Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In light of the current GM ignition woes, I wanted to find out what happens when the ignition is shutoff in the FiST while the car is still in motion.

When the ignition shuts off, the power steering is still engaged for a few seconds, BUT! it reverts to the amount of assist when the car is not moving or moving at parking lot speeds - the steering is extremely light! After what felt like 5-7 seconds the steering became very heavy, but still manageable.

The brake system still had enough assist to haul the car down to a stop. After that, the brake pedal was no longer assisted and, as one would expect, became very firm and required a good amount of effort to engage.

I would suggest you guys try the experiment out for yourselves in a controlled environment. Just hold the start button down for a few seconds and the ignition will turn off.

Also, having the transmission in gear or in neutral didn't seem to have much effect on how quickly the car decelerated without the brakes helping slow the car down.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I tried shutting down the car while moving and the car didn't shut down. Weird

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
773 Posts
Not necessarily on topic, but can you bump start the FiST? If so...how?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ignition on (push the start button with clutch engaged), roll then pop the clutch? That's how I'd attempt it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Ignition on (push the start button with clutch engaged), roll then pop the clutch? That's how I'd attempt it.
I haven't tried but I have been forced to do it with other cars in the past. Just curious.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
car on, put it in first, get rolling, pop the clutch super quick. Had to do it a million times over in my Focus ST. Pain in the butt but you get used to it. I fixed the main issue so it doesn't stall on it's own anymore (was a wire splice issue) but man... did I get good at bump starting that sucker!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts