Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a decent dual action polisher that will only get used a few times per year. Any brand/models to consider? I certainly don't need anything near what a pro would use so I don't want to break the bank purchasing one.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Harbor Freight has one that goes on sale from time to time in the $50-60 range... I think if I got one, it would be that one - it's a DA polisher, gets decent reviews, and I'd just be using it once or twice a year like you. Certainly a very budget-friendly option.

I always buy things I'm not sure if I'll need from HF - if I use it enough that it breaks, then I know it's worth buying a more expensive nicer one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe, from the reviews, this is the Harbor Freight DA polisher noted previously: 6 in. Variable Speed Dual Action Polisher

6 in. Variable Speed Dual Action Polisher

Chicago Electric Platinum - item # 69924

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yup. That combined with one of the 20-25% off coupons they're always giving away is a great deal.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Overall as a beginner i feel there is more to it then just getting a machine, cause all of the real ones work. Finding the right combo of pad type and size and what compounds can work with your specific paint makes less guesswork for me being a noob. That is why i got the PC cause there are tons of them out there so I could find many good examples of things that work on my specific car.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bought the Girot polishing kit from autogeek.net several years ago when it was on sale. I believe there's another brand on sale this month also. The kit comes with pads and compounds so there is no guesswork. Also comes with an instruction DVD.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Autogeek is my one-stop shop for auto detailing, definitely give them a look.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tried out the HF DA polisher. Got it for about $53 with a 20% off coupon. I had to set it on three to get the thing to turn. Any pressure at all on settings one or two and the pad won't turn. Does that seem correct to your experience? Thanks . . .

·
Registered
63 Posts
No it does not. Exchange it. My HF DA Polisher is set to 1 then I set it to 3 after the product has been spread onto the paint. Use light pressure do not apply alot of pressure. I then use a microfiber towel to wipe off.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
612 Posts
I use the PC7424XP as it's pretty much the top of the line for the novice detailer. Plenty of power to work the product and safe enough to not have to worry about causing damage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use the Harbor Freight one as well, plus the $35 6 pad kit of Lake Country flat pads from Autogeek. Works great, used it to apply Blackfire Wet Diamond on my FiST last week, and polished and waxed my friend's WRX as well. It's definitely solid for the price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts