Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Our car has had defective radiator, which led to engine replacement. We are now on our 3rd transmission. The rearview mirror on left side has been replaced twice and still vibrates to the point of being unusable. Tires wear very fast even under normal driving. The left windows rattle pretty good too. If I had it to do over would probably try a subaru wrx instead.
I've cross shopped the FiST with the WRX too....but it's hard to justify a $30k car as opposed to the FiST that is coming in at under $25k. I guess it'd be worth the extra $5k without all the headaches the FiST has caused.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Our car has had defective radiator, which led to engine replacement. We are now on our 3rd transmission. The rearview mirror on left side has been replaced twice and still vibrates to the point of being unusable. Tires wear very fast even under normal driving. The left windows rattle pretty good too. If I had it to do over would probably try a subaru wrx instead.
What year build your car? And what country made ? 2 door or 4 door?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Clutch master cylinder failed, Clutch slave cylinder failed, Gear box had to come out
buyer be warned- stay very far away from ford service. ever time they touch my car they do more damage.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Holly hamshakels Batman, this seems to be a horribly confused thread!
To the Original Topic starter or OP as known here on the interwebs! I believe that you are in Australia, so if I am incorrect the rest of my post will be wrong but I will give this a go anyway!
Most of the responders to this thread have been from North America, where they get a 5dr version which is ASSEMBLED in Mexico. In Australia we get a 3dr version which is Assembled in one of 2 or 3 different factories in Germany. Both versions have the same gearboxes produced in the UK and engines.
So far in Australia I have only heard of some minor electrical gremlins, 1 with dodgey contacts on the ESC switch and another with an issue with a harness. There has been a few torn speaker cones and loose or missing trims. But I'm pretty sure all were taken care of by Ford.

And I think SVT is like the American equivalent to FPV, as it stands for Special Vehicle Team.

My build : http://www.fiestast.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1412

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've cross shopped the FiST with the WRX too....but it's hard to justify a $30k car as opposed to the FiST that is coming in at under $25k. I guess it'd be worth the extra $5k without all the headaches the FiST has caused.
We picked up our st for under $21k +tax. which makes the wrx look expensive in comparison. But our experience with terrible service, and a seemingly fragile powertrain, make the wrx look like a bargain in hindsight. I wonder what the book value of our car is after all the warranty work with a 20 page carfax report?

·
Registered
29 Posts
we picked up our st for under $21k +tax. Which makes the wrx look expensive in comparison. But our experience with terrible service, and a seemingly fragile powertrain, make the wrx look like a bargain in hindsight. I wonder what the book value of our car is after all the warranty work with a 20 page carfax report?
lemon law!

·
Registered
45 Posts
lemon law!
Lemon laws aren't as simple as you're making them out to be. You can't just walk in and say you want to exchange it. You have to sue them which means you need a lawyer, you have to take time off of work, and pay money up front to the lawyer with no guarantee that the suit will be successful. It's a huge pain in the ass.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Lemon laws aren't as simple as you're making them out to be. You can't just walk in and say you want to exchange it. You have to sue them which means you need a lawyer, you have to take time off of work, and pay money up front to the lawyer with no guarantee that the suit will be successful. It's a huge pain in the ass.
Better call Saul....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been following the transmission issue. It looks like some Fiestas had poorly machined parts inside of the transmission casing leading to premature noise and wear of the transmission requiring replacement (some owners have gone through multiple transmissions). I have also seen some owners complaining of premature clutch noise and wear due to cracked clutch plates.

Most seem to have been replaced under warranty. These are the biggest issues I've heard of, but not sure how common they are.

Some other common complaints I've noticed:
1. Creaks and rattles from the interior.
2. Loose side mirrors with noticeable vibration.
3. Thin paint (chips really easily).
I have experienced every one of these problems except for the side mirrors (yet...)

The first things I noticed were slight rattles from the interior as well as interior trim not fitting correctly (huge gaps between the center screen and dash etc.) and usual tech-gremlins (my sync system is a joke) I just accepted all of that as part of buying an econo-box turned rally car.

The second thing I noticed were paint chips. Yes the paint is really thin and chips easily, but the paint on my FiST also started peeling off in large sections after it chipped. I didn't accept that as a part of buying an econo-box turned rally car. Eventually, Ford repainted my front bumper under warranty. The body shop they sent it to... well... When I picked my car up from the dealer there was a !warning! in the my ford touch system that said the car was stalled at 9:45pm (when my car was supposed to be in the shop). The service department at the dealer called the body shop; the body shop denied everything; at which point the service department wiped their hands of it and claimed they'd "done what they could" (not their car, not their problem).

The third things I noticed were that the black vinyl/sticker trim around the windows started bubbling up and the interior trim inside the small triangular A-Pillar windows started to warp. Also, the seat warmers on my $2,000 Recaro's fluctuate between very hot and basically off every 10 minutes (Ford claims this is also a "normal characteristic of the vehicle"). Again, I just accepted those were a part of buying an econo-box turned rally car.

The fourth thing I noticed was a rattling noise when shifting between gears. The noise grew, and grew, and grew, to the point that it was very loud and present when the car was sitting still and idling. The noise would go away when I depressed the clutch pedal and return when I let the clutch pedal back up. I dropped it off at the dealership and picked it up a week later. The dealership called my issue "engine rollover noise" and a "normal characteristic of the vehicle." I didn't accept that and took my FiST to another local Ford dealer, who determined the noise to be either a throw-out-bearing issue or a clutch issue. I know it's not the clutch because the clutch has never slipped and has never been burned (unless the body shop that repainted the front bumper took my car for a joy ride and stalled it at quarter till 10pm when they were supposed to be closed and my car was supposed to be in their shop, but again "not Ford's problem or liability").
I stopped by the dealer today because the service adviser hasn't been keeping me in the loop. I learned that they hadn't even started on my car, it's just been sitting in the lot, waiting for a lift to open.
MY FIRST 14,730 MILES HAVE NOT BEEN GOOD! I REGRET BUYING MY FIESTA! Which is a shame because I was really excited about the Focus RS and planned on buying one. After this, I think I'll just save up for a performance car that's not such a "bargain." I definitely learned that in life (especially with Ford) you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I got a 2018 S model, 5 speed, standard shift w/t the 1.6l. Hecho en Cuautitlan Mexico. Just turned 16,000 miles. First gear is a little short, and clutching out first gear is a little dicey. Seems (or feels) to me like it has something to do with the "Brake Assist" system, any comments? Can you shut that shit off? Drove VW's for years, can either heal/toe or e-brake on hills. Cars have "Personality" and I'd rate this one between, oh, I guess, an early 1980's Honda CVCC, and the same era Super Beetle. If we had the Sync system in either of those cars... (CB radios, and eight tracks... Yep, I'm old.) So far, so good, planning on doing a little autocross this summer, please let me know what I should look out for. Thanx! G.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts