Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, my "old school train of thought" has me thinking about removing the valve cover ventilation breathing tube that re-inserts hot oily air back into the air inlet piping and going with a filter off the valve cover OR one that has an oil baffle and screws into the oil cap threads instead. Anyone else try this yet or does this effect something I am unaware of? I know how valve cover ventilation works (and emissions) but I also know that this can make your intake and intercooler a "dirty" mess (and everyone knows lowering intake temps is a good thing too). I've done this on a few different cars and it didn't hurt anything. Your thoughts? CFM Baffled Billet Valve Cover Breather Kit for 2013 Focus ST/ST250 Wondering if this would screw into the FiST oil cap hole (as a direct fit or is the FoST & FiST oil caps different?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't want to mess with all that (catch can). There's little or no oil in my intake tubing so I am not worried about oil. I bought a plug for my FSWERKs intake, got a new 3/4ths to 3/8s elbow (and reducer) and breather. Breather element will fit under the engine cover, with the breather just poking out. Going to look really nice and functional too. :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
I don't want to mess with all that (catch can). There's little or no oil in my intake tubing so I am not worried about oil. I bought a plug for my FSWERKs intake, got a new 3/4ths to 3/8s elbow (and reducer) and breather. Breather element will fit under the engine cover, with the breather just poking out. Going to look really nice and functional too. :)
Photos when installed please.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
248 Posts
total noob here so all this mechanical mumbo jumbo sorta confuses me but i'm glad you're on this site pelotonracer, just reading a lot of your replies and threads you've commented on helps me learn about turbo engines. :D

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is what the breather looks like installed :) :

Attachments

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
total noob here so all this mechanical mumbo jumbo sorta confuses me but i'm glad you're on this site pelotonracer, just reading a lot of your replies and threads you've commented on helps me learn about turbo engines. :D
No problem pappi16, that's what these forums are for (to share and gain knowledge)! :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey I was curious if this wouldn't cause the system to lose metered air under boost? Being as it's the boost breather effectively venting to atmosphere. I mean would this upset the system causing it to run rich?

Tappin on the phone

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hey I was curious if this wouldn't cause the system to lose metered air under boost? Being as it's the boost breather effectively venting to atmosphere. I mean would this upset the system causing it to run rich?
Nope. The actual air from the intake is not effected and it has nothing to do with boost pressure or boost venting. This mod is just a ventilation system for the valve cover which normally redirects into the intake. It's great for emissions (and keeps hot oily air in a closed circuit), not so great for performance as it adds hot, oily air to your intake (which you want to be as cool as possible) . :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sounds like a good mod then. How dirty is the filter getting so far?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like a good mod then. How dirty is the filter getting so far?
The filter element is still white as snow. I have the breather angled slightly upwards so I doubt any oil will be able to drain out. It just drains back into the engine where it belongs. ;)

·
Registered
545 Posts
The filter element is still white as snow. I have the breather angled slightly upwards so I doubt any oil will be able to drain out. It just drains back into the engine where it belongs. ;)
Would you mind sharing what exactly you bought? I might want to do this at some point, not sure though. Looks like just some tubing and an elbow, but what about that copper looking part? Is that a valve?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts