... lol Pelotonracer2 )

·
Registered
300 Posts
Also... On the stock retarded turbo ( SRT) the $385 ebay intercooler made more power on the dyno than the $800 sperco intercooler. The sperco flowed so well, that the air moved through the core so fast that it didn't have time to get cooled ( think old cars when you removed the thermostat from the radiator ). It was pretty interesting. Then... When they used a garrett 50-trim, the sperco DESTROYED the ebay cooler on the dyno. It didn't need extra cooling, it needed cfm/flow.
Wow this is really interesting. I didn't think flow would make THAT big of a difference. Good information, nice to see actual experience instead of speculation :)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The stock srt4 intercooler is the same size or so as the fist one. When i upgraded my srt4 intercooler, my charge temps went from 200+ - 300degrees down to 150-160 degrees and i'm sure it flowed a hell of a lot better due to shear size at least. The intercooler was $385 shipped. I realize the fist is new and don't expect it to be that cheap, but something to keep in mind.

Also... On the stock retarded turbo ( SRT) the $385 ebay intercooler made more power on the dyno than the $800 sperco intercooler. The sperco flowed so well, that the air moved through the core so fast that it didn't have time to get cooled ( think old cars when you removed the thermostat from the radiator ). It was pretty interesting. Then... When they used a garrett 50-trim, the sperco DESTROYED the ebay cooler on the dyno. It didn't need extra cooling, it needed cfm/flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was rocking one of those Ebay Godspeed intercoolers on my SRT4. Couldnt beat it for the price lol

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I may be hijacking my own thread but, if I had to choose between an intercooler or a down pipe for my next mod, which would be best?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts