Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in the member intro thread about what tire/wheels I ended up ordering. I bought the MSW Type 23 15" wheels piggybacking on Rodmoe showing that they fit. I went with the 185/60R15 Pirelli Winter Carving Edge, It's a snow (not ice) tire, which is fine for me and the weather I have to deal with. So far it's done well on snow and ice. I can't tell if it's the car that handles the snow/ice so much better or the tires, but I use to have a 2007 Honda Fit with General Altimax Arctic tires, and traction was awful in comparison.

Also the Pirelli tires were $77 each with a $70 prepaid master card coming in the mail, so tough to beat price wise, even if they last half as long as a premium snow tire, it's still worth it.

Also I didn't get TMPS sensors, and as I think someone said in another thread, the TPMS warning goes off EXACTLY 16 miles of driving from away from the TMPS sensors (which are mounted in the factory wheels in my garage).

Anyhoo, I think the MSW wheels look great on a Tuxedo Black car, I'd say if they needed a look for factory snows, this would be my choice.

2014-01-20.jpg

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have the same Color Fiesta St and i have the same Rims (i went with a set of Michelin x-ice snow tires). I think they look great on the car. I generally go with steel wheels but this time around i sprung for this option. For me it was under $100 more and they will continue to look great into the future. All the steel wheels I have bought from tire rack rust badly after the first few winters.
Your car looks great, mine is covered with a coating of road salt. I live in New England and after washing it only looks good for 10 min max due to all the salt they use up here.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same Color Fiesta St and i have the same Rims (i went with a set of Michelin x-ice snow tires). I think they look great on the car. I generally go with steel wheels but this time around i sprung for this option. For me it was under $100 more and they will continue to look great into the future. All the steel wheels I have bought from tire rack rust badly after the first few winters.
Your car looks great, mine is covered with a coating of road salt. I live in New England and after washing it only looks good for 10 min max due to all the salt they use up here.
I had steel wheels on my last car, and they were good after 1 season, but I'm sure these will last much longer. Also I was a little concerned about brake cooling, because of the Torque Vectoring thing, which I'm sure works overtime in the winter with limited traction, and I saw someone post about how steel wheels weren't recommended by Ford because of this {{Citation needed :) }}

They've been laying off the salt lately around here, since it's been so cold, and salt works pretty awful under about 14F, so my car has been staying moderately clean.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
NICE wheels like how they look on a black car now too :) Have you driven it in sport mode with this set up yet ?? it is a blast and Full off is even more fun if you like that sort of tail out driving :) As for keeping it clean i try to wait till its cold enough that the slush gets frozen and i can let the car sit in the garage till the water is off the door seals though it helps to wipe them or you will find out like we did on a road trip the doors stick shut like they are locked LOL nice thing is the windows on this one don't freeze to the rubber seals like my FRS did then you had to reprogram then for auto up/down..

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am so happy you have pictures. I was going to order these wheels and the bridgestone blizzak m60s but it seems that one of them is in a warehouse in Nevada and one is in Louisiana. Shipping combined would be 170+. I am going to see if I can get anything closer. Tire rack has some good deals but I can see why they make you call for a shipping quote sometimes(every time i want to order).

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NICE wheels like how they look on a black car now too :) Have you driven it in sport mode with this set up yet ?? it is a blast and Full off is even more fun if you like that sort of tail out driving :)
I've been experimenting with the traction settings. I'm still not use to how much wheelspin I can get (coming from a 106 HP Honda fit with no torque). Once I figure out throttle feathering I'll probably start running it with TC off. I've been using the middle setting just for getting a feel for the balance of the car and how the tail goes out. Plus I'm still easing into everything during break in. I did my early oil change at 200 miles (royal purple + motorcraft filter)

I am so happy you have pictures. I was going to order these wheels and the bridgestone blizzak m60s but it seems that one of them is in a warehouse in Nevada and one is in Louisiana. Shipping combined would be 170+. I am going to see if I can get anything closer. Tire rack has some good deals but I can see why they make you call for a shipping quote sometimes(every time i want to order).
When I ordered mine, 3 were in Indiana and I had to chat with a tire rack rep to get it ordered. They said they shipped the last wheel to Indiana to get them mounted/balanced, but shipping was only $91 to me (to Grand Rapids area). It took a few extra days waiting for the wheel to get to Indiana, but the tires actually showed up about 12 hours after tire rack said they shipped. The front brakes look HUGE in the "small" 15" wheels.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am almost ready to purchase a 2014 Fiesta ST, but I am concerned about the low profile Potenza summer tires that it comes with. According to some tire stores, these tires are not recommended at below 40 degrees F. Will I damage them or the car if I use them in the winter? Is there a low profile all weather tire I could use instead of them? I checked with a tire store that recommended the Uniroyal Tiger Paw GTZ. Any sugge advice is welcomed! Thanks...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am almost ready to purchase a 2014 Fiesta ST, but I am concerned about the low profile Potenza summer tires that it comes with. According to some tire stores, these tires are not recommended at below 40 degrees F. Will I damage them or the car if I use them in the winter? Is there a low profile all weather tire I could use instead of them? I checked with a tire store that recommended the Uniroyal Tiger Paw GTZ. Any sugge advice is welcomed! Thanks...
Theres a lot of info out there on this. I recommend starting a new thread to get the most exposure for your questions. As for the OEM tires in sub 40 degree weather, it's not bad for the tires, it's bad for traction. It's downright dangerous to use those tires in sub 40 temps because the compound gets really hard and doesn't grip at all, if there's snow, it's even worse. I almost didn't make it into my garage when I drove home from the dealership because the tires had zero grip on my snow covered driveway which is on a tiny slope.

The reason people get different wheels and tires for winter is for a variety of reasons, first you can run a narrower tire, which is better for deep snow traction, your tire will dig in better because there is more weight on each tire instead of floating on the snow with a wide tire. Second, you can run larger sidewalls, this keeps your rims from getting damaged from the crappy road conditions that happen in winter, potholes, snow crud, etc. Also, tires for 15" or 16" wheels are cheaper and you don't have to pay to get tired mounted and unmounted twice a year.

Real car enthusiasts will tell you to run two sets of tires, all season tires are junk, and if you live where it consistently goes below freezing, winter tires in winter and sticky summer tires in summer is soooooo much better than running all seasons. It's more up front cost, but in the long run it's the best safest option.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
As stated before Summer tires and cold do not mix well. If you are going to run only in the cold and no chance of snow the some three season Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus in a 205/45/ 17 would work Ok I have heard good things about this line of tires.. I have used Michelin IceX2 winter tires and like the traction they provided this yr on My ST I opted for a new set of winter ice and snow tires on different rims at tire rack on close out they were less per tire than the ones i mentioned.. If you can get a good deal from a local dealer and if you dont like them they will exchange them for better at a cost then deff look into them as you will be able to go see them rather than call or email someone like tire rack..
Where will you be driving the car the most ??

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello Rodmoe and thank you for your information! I live in Chicago and that is where most of my driving is. I really appreciate the responses from you and Ryst, so thanks again!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OP pic was Sunday... Here's Tuesday:
image-3.jpg
And Wednesday:
image-4.jpg

·
Registered
170 Posts
I got Michelin X-ice tires and some MSW type 19 rims 15 inch from tire rack. Both were in Indiana and they came today just like you said. (ordered yesterday) I will have a new thread with pics up tomorrow. It was cold putting them on today but tire rack was awesome to deal with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts