Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the last 3 to 4 times I've filled my cars tank up, I'll drive the car for maybe half a mile, come to a stop at a light, and then the RPMs drop and the engine kind of stutters like it wants to die. It recovers and goes back to normal immediately after, but generally it will does this 2-3 times for the first mile or so while the car is stopped. After I drive it for a few minutes the problem is gone completely, or at least until I fill it up again.
The only thing I could think that would do this is water in the tank or a dirty fuel filter? But the car doesnt even have 2000 miles on it yet so I kinda doubt the latter...

Any one else experiencing this?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yeah, that is a bit strange...

Reactions: Kennethver

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean, I guess water in the tank is a possibility since these cars dont have a traditional gas cap... Who knows.
My AFRs are solid though after the hiccups subside. For the whole rest of the tank, the car stalls right arough high 14s low 15s when cruising, and then at idle they are rock solid and barely move at all.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Hey Ive been meaning to question this as it happened once with me while at the pump filling up on 93. I was sitting in my car with it on while it was filling and it stuttered, rpm sunk under idle like it was gonna shut off and I quickly shut the car off. Been waiting for it to happen again but it hasnt.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
54 Posts
Don't add any more fuel after the pump clicks off; on many cars "topping it off" screws up the evaporative emissions system and stalling/hesitation is the result. My son's 2004 X3 would act the same way, but not continuing to fill the tank after the pump clicked off cured the problem.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That's really weird and it seems it's happened to a couple of you. Hopefully not a big issue :eek:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
It happened to me while it was 50% to 75% full. I topped it off last nite and didnt notice it happen again.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Colin - I have the exact same issue described by you down to the t. I only have 600 miles on my car so I've only filled it up twice, but both times the RPMs dropped and sputtered (it actually stalled once) immediately after the fill-up. Once I had a couple miles and a few stoplights under my belt the issue was totally gone, until I had to refill the tank.

I'm also no overfilling it. I know for a fact that the dealership put 87 in my first tank when i bought the car, and I filled it up with 91 for the two subsequent tanks. After the first refill, I thought perhaps the ecu had to readjust to the higher octane but since it also happened on my second refill I doubt that's the issue.

help.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I smell recall in the works. Hill assist or no hill assist this is a problem, a major one in my book. I can only see this getting worse as the mileage gets tacked on. If it happens to me again im making a service appointment. I really dont wanna get stuck somewhere far in this cold :)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I smell recall in the works. Hill assist or no hill assist this is a problem, a major one in my book. I can only see this getting worse as the mileage gets tacked on. If it happens to me again im making a service appointment. I really dont wanna get stuck somewhere far in this cold :)
Yep same here. Happens again, I'm putting the stock tune back on, driving 50 miles or so to get the ecu calibrated and then making the appointment,

·
Registered
120 Posts
sounds to me like fuel evaporative emissions system might be malfunctioning. I had the hill assist on for like 1000 miles before I realized i can turn it off.. It's been off ever since.. I did not get these stutter symptoms before or after, sounds very strange.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts