Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, last night i got the supplies to go ahead and put a clear bra on my car. I went through and masked everything off, went ahead and sprayed and everything looked good. (i hit the fogs and the plastic trim too because i had a huge rock come along and take a good sized chunk out of that) And guess what! It rained last night! So now my clear bra is a spotty disaster that frankly looks quite awful. But overnight it also cured onto the car and now i have this hard orange peeled mess. How would i go about getting it off? Anyone ever dealt with something like this? Please advise.

· Registered
2,234 Posts
Heat gun would be my guess...

edit - wait is this legit clear bra? like the plastic film you cut and squeegee onto the panels? or is this some spray-on coating?
Well, last night i got the supplies to go ahead and put a clear bra on my car. I went through and masked everything off, went ahead and sprayed and everything looked good. (i hit the fogs and the plastic trim too because i had a huge rock come along and take a good sized chunk out of that) And guess what! It rained last night! So now my clear bra is a spotty disaster that frankly looks quite awful. But overnight it also cured onto the car and now i have this hard orange peeled mess. How would i go about getting it off? Anyone ever dealt with something like this? Please advise.
My guess is the spray on kind or why would rain bother it ?

· Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was the spray on stuff. I'm really not sure what to do now but get the front end repainted.

· Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it does, when it's one large piece. This is like hundreds of tiny pieces all clumped and stuck to my paint.

· Registered
2,234 Posts
I'ld check with a local body shop or Detail shop before getting it resprayed. Gotta be a way to get it off without hurting the clearcoat...

· Registered
588 Posts
Almyar. i bet i kknow what will work. It will cost you about 20 bucks. Go to Walmart or an Auto Shop. Buy a clay bar kit. I bet it will take that crap off. If you can find grades look for a medium bar.

· Registered
773 Posts
Almyar. i bet i kknow what will work. It will cost you about 20 bucks. Go to Walmart or an Auto Shop. Buy a clay bar kit. I bet it will take that crap off. If you can find grades look for a medium bar.
I doubt a claybar will do anything because it is supposed to resist rocks, it will laugh at a claybar.

I have heard nothing good about the spray on clear bras. They always come out hazy and never smooth out because everything that dries shrinks. When it shrinks, that is what gives you the orange peel. I would contact the manufacturer and see what they think you should do.

· Registered
588 Posts
I would agree, but if it's spotted it may do the job. It took plastidip off overspray that I saw one time. It's not completely identical, but worth a shot.

· Registered
161 Posts
I wonder if he shot another layer over the area if all of it would peel off together. Just a thought..

Reactions: DjDevilCloud

· Registered
949 Posts
Clay bar won't touch it, that's for minor contamination in the paint like brake dust etc. OP, get some lacquer thinner on a rag and lightly rub it, I'd imagine it would come off, and won't hurt the OEM finish as long as you work small areas. Afterwards wash is and give it a quick polish.

· Registered
588 Posts
You guys aren't looking at what why I am saying the clay bar works. NOT BECAUSE THE CLAR BAR REMOVES SURFACE CRAP, but because its a material he can use to put some force on the surface without hurting the paint. If he goes back and forth over it with some pressure it will probably peel it off. I'm not saying the clay bar itself is actually going to take it off, but using it for the surface torsion might. My friend oversprayed his mustang with plastidip and it was kind of the same situation, wouldn't come off just by going over it with a rag or by trying to power wash it off. I had a clay bar lying around and tried it and it pulled it off with a few circular passes.

Maybe it was a coincidence.

I'm trying to help here. I'd be careful of using anything that eats through clearcoats.

The other guy may be right, what if you sprayed the entire front again, it may peel off.

· Registered
588 Posts
Well the fact that everyone is like clay bar will not do anything. They keep thinking that I am talking about the bar removing the contaminations. I am talking about using it as a removal tool. No shouting, just curious why it's being shot down for a possibly really cheap solution. No it may not do it, but I have not seen any other suggestions other than possibly trying to use thinner or laquer remover. The other option is spraying the entire thing over and hoping it peels off. I'm just pointing out why i believe it will work, and am clarifying. What is it going to hurt if he tries this cheap option? Nothing other than it maybe working. Shit buy it from WalMart try it, and return it if it doesn't work. Just say the clay bar is bad quality or something, Walmart isn't going to give you crap about it.

The guy is asking for suggestions, which I am trying to give him. I don't like that it keeps getting shot down when I am just suggesting something I have used to pull a very similar substance off paint.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.