Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to be in the market for a new car later this year, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Scion FRS and the Fiesta ST. Obviously I'll need to test drive both to determine which is best suited for me.

My question is: should I test drive them now and figure out which is better, even though I wouldn't be purchasing for another few months, or just test drive when I'm actually able to make a purchase?

I'm 21 and have never purchased a car before, and am a manual transmission newbie (but I have driven manual before). Keeping this in mind, should I tell them I won't be making a purchase immediately if I do test drive sooner rather than later?

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I'm hoping to be in the market for a new car later this year, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Scion FRS and the Fiesta ST. Obviously I'll need to test drive both to determine which is best suited for me.

My question is: should I test drive them now and figure out which is better, even though I wouldn't be purchasing for another few months, or just test drive when I'm actually able to make a purchase?

I'm 21 and have never purchased a car before, and am a manual transmission newbie (but I have driven manual before). Keeping this in mind, should I tell them I won't be making a purchase immediately if I do test drive sooner rather than later?
Good luck getting any dealer to let you test drive an FR-S or BR-Z. When you go, dress nice so they're apt to take you more seriously and apt to let you do more. If you are DIE HARD RWD and the car being RWD is your #1 priority, then go FR-S/BRZ. If you want a car that will be usable every day, carry more people and be usable for doing things like taking 2-people's worth of groceries home from ralphs, put a smile on your face every time you get in it and get 26+real world city mpg all the while, go Fiesta.

If you plan to dump $10k more into the car to be a "race car" then go FR-S, or you can just buy a Fiesta ST, and know that in stock form you are faster around a track a) in a straight line b) in the corners than the FR-S.
Or you can buy an FR-S and bitch and moan about how slow it is.|

Both cars have almost 200hp but the torque figure is where the difference is really obvious. Factory rates the Fiesta at 214lb/ft... FR-S is 151lb/ft. That huge torque disparity will become VERY obvious driving the two cars.

Back onto the topic of when to try to test drive. Test drive now so you KNOW what you want and can actually save for it, find the best financing and walk in fully prepared to do the deal.
I also like to make the dealer "work" for the sale. I'm buying a car from you Mr Dealer, and I am doing you a FAVOR by buying this car from you, and you are going to EARN my business.

Treat every visit like a customer service review. If you're treated poorly or not allowed to test drive, call and talk to the manager... you'll get that test drive lickety split.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Test them both now.

When you decide which one you like it will give you time to research the cars. The worst thing you could do it buy a car without doing any research. You need to know the foibles of each car and set reasonable expectations.

The FiST is a great car for the money. It has a usable back seat and is better on fuel. Also, because it is a 4 door econo car and the fact that your 21, your insurance should be significantly less.

You should get as much seat time in each as possible. You can test drive them more than once. Tell the sales person what your intentions are and you should have no issues with test drives. If they give you a fuss about it, tell them that you will take your money elsewhere. There is no reason that you can't drive something before you drop $20,000+ on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent reply. I appreciate the feedback. I'm not going to do any mods or anything like that, so I'm just looking at stock to stock comparisons. I currently drive a 4 cylinder 08 Camry, so I'm sure both cars will be miles ahead in the fun factor, and RWD isn't really a priority, though I'd be able to say I've experienced both configurations.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Excellent reply. I appreciate the feedback. I'm not going to do any mods or anything like that, so I'm just looking at stock to stock comparisons. I currently drive a 4 cylinder 08 Camry, so I'm sure both cars will be miles ahead in the fun factor, and RWD isn't really a priority, though I'd be able to say I've experienced both configurations.
To be honest, 99% of your driving, RWD or FWD will make no difference. If you are tracking the car a ton or drifting, the BRZ/FR-S will be better.

In every day driving on the street, the FiST will feel faster because it has A LOT more torque.

I know quite a few people with the BRZ and FR-S and they like them but if you ever need more than 2 people in the car, the back seat is almost unusable. It is a "sports car" so the name of the game is sacrifice. The Hot Hatches are popular because you have something that is practical and it does 99.9% of what the sports cars can do but costs less to run and insure. A whole lot to like about that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly one of the only things I certainly like better about the frs is the styling, but I could certainly live with the STs design, particularly if it's cheaper and just as fun.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
To be honest, 99% of your driving, RWD or FWD will make no difference. If you are tracking the car a ton or drifting, the BRZ/FR-S will be better.

In every day driving on the street, the FiST will feel faster because it has A LOT more torque.

I know quite a few people with the BRZ and FR-S and they like them but if you ever need more than 2 people in the car, the back seat is almost unusable. It is a "sports car" so the name of the game is sacrifice. The Hot Hatches are popular because you have something that is practical and it does 99.9% of what the sports cars can do but costs less to run and insure. A whole lot to like about that.
Well put... Though I did have 4 people in my FRS and they fit ok once we removed their legs and put them in the trunk... Yes it is that small but a hoot to drift.. Off the line power not so much compared to the Fiesty FiST with a tune so you can use all the torque in the 2nd gear blast to 3rd..
I do enjoy the FiST every time I drive it and I really liked looking at my old FRS when it was parked if that says anything lol Both great cars in their own way ...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
55 Posts
OP, I was just in a similar situation as yourself. I needed a new car, but it wasn't going to be for a few months. I started my car shopping a month or so ago even though I don't need a car until April/May.

I'll make this short.

Sales people will not want to deal with you, knowing you aren't buying today, especially when it comes to the BRZ/FRS and FiST. (I'm 27)

Took 3 trips to a Subaru dealer to test drive a BRZ, and then wouldn't even give me a price until i was ready to sign. Finally got a price and it was terrible even though they are the lowest selling car and had a few 2013s that just couldn't sell. Yet they reluctantly handed over keys for a test drive.. Same at Scion they act as if the car is worth 100,000k and since I wasn't ready to buy today, they didn't want to pull one out. After seeing the ****** deals on them I knew I didn't want one anyway knowing the FiST was out there.

I ordered a FiST knowing by the time it comes in, will be when I actually need it. But I'd probably have bought it if it was on the lot as I wanted it. So be prepared. ( I also test drove every car that was $25k range that got 30mpg)

Knowing what you want will be good, but it will eat at you and make you want it even more after driving it. But then you can just wait for a good deal to come along and it will be simple. Since it's only 2 cars your looking into, I'd wait until you have the money. This way if you find what you love, you won't have to walk away from it.

My guess, you'll end up with a FiST. Way better deals, way more practical as a DD if its your only car, Way fun to drive, better MPG, easy to get more power out of a turbo car and probably 5k cheaper. (i was going to wait for a turbo BRZ, but chances of that are slim and the cars MSRP is already atleast 3000$ over what it should cost)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OP, I was just in a similar situation as yourself. I needed a new car, but it wasn't going to be for a few months. I started my car shopping a month or so ago even though I don't need a car until April/May.

I'll make this short.

Sales people will not want to deal with you, knowing you aren't buying today, especially when it comes to the BRZ/FRS and FiST. (I'm 27)

Took 3 trips to a Subaru dealer to test drive a BRZ, and then wouldn't even give me a price until i was ready to sign. Finally got a price and it was terrible even though they are the lowest selling car and had a few 2013s that just couldn't sell. Yet they reluctantly handed over keys for a test drive.. Same at Scion they act as if the car is worth 100,000k and since I wasn't ready to buy today, they didn't want to pull one out. After seeing the ****** deals on them I knew I didn't want one anyway knowing the FiST was out there.

I ordered a FiST knowing by the time it comes in, will be when I actually need it. But I'd probably have bought it if it was on the lot as I wanted it. So be prepared. ( I also test drove every car that was $25k range that got 30mpg)

Knowing what you want will be good, but it will eat at you and make you want it even more after driving it. But then you can just wait for a good deal to come along and it will be simple. Since it's only 2 cars your looking into, I'd wait until you have the money. This way if you find what you love, you won't have to walk away from it.

My guess, you'll end up with a FiST. Way better deals, way more practical as a DD if its your only car, Way fun to drive, better MPG, easy to get more power out of a turbo car and probably 5k cheaper. (i was going to wait for a turbo BRZ, but chances of that are slim and the cars MSRP is already atleast 3000$ over what it should cost)

So you didn't test drive the fiesta at all?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh no I did, I fell in love with it. And after my experience at Subaru, and realizing how much better of a deal the FiST was i wasnt even interested in the BRZ anymore. It's a beautiful car and id love to make one into a project car. But as a DD I'll pass for almost 30k.

The FiST I test drove was fully loaded and OTD was nearing 29k as a first quote. Didn't want wheel option Nav or roof. I didn't get Recaro either, which I might regret, but at the mid to upper 20s the car wasn't as attractive to me any more. But at 22 OTD best car out there. Fun to drive, great gas mileage and only a few k more than a crappy Hyundai hatch that is sub par driving experience.

If a base FiST was there, it be in my garage getting driven about 10 miles a week. I'm actually looking forward to my longer commute just so I can drive. I don't think I could have walked away without it, even though I know I didn't need it for another 3 months. So just be ready to walk away if you don't have the funds. Plus in a few more months 2015 will be out, including the redesigned gti which will be priced comparable to a Brz.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Those 2 cars, though both sporty small cars really aren't in any way the same. I have driven both and can explain why i say that.

1. fwd vs rwd
2. turbo vs na
3. 2 door vs 5 door
4. price

Over all the BRZ has sportier feeling handling it is super confidence inspiring though that is partially due to the lack of torque. The BRZ has no power under 4k so for dd use its slow and its not a practical dd if it snows. The FiST feels SOOOOO much faster just putzing around on the street, though in reality I don't think that is really true. But the FiST is more fun to drive imo cause you can just drive and always have some torque and for a fwd car it really does feel very good turning. I didn't consider an FRS cause the seat material sucks and I won't buy another dd without heated seats.

To the point, I wouldn't try to test drive a car at 21 till I was ready to buy. Might give you enough power to get the keys. :) Also small changes in the 15 model years might be things you end up wanting so driving a 14 doesn't have a ton of value imo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts