Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have always used Motorcraft 5w20 blend along with a Motorcraft filter in all of my Ecoboost cars. Never had any issues at all. Every 6 months or less regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been using 5w-20 during summer and 0w-20 on winter. I just use any conventional oil since I change it every six months regardless of mileage. My 2014 Fiesta is still running smooth just like I first got it brand new. This is my resource Best 0W-20 And 5W-20 Oils For 2021 | MCrunch.
If you're only changing the "winter" weight, it doesn't do anything at the higher summer temperatures, as evidenced by the chart in your link. Unless you are picking it because the additives in the 0w or 5w are different, the oil behaves like a -20 weight oil regardless of what the "winter" weight is. If you want to change the viscosity during the summer months, go up to -30 weight. I've done this and the engine feels smoother but Ford doesn't recommend (see my below comment).

·
Registered
49 Posts
The best oil for my fiesta ST 2014
To put it simply, companies buy the same base stock from refineries and add their own additives so when you buy one brand instead of another, you're buying the same base stock, just a different additive package. Depending on where you live, what's in the Castrol bottle might be the same base stock as the Pennzoil.

Then you have 3rd tier or "house brands" which are the same motor oils from the big brand names, except they are sold as a private label. I bought NAPA Auto motor oil all the time because it used to be relabeled Valvoline. On sale, it was less than 1/3 of the price of the Valvoline equivalent.

Should you stay with the same brand? Yes and no. In the most ideal situations, the additives each brand uses are proprietary and work best when you consistently use the same brand. In the grand scheme of things, if you're a quart low at some random gas station and don't have a choice, you're safer sticking to the recommended viscosity (5w-20) or whatever -20 weight is available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts