Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

Picked up my Fiesta ST new last week in Molten Orange - LOVE IT!

I'm not sure if this is a feature of the car.. But I noticed tonight I get a small 'Click' noise when releasing the throttle at low speed (reversing up my drive!)

I can recreate the Click by feathering the throttle when stationery (2000 - 25000rpm). It seems to happen when the revs are falling back, just as its about to hit idle speed.

You can only hear it with the window down - I got my friend to listen under the bonnet,and it seems to originate from the back of the engine.

Dean

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was going to say it sounds like maybe the hill start assist releasing the brakes, but if it's happening with the revs falling back to idle that doesn't sound like the case. Have you taken it to the dealer yet? Great thing about new cars is they're under warranty. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to say it sounds like maybe the hill start assist releasing the brakes, but if it's happening with the revs falling back to idle that doesn't sound like the case. Have you taken it to the dealer yet? Great thing about new cars is they're under warranty. :)
I'm going to pop to the dealer tomorrow and get them to listen to it. Almost sounds like the actuator closing? Hold the revs about 2500rpm, then quickly release the throttle (car stationery, in neutral) - as the revs drop on mine you get this... CLICKK. Aircon off, so not the compressor. Only hear it with the window down

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just noticed it reversing up the drive tonight. Everytime I backed off the throttle it Clicked. Hope its nothing serious! 170 miles on the clock

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'll have to try to duplicate this on mine tonight. I get a very audible double-click when I start the car, originating from the (USDM) Passenger footwell area, but attribute that to the fuse and relay panel being open behind the glove box. I have my Hill Start Assist off, but that releases after about 3 seconds, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me know how you get on :) Take it upto 2000rpm. Quickly feather the throttle to about 2500rpm. Then back of completely.. as mine drops to 1000rpm you hear a Clickkk. Almost like a solenoid activating?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Will do. I don't normally need to rev that high in reverse, but I live in the near-flattest part of Florida. Which side of the car does the sound come from? All windows down, or driver/passenger side?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It'll do it in neutral also, with the vehicle stationery. All windows down sounds like the drivers side - But opening the bonnet and getting my friend to gently rev it it seems to come from the rear, where the turbo is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll let you know if I can duplicate the problem, and if I can figure it out.
I'll try and get a small video clip of the noise tomorrow. My only thoughts is I have some kind of issue with a aux belt tensioner.. Or its the actuator on the turbo closing which I'm hearing

·
Registered
82 Posts
Could not duplicate that in the traffic on the way home, even after several attempts. I did, however, get a small click when in reverse, but only when letting the clutch out. Just a quick hold at about 2k rpms, blip to about 2700, the let it back down to idle, releasing the clutch. It seemed to happen just as the clutch engaged. Did it three times. Methinks it is either connected to the torque strut(s) settling into reverse, or possible a purge to bleed off excess pressure for the reverse gear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's the one! I noticed it in reverse initially, as there is a fence along the drive way - the sound reflects this and is quite noticeable!

Could not duplicate that in the traffic on the way home, even after several attempts. I did, however, get a small click when in reverse, but only when letting the clutch out. Just a quick hold at about 2k rpms, blip to about 2700, the let it back down to idle, releasing the clutch. It seemed to happen just as the clutch engaged. Did it three times. Methinks it is either connected to the torque strut(s) settling into reverse, or possible a purge to bleed off excess pressure for the reverse gear.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Wow, I've watched this video at least 3 times before now, and don't think I noticed that sound before. Or if I had, I would probably have attributed it to ambient shop noise. But you are right, that's the sound.
On a side note, finding that clip, with that noise, sure must have taken a large amount of researching. I applaud you on your efforts, as well as your findings!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That click really bugged me! haha. When first heard it it sounded like a bad engine torque link, or slipping wheel bearing inside the hub. I'm still not 100% sure what it is.. But it seems all ST's make this noise! It's either the cams advancing/retarding, flexi pipe on exaust or the engine mount flexing in reverse.

Wow, I've watched this video at least 3 times before now, and don't think I noticed that sound before. Or if I had, I would probably have attributed it to ambient shop noise. But you are right, that's the sound.
On a side note, finding that clip, with that noise, sure must have taken a large amount of researching. I applaud you on your efforts, as well as your findings!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Also something to think about: it has been noted several times on this forum that the exhaust 'travels' through a large range of motion. Perhaps unintended contact or strain on a mount/hanger. I haven't crawled under mine yet, and if it only happens in reverse (at least in mine), it's probably connected to torque-reversal through the driveline up and into the chassis. This providing it isn't a valve or solenoid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts