Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am planning to buy this car. But before doing that I need to know what are the common issues/ problems that you guys the owner know and/ or encounter.

Let me know please.

Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The only issues I have heard of would be some clutch issues with some 2013 builds and loose FMIC clamps on some early 2014 builds...I've also heard of a trany issue, but that was the only one I had ever seen....someone else may be able to chime in?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The only issues I have heard of would be some clutch issues with some 2013 builds and loose FMIC clamps on some early 2014 builds...I've also heard of a trany issue, but that was the only one I had ever seen....someone else may be able to chime in?

Cheers :)
What is the issue? Is it covered by warranty? BTW, what is FMIC? Sorry.. ��

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've been following the transmission issue. It looks like some Fiestas had poorly machined parts inside of the transmission casing leading to premature noise and wear of the transmission requiring replacement (some owners have gone through multiple transmissions). I have also seen some owners complaining of premature clutch noise and wear due to cracked clutch plates.

Most seem to have been replaced under warranty. These are the biggest issues I've heard of, but not sure how common they are.

Some other common complaints I've noticed:
1. Creaks and rattles from the interior.
2. Loose side mirrors with noticeable vibration.
3. Thin paint (chips really easily).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been following the transmission issue. It looks like some Fiestas had poorly machined parts inside of the transmission casing leading to premature noise and wear of the transmission requiring replacement (some owners have gone through multiple transmissions). I have also seen some owners complaining of premature clutch noise and wear due to cracked clutch plates.

Most seem to have been replaced under warranty. These are the biggest issues I've heard of, but not sure how common they are.

Some other common complaints I've noticed:
1. Creaks and rattles from the interior.
2. Loose side mirrors with noticeable vibration.
3. Thin paint (chips really easily).
Oh no!!! What country made are they? And what build year are they? Is our German made suffer the same thing as well? Is it covered by warranty here in Aust?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Pretty sure drive train components are made at the same place regardless of where the car is assembled.

The car has a dual-mass fly wheel which is a bit clunky noise wise... I'm not sure how many mistake this
noise for clutch problems. There are a few here with valid issues though.

I would add the Ford My Touch (stereo) is quirky as well, but not a deal breaker.

Remember these cars are hot rodded econo-boxes. The original Fiesta had a much softer suspension,
so (imho) some rattles are inevitable... Fortunately I'm not hearing any yet.

FMIC = Front Mount InterCooler.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Traction is an issue in first and 2nd gear when you get a tune. ??

Other than that, these cars are pretty great. And of course the very few issues mentioned above. I have a few little rattles in mine, but nothing big. Not to noticeable unless in listening for them. I have 4500 miles on mine. And every time I drive it, I get even more excited about it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't know if it's common but I'll put it out there... the button on the hatch doesn't always work even with the key fob right next to it. I can always hit the button on the fob to unlock it, so I've never been locked out, but the rear hatch is supposed to work with the fob in proximity. Even if I've hit the button to unlock all the other doors, the button on the rear hatch doesn't always work. ...

Just sayin'......

·
Registered
46 Posts
From what I can tell most of the ones I have seen have been the Mexican built FiST's sold in North America. Not really sure what build years were affected. Any power train related manufacturing defect should be covered under the manufacturer's warranty.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Speaker cones tear easily in the German version.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what I can tell most of the ones I have seen have been the Mexican built FiST's sold in North America. Not really sure what build years were affected. Any power train related manufacturing defect should be covered under the manufacturer's warranty.
How many of them are German build?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
How many of them are German build?
All 3 dr Firsta ST's are German made and all 5 dr's are from Mexico as far as I know

·
Registered
427 Posts
Although for how long who knows there is talk Asian production may switch to Thailand.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It will be under warranty so don't stress too much... Compared to the FoST the FiST is the good child. It's still a bit early to see what the issues are. Another 12 months and cars will start coming out of warranty then you will hear more.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Our car has had defective radiator, which led to engine replacement. We are now on our 3rd transmission. The rearview mirror on left side has been replaced twice and still vibrates to the point of being unusable. Tires wear very fast even under normal driving. The left windows rattle pretty good too. If I had it to do over would probably try a subaru wrx instead.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Our car has had defective radiator, which led to engine replacement. We are now on our 3rd transmission. The rearview mirror on left side has been replaced twice and still vibrates to the point of being unusable. Tires wear very fast even under normal driving. The left windows rattle pretty good too. If I had it to do over would probably try a subaru wrx instead.
That really sucks, lemon law?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts