Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I got my new Fiesta ST in September (One of the luck few in Canada :) ) and just bought winter tires for it. Since Ford wanted an absurd amount of money for theirs ($1600-1800), I bought mine from a local tire shop. I ordered the tires based on the size posted in the ST Supplement (195/45T16), for about $1100 (still expensive but they are an odd size). When I picked them up I noticed they were a bit small, (about 1 inch in overall height compared to original 17" that came with the car). Now since I downsized the rim, as you should for winter tires, you should be able to keep the rolling diameter the same by using the proper downsize tire. I went back to my dealer to order some mats and inquired again about the sizes and they said Ford had posted a service bulletin to them noting the manual error and providing the correct size (195/50R16). However, Ford has not contacted us (the owners) at all about this issue.
I contacted their support line and after waiting a week (after being told it would be 2 days, and after I placed two follow up calls), they told me that yes, there is a mistake in their book, but no they will not tell owners. Instead they will forward the complaint to their marketing department. As for the tires, I am on my own. I have to fork over another $700 for the proper size and I am stuck with trying to sell the tires (which cannot be returned for liability). The fact that their senior customer support rep was nothing but a teleprompter reading(worse than any other call center person I've ever talked to for this, including Teleco's) arse only made it worse.
Anyways this aside, be warned, the proper winter tires size is 195/50R16 NOT 195/45R16 as the manual states.

I hope none of you else have made this mistake or do in the future.

Cheers,
Rob.

Toronto Ontario

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I'm just wondering, why would people/Ford choose 195/50/16? Original Tire size 205/40/17 is 23.46" in diameter. 195/50/16 is 23.67" in diameter. 205/45/16 is 23.26" in diameter. If it were me, I would buy the 205/45/16, the difference in ride height is 0.1" lower and you still get better grip than the 195/50/16 - which btw is also an odd tire size.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the theory with winter tires is that you want a more narrow tire to decrease the size of the rubber in contact with the ground. This causes there to be more weight per square centimeter giving you better grip in snow. If you look at a tire chart for winter tires, the 195/50R16 is the recommended winter size from the stock 205/40R17. Only reason I chose the 45 was because that's what the manual said, and I didn't look at the chart until after I saw the problem.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I bought 195/45's... Which is OEM sizing in Europe and the likely cause of the error.

That being said, this size gives some extra clearance with chain use, so I'm not going to worry. It does make the car sit slightly lower but oh well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the 45 isn't a bit deal and does afford some extra clearance. I am only a little pissed because I am on a lease and my km go up faster now...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah the 45 isn't a bit deal and does afford some extra clearance. I am only a little pissed because I am on a lease and my km go up faster now...
Hhha ... :) Nice one. You'll burn through your km 2% faster ;) .... that's funny.

OP: I know narrower s better but how bad can 205/45/16 be? I mean, its 205 for crying out loud.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hhha ... :) Nice one. You'll burn through your km 2% faster ;) .... that's funny.
I lose about 6km/100, which is why I'm not really that angry....haha.

I am assuming you mean 205/40/17 (the oem size)? I looked at that size, and it is even harder to find tires of that size (I think pirelli is the only company that makes them, and there's 1 model). Problem with this is that you need a 17x7 rim for the tire which means forking over for alloy rims as you cannot get steels in that size.

·
Registered
85 Posts
No, I meant 205/45/16 - which would still require a new rim, but this tire size would be 0.21" bigger in overall diameter. The tires would be cheaper and the size should be easier to find (I'm assuming)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just went with the OEM size as I'm going to run different wheels/tires for summer. They performed just fine in the seven inches of the white we had this week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
With winter tires, not only you want them narrower, you also don't want them to be very low-profile. Softer sidewalls allow the car to skip around less and have better traction in cold/snowy conditions.
I always use the Miata tire calculator and make my own decisions on tire sizes - check it out: Tire size calculator
I've used that calculator for years, but it's based on Java and shouldn't really be used anymore (unless you like getting viruses on your PC).

Use this one instead: Ejelta.com: Tire Size Calculator: 205/40-17

It has lots more relevant data too.

As to the original topic:
There is a blurb right below the tire size stating it is smaller to accommodate chains, if needed.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
What is the best tire winter size you think for the Fiesta ST 2014

195/50R16
+0.94%

or

205/50R16
2.62%
Winter tire rules as I recall skinny is better hence the 195 gets my vote

1 - 17 of 17 Posts