Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am about to buy my first car, and I have for years been completely in love with the Focus ST (Mk2 i believe that is). However, the new Fiesta ST also looks amazing and is getting great reviews (I have no interest in the new Focus ST, I really don't like that looks at all, and it's kinda expensive as well)

Especially the cost is the biggest difference between the used Focus ST and a new Fiesta ST.
The used Focus (Low milage and very good condition) is 170.000dkk, and the new Fiesta ST is around 300.000dkk. That's around a 20-30.000 dollar difference. I live in Denmark and I know the prices are absolutely outrageous, but theres nothing to do about that

The big question then is, which one should I buy? I guess the Fiesta is the better car (since it's newer afterall), but is it THAT much better than an 'old" Focus? I will also save some money on insurance on the Fiesta, so that's worth noticing as well.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Well, the running costs on the Fiesta is half of the Focus. Performance wise there is not much between them. The Fiesta handles better, but doesnt have that 5 pot growl of the Focus. With mods, the Fiesta will run with a Focus RS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? I know the mpg is better in the Fiesta, but servicing an old Ford Focus must be some of the cheapest there is. I'm just speculating though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just remember that if you get an older performance oriented car it will likely have been thrashed even if it looks to be in good condition. Doesn't mean it will cause problems, but it is a risk you'll be taking.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just remember that if you get an older performance oriented car it will likely have been thrashed even if it looks to be in good condition. Doesn't mean it will cause problems, but it is a risk you'll be taking.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
The counterpoint is there are lots of people (like enthusiasts on sites like these) who buy performance cars, drive them hard, and love them just as hard (proper maintenance, good products, good oil, etc). When buying a performance car used it's really a matter of feeling out the owner. If the persons has good service records and seems to have cared for the car I wouldn't really have much concern.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here is something else to consider. The used Focus ST is the older model, right? So it is also a generation of tech behind the newer Focus ST. Of which the SVT engineers have said they "took what they learned on the (latest) Focus ST, and improved it more on the (new) Fiesta ST". Even the My Ford Touch/Sync is better on the Fiesta. So going with the Fiesta would be getting the latest of everything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is exactly what I am considering.. However, 60.000 dollars on a Fiesta seems like a lot of money to me.

Can anyone that has driven both maybe sum up the pros and cons of both?

Also I might add that the Fiesta ST here in Europe has 182hp, compared to the 197 you guys get.. That gives the Focus an even bigger lead in the power-department.

·
Registered
65 Posts
We don't get any extra power, but in the US they advertise the overboost numbers.

60,000 dollars (US?) is a lot for a Fiesta, but I assume that all cars are more there the the scale of the difference is the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure it scales, but the more sportier the car, the more expensive taxes it gets. For 60.000 US dollars, in the US, we're in RS5 or M3 territory. A performance car like that costs a cool 250.000-300.000 US dollars here. 300.000 US dollars (in the US) and you pretty much can pick whatever car you want. You know what, fuck this shit. I'm moving!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts