Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part one: I will get more into this particular car as I get to mine, pictures and advice. I posted this in a different thread but thought I should start a new one here as there will be some very good info to help my fellow enthusiasts out:)

You can get very loud in a hatch with a much smaller system if done right. I used to compete in SQ, have beaten a world champion with two different builds, each of us rebuilt between, been published, know many of the top all time installers and have been into car audio for 46 years, in the industry for around 15 years now as well though retired in 2013.

One car my son and I built: Scion TC in 2005, filled entire chassis with Pur Fil foam, carbon/kevlar roof, caged, SC, custom coilovers, ran TT races and did quite well.....Single sealed Arc 15 sub in a reshaped spare tire hatch floor made from Baltic Birch plywood and fiberglass, 2.0 cubs, 20 lbs empty, solid as a rock. Amps and batter with in front of it in recessed compartments over the axle. With just 1KW power, 2 minute average on music it did 134.4db and beat all the SQ and SQL systems because they blew up, burnt down, etc... as they could not actually play music loud for long, only tone bursts like a giant fart. That car with fat tires, big brakes, two seats and harnesses, interior, AC, was 275 lighter than stock though massively sound deadened using low weight methods, I am going to cover for the ST(ST will be very easy compared to the TC)

There is a huge difference between something like 150.4db as in the other thread and 138eb.4 but I still had full cargo space and it was a great race car and very good on the street at the same time, I believe we can do some great things with the ST even with a little 10" sub or for those that want a bit more a 12" one. I am going to use the tire well for the sub and class H mini amps and carry a tire repair kit, sound deaden the area and still save at least 15 lbs if not 20 over the stock car.

One thing to save some weight is using Alumalite to make a new cargo floor cover. It will have an aluminum grill over the sub, covered both sides with Ensolite and then none backed carpet on the top. It will save at least 3 lbs if not more just for that piece and it is thinner so gain a fraction more cargo space:)

I may move the battery to the rear as well since the amps will be back there and it requires a long cable but I have to calculate the weight differences, using class H amps will reduce the cable size needed as they are very efficient but sound better than D class amps.

If you take your time you can have a superb setup and still not ruin the performance of these great little cars, each added lb makes a bigger difference in a low weight car more than much heavier vehicles.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If there was enough interest in what I am doing I could have a shop I am associated with make a drop in package for other Fiesta owners, all hatches at least, would have to look at the sedans.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I do wish I had a small sub just for a little thump. I don't need to explode windows. I wish they had a hatch panel replacement sort of like the Focus sub. Otherwise I'm looking at one of those under seat amp/sub units. I have a wife and two under 3yo. I need to retain my hatch storage.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a pair of new CDT 6.5 subs I was considering putting in the rear doors, they would provide a bit of bass, hardly any weight added but the doors would need some stiffening up but aluminum channels on the outer skins would cut the weight needed dramatically......I am still considering using them instead of adding a sub in the rear tire well.......

I ordered an Arc Audio 6 channel amp yesterday, 13x6x1.8", 150x4 and 600x1. It is a very high end D class amp, the first time I will of ever used one but they tell me it is great so giving it a try. I have used a ton of their amps, I used their H class KS Mini amps in my C5 and C6 Vette ultra low weight audio packages, amazing little amps, I have one running the sub in my trailer, a 12" Blackline and doing very well on it.

I was going to run the Arc PS8 processor in the car but it is overkill for the simple system I am doing so considering the Audison Bit 10 instead.

I have a pair of great sounding older Arc speakers, ACS65 mids I am going to use as very low in weight, will not quite get it on as the Black Lines, etc but will be fine in a smaller car and with a good processor I can have the sub cut in higher to help them out. I will use the Black Line tweeters in the pillars.

I will have an oustanding sound quality competition capable system but still very low weight. Looking at designing the mount for the amp, processor and sub for quick release for track days.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'de be interested in a plug and play package for the ST. Though with the boston roads and mexican build quality, it will be no time until the panels fall off. lol. I do love bass though (the audio not the fish)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We plan on being in MA, with the car in the trailer and on tracks all over in the area, by fall, we have two grand babies back there:)

Using some well placed deadening mat, foam, silicone sealer, aluminum channels, tie wraps, etc, you can make a car very solid, quieter and not fall apart, not hard to do when you know the tricks, especially if you developed many of them over many years. PM for a link to a guide you can use;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts