Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new member here. I've been into cars since I was about 7 and could identify the make and model of a vehicle from it's headlights while my parents drove me around at night. The FiST is the first small car I've been genuinely excited about. I have had 3 cars previously: '86 Maxima SE 5M, '97 Accord coupe 5M, and my current DD a 2002 Maxima SE 6M. On a whim today I checked out a fully loaded black FiST at my local dealership. Three things stuck out to me that I was hoping to get everyone's opinion on. My thoughts weren't real clear while at the dealership because the salesman and his manager wouldn't stop trying to get me to buy the car, even though the first words out of my mouth (which I repeated a dozen times) were "I'm not buying a car today." I've been browsing threads for the last hour, but haven't really found the info I'm looking for. Any help is appreciated.

1) Recaro seats: I'm 5'9" and weigh 160 lbs, but i'm very muscular across my chest/shoulders/back. The Recaro seats made me feel like I was hunching over the whole time I was driving. Anyone else notice something similar? I tried 3 or 4 different seat heights and recline settings, but the sense of being hunched over by the seatback never went away.

2) The hood: This is just something I have never experienced before. Every car I've ever driven I have been able to see the hood while in my standard driving position. I like being able to see where the front corners of the car are; that isn't the case with the FiST. Has anyone else had a similar experience with previous vehicles? I assume its a "muscle memory" thing that will go away once I've got a bunch of drive time behind the wheel.

3) Sound system: Like I said, i couldn't get the salesman to stop talking, regardless of how loud I turned up the stereo. From what I could tell it sounded decent, but I couldn't hear it will enough to compare to my current Bose system in my car. Does this car need a decent sub to sound complete?

4) Final gripe: No auto-dimming mirror? I assume that is something that can be purchased on the aftermarket, but can someone confirm?

Thanks so much for helping out the newbie!
Zach

· Registered
314 Posts
Welcome,

Dealerships are always a fun experience :p

1) I'm 6'4 220 pounds. I come from a long history with mustangs and I fit in the Fiesta more comfortably, I wiggle into the bolsters and find a comfortable spot (it's sort of like a hug while I drive)

2) It's strange at first not being able to see the hood but I find that I park too far away rather than hitting anything if that is your concern. I typically use the reflection of a car next to me to see how close my front end is to a curb etc.

3) It's nothing to write home about but it gets the job done. I don't care much for sound so I cant comment on adding subs.

4) Auto-Dimming mirror was not a concern for me however I had tint installed on delivery.

The reason I traded in my mustang for the fiesta is the way it made me feel the second I sat inside it. It's sort of like riding a chainsaw to work every day and I just constantly have a smile on my face even if my mustang was faster I feel faster. The community is also fantastic and there are a ton of mods to be done.

Hope this helps,

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, it definitely does! I am concerned about coming in too close to obstacles in regards to being able to see the hood; I like your idea of using the reflection from other cars. In terms of the seats, and I mean no ill intent by this, do you think that because you are heavier than I am the cushioning may give more to you than me? The bolstering felt pretty darn rigid to me; but this would also be my first brand new car, so perhaps the foam has to be broken in a bit.

· Registered
314 Posts
The bolsters are very rigid and even after 15k miles they aren't breaking in very much, I have to remove my wallet from my back pocket to be comfortable as well. It may be a weight thing or just the way I sit for sure.

It should also be noted that you don't have to get the Recaro seats

Comparing the two.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the photo! How did you pull off having one of each in the same car? And it kinda looks like the recaro seat does push forward at the top, just below the headrest. I'll have to find a different dealer with the non recaro st seats

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

· Registered
9 Posts
By the way - don't wish to contradict AT-AT as he is relating his own personal experience, but I have heard several reports regarding the tight seats and it does come down to personal preference and just your general body shape. Some rave about the great lateral support and others find it just too restrictive. I guess the secret is try both but don't buy one with Recaro's expecting them to ease over time because that may not happen.

· Registered
588 Posts
These are VERY forgiving race seats for a factory car. As far as the "hunched" over feeling, that is the position that is best for drive ability, not for comfort. I feel these seats are amazingly good for this type of factory seat. They do break in a tiny bit, but not much only about 5% so far, which is about right IMO. However, I am a rail and have been driving far more uncomfortable race vehicles. My Acura RL though..... If I drive the FiST then get in the Acura, it feels like the car is floating on the road. Plus cornering feels like a boat now ( it is a boat though ).

Alas if you wanted a regular "car" feel get the regular seats. The Recaros aren't going to be for everyone.

I feel out of place in a car that DOESN'T do this to me anymore.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all of the input everyone! This was a lot more information than I was expecting to get in such a short period of time. I hadn't been able to get the salesman to quiet down long enough to figure out how to adjust the headrest, thanks for the tip DjDevilCloud. I think I'll have to go and test drive a fiesta with the recaros and one without and see which I like better. Hopefully the copilot won't be such a chatty Cathy the second time around. Jonboy, Thank you for advising not to have the expectation of the seats easing in over time.
Thanks everyone!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

· Registered
192 Posts
Welcome Mightymite. Glad the feedback has been helpful. I chose the Recaro seats after testing a Focus ST with Recaro's and a FiST with both seat types. Interestingly, the FiST Recaro's were more comfortable (for me) than those in the Focus, and I concluded the standard seats were nice, but didn't match the "hold" I wanted during more aggressive driving. Also, my wife did the same test and found the Recaro's a better fit for her. In the end, you are doing it right by testing both seats to see which fit you best. Agree, sales people can be a "pain" and don't listen well...maybe give him/her a sucker to stop the chatter?

· Registered
230 Posts
1. Def take a test drive with both, the Recaro's do break in a small amount after a little while.

2. This is how hatchbacks are. You'll get used to it quickly and also be amazed at where you can fit it

3. It's not a Bose system but it does the job, a small sub/amp setup done right should fix any problems. It's not too hard to get a great sound system in a hatch.

Good luck with your decision and if this forum is any proof you will not be happier if you pull the trigger!

· Registered
153 Posts
Hey all, new member here. I've been into cars since I was about 7 and could identify the make and model of a vehicle from it's headlights while my parents drove me around at night. The FiST is the first small car I've been genuinely excited about. I have had 3 cars previously: '86 Maxima SE 5M, '97 Accord coupe 5M, and my current DD a 2002 Maxima SE 6M. On a whim today I checked out a fully loaded black FiST at my local dealership. Three things stuck out to me that I was hoping to get everyone's opinion on. My thoughts weren't real clear while at the dealership because the salesman and his manager wouldn't stop trying to get me to buy the car, even though the first words out of my mouth (which I repeated a dozen times) were "I'm not buying a car today." I've been browsing threads for the last hour, but haven't really found the info I'm looking for. Any help is appreciated.

1) Recaro seats: I'm 5'9" and weigh 160 lbs, but i'm very muscular across my chest/shoulders/back. The Recaro seats made me feel like I was hunching over the whole time I was driving. Anyone else notice something similar? I tried 3 or 4 different seat heights and recline settings, but the sense of being hunched over by the seatback never went away.

I am built the same you, and have just over 3000 miles on my car now. The Recaro's are one of the big selling points for me, I love them. We took a 9 hour drive to Utah last month for the ST Academy. After the drive I felt great. So I have not noticed what you have with the Recaro's.

2) The hood: This is just something I have never experienced before. Every car I've ever driven I have been able to see the hood while in my standard driving position. I like being able to see where the front corners of the car are; that isn't the case with the FiST. Has anyone else had a similar experience with previous vehicles? I assume its a "muscle memory" thing that will go away once I've got a bunch of drive time behind the wheel.

I see your point, but this does not bother me.

3) Sound system: Like I said, i couldn't get the salesman to stop talking, regardless of how loud I turned up the stereo. From what I could tell it sounded decent, but I couldn't hear it will enough to compare to my current Bose system in my car. Does this car need a decent sub to sound complete?

I have owned a lot of cars with every type of factory stereo, the Sony system in my ST is really good for the price point of the car.

4) Final gripe: No auto-dimming mirror? I assume that is something that can be purchased on the aftermarket, but can someone confirm?

My last car ( a Mini JCW ) did not have the Auto dimming mirror either. So I don't miss it.
Let me also say that I am 56 and have owned every thing from a Maserati - my ST. This is the best DD I have every owned.

Just my $0.02.
Ron

· Registered
1,150 Posts
It's your daily driver with 3k miles?
I want to work with you Ron! 15k on mine in 7 months DD.
That's crazy!! Mines my daily/only car, I'm going on 6 months and only at 4600 miles

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

· Registered
371 Posts
recaro seats - i LOVE them. i am 5'11" and 205, very muscular/broad shoulders. i fit just fine, but it is "snug" for me, so i can clearly see how it might not be comfortable for others. my friend is almost an IDENTICAL build to me, height/weight/shoulder size, and he was uncomfortable. try before you buy, this is the #1 thing with this car!

nose/hood - meh, i came from a 2012 civic SI which i couldn't see the hood at all, and a 2011 WRX before that which was an absolute wreck to park right b/c of how high the hood was, this is just personal preference/something to get used to

sound system - STRONG factory system overall, but not too bass oriented/loudness. could rectify this with a small shallow mount sub and a small amp under the rear cargo floor (it's like the car was build to have a sub there!!)

auto dimming mirror - had this on my 05 mazda6, haven't had it since. it's something that is easily doable aftermarket i'm sure

overall this is the best car i've owned already. within minutes on the test drive i knew i finally found my muse. i owned an 05 mazda6 hatch, 10 civic si coupe (that i supercharged, 11 wrx hatch (that i did a ton of work to), and a 12 civic si sedan (flashpro, slight mods)
this car is far and away better than all. every car has it's weaknessess, but for what i want, this fiesta has NONE (save the lack of booming bass, which i'm going to fix)

i actually chose this car over the focus ST due to me loving it more. i "liked" the focus st, new gti, new wrx, new civic si, fiat abarth, honda fit, mazdaspeed3, mazda3... i LOVED the fiesta ST. that tells you my stance =D

· Registered
1,150 Posts
Commuting to L.A area sucks,
not only is it far but I sit in traffic for about 2 hours each way.
I know these feels. I'm from Oxnard originally.
I'm actually home in CA right now because I've been doing LAPDs hiring process this whole week. Driving to LA at 6am, then back to Ventura county at 4. All the worst times for traffic.

Reactions: AT-AT

· Registered
361 Posts
That's crazy!! Mines my daily/only car, I'm going on 6 months and only at 4600 miles

I'm at 3780 or so and had mine for 2 months

Reactions: DjDevilCloud

· Registered
128 Posts
As previously said, the haunch is good for driving and believe you me, this thing does it well. I'm not sure why ford seat head rests always point fowards. Makes it so you can never wear a backwards hat or have a pony tail, not that i would, but ide like the option.

I'm also not sure why the seats are so thick, especially being recaros. This car could definitely make use of a few more inches of room.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.